LAPD DQ'd: I NEED ADVICE!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAPD DQ'd: I NEED ADVICE!

I was recently disqualified from the LAPD last week and need some advice from you guys out there. The three main issues that my case manger said affected me were ‘Interpersonal Skills, Sensitivity for Other’, ‘Maturity and Discipline’, and ‘Honesty, Integrity, and Respect for Others’. In the first one, she that was a minor one and I know it relates to an incident at work were a coworker yelled and used profanity at me. I have a pretty strong case against this one in that I was given an apology from my supervisor and my store manager and was exonerated from any wrongdoing because I did exactly what they asked me to do in that situation (they have zero tolerance for confrontation policy) and the other person was disciplined for the incident. And the other two (the main cause for the DQ) ‘Maturity and Discipline’ and ‘Honesty, Integrity, and Respect for Others’ relates to their indetermination on my amount of drug use and what the think is dishonest about it. To begin with I have only used marijuana and that’s all. My Background Investigator could not determine how many time had I experimented with it in my life time. I initially said, and continue to maintain, that I used it once when I was 16 in 2005, again 3-4 times a month (48 at most) between 1999 & 2000, and last used it once in 2003. They investigated this and spoke to a friend who gave them a number too low of my marijuana use and a former friend who gave them a number too high. These two guys were the last ones I smoked with in 2003. The former friend is currently a pot smoker and I haven’t associated with him since 2003, my current friend around the same time I did in 2003. I plan to appeal the LAPD DQ as soon my friend (who’s also a hotshot law school student) and I finish drafting my letter and review it. My LAPD mentor told me that I needed 4 letters or recommendation with my appeal letter and said with that I would be ‘cool’. And just to throw this in, I’m 4 units away from receiving my BA in Philosophy with an emphasis in Ethics, I volunteer quit often at an elementary school helping kids with their basic arithmetic and reading skill, and I also have done some volunteer work at a homeless shelter feeding the homeless this summer. This being said, I want to know: A) What should I include in my letter of appeal?; B) Who should I get to write my letters of appeal?; C) What are the chances of getting reinstated?; D) When will I hear back from the appeals board?; E) How will this affect my future applications with other departments?, and; F) How should I Address this to these other departments?

Thank you for reading this. I know its super long but I wanted to get you guys an insight into my situation so that you may make a descent assessment.

Just a word of advise too, you might want to check out www.policebackground.net and their forums. It's mostly LAPD centric and they have a section there for being DQed and Appeals. I was in your boat but took the waiting route.

There are two types of letters in this phase, the "soft deny" letter aka. the non-select which gives you a time line to "heal" your background and have you reapply or a "hard deny" where you are deemed ineligible due to your background.

Did they give you a time line on the letter on when they suggest you reapply?
    Consistency isn't always good. Especially if you are consistently wrong.
    Certified Private Pilot

Comment

No they did not give a time line. it only says that I'm not '...among the most qualified candidates and your are being disqualified....our investigation identified concerns related to following background standards." (which i have listed above). Also, it says that if i appeal i have to: 1) discuss any mitigating circumstances that you wish to have considered; 2) provide any relevant and/or supporting documentation; 3)give justification for my continued participation in the selection processes; 4) give accomplishments or personal and/or professional goals that may reflect positively on my candidacy, and; 5) give a brief discussion of the reason i believe i meet each of the six background standards. Further, it says that I have one month to appeal the DQ and that if I '...should attempt to re-enter the Police Officer selection processes at some future date, [I] would need to address these background issues at that time." So, what do you think?

Comment

48 times sound like a lot to me. Especially since they are barley hiring at the moment.

Comment

Without knowing exactly what was written in your package, it is impossible to give you any meaningful advice. All anyone can do is wildly speculate, which is what I will do now.

Based on the cause you quoted in the first incident, it sounds like it didn't matter who was right and who was wrong. They simply felt that your response to the situation reflected a lack of Interpersonal Skills, Sensitivity for Others, Maturity and Discipline, which are minimum requirements for the position you are seeking. If your personal history indicates that you lack any of the minimum qualifications, you get disqualified. I'm not sure what you can write to show that your response to that incident reflected proper Interpersonal Skills, Sensitivity for Others, Maturity and Discipline.

With respect to the second issue, (and again, I am just taking a wild guess) Dishonesty suggests your friends gave the BI a significantly higher number for your marijuana usage that you did. If that is the case, you are going to have to throw your friends under the bus and prove that they are in error and that your numbers are correct. Given that it is a you said, they said situation and you are outnumbered two to one, I'm not sure how that's going to work out. Again, Honesty is one of the minimum requirements for the position. If the evidence suggests that you lack it, you will get disqualified.

Now, here is where I will stop speculating. Civil service is fairly black and white. If you lack even one of the minimum qualifications for the job, civil service law prohibits you from being appointed to that position. That's it. No exceptions. So, four letters of recommendations are fairly meaningless. What you need to do is establish that the department was in error when they determined that you lacked the minimum requirements for the job, which were the basis for your DQ.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

The way I see it, with so many qualified applicants in a down economy, and with so few spots available, the big obstacle is convincing LAPD that you are more worthy than the next guy or girl to be hired. In times past, LAPD was trying vainly to fill a large number of spots with not as many qualified candidates. These days, the economy and a winding down of the war in Iraq has ensured that the few academy spots will go to the most qualified candidates. Look in the mirror, you admitted to smoking marijuana, possibly as many as 48 times. Are you the most qualified candidate?

Comment

Originally posted by QRF View Post
              The way I see it, with so many qualified applicants in a down economy, and with so few spots available, the big obstacle is convincing LAPD that you are more worthy than the next guy or girl to be hired. In times past, LAPD was trying vainly to fill a large number of spots with not as many qualified candidates. These days, the economy and a winding down of the war in Iraq has ensured that the few academy spots will go to the most qualified candidates. Look in the mirror, you admitted to smoking marijuana, possibly as many as 48 times. Are you the most qualified candidate?
              QRF is exactly right, we have slowed our hiring down considerably due to that pesky economy thing (at least we're still hiring; many others aren't). This means we can be a lot more picky then we used to be.

I agree with others here, if you used an ILLEGAL substance possibly as many as 40+ times, you are gonna have a more difficult time over others who have never used it.

By the way, if you're gonna have more long posts, please use paragraphs, they make your long posts much easier to read, not to mention it's proper grammer, especially for someone about to get his BA.

Comment

Originally posted by alicon View Post
                I initially said, and continue to maintain, that I used it once when I was 16 in 2005, again 3-4 times a month (48 at most) between 1999 & 2000, and last used it once in 2003.
                You were 16 years old in 2005? That means you are now at most 20 years old. Furthermore, if you were 16 in 2005, then you were 10-11 years old when you were smoking marijuana between 1999-2000. WOW!

My point is that you really need to write more clearly. You obviously meant something completely different but you were unable to articulate it very well in writing. Take this time to finish your degree and brush up on your writing skills especially if you are tutoring children.

Good luck to you..

Comment

Last edited by SBSO_DISPATCHER; 09-14-2009, 05:44 AM.
                  Gotta catch em allll.........

Comment

Last edited by SBSO_DISPATCHER; 09-14-2009, 05:44 AM.

Comment

I initially said, and continue to maintain, that I used it once when I was 16 in 2005, again 3-4 times a month (48 at most) between 1999 & 2000, and last used it once in 2003.
                      Wait one minute. Your last use was once in 2003 however you also said that you used in 2005 when you were 16?

Trying to figure out your story is giving me a headache!

alicon, please explain..

Comment

Last edited by SBSO_DISPATCHER; 09-14-2009, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Seriously, you are 4 units away of obtaining a B.A. and you can not write in chronological order. Like was mentioned above and just as we are, the B.I. must have been scratching his head at this.

Also college should have taught you to proofread your work, before submitting.

again 3-4 times a month (48 at most) between 1999 & 2000, last used it once in 2003, once when I was 16 in 2005
                          To many joints to be considered "Experimental Usage".

Comment

Last edited by SBSO_DISPATCHER; 09-14-2009, 05:43 AM.

Comment

it wasn't 2005, it was 1995 and it was simple mistake. i wrote hastily, and i'm sorry for the trouble. i thought i was asking a question to a group of police officers and not to a group of English professors. i'm trained in technical writing - although i still need improvement. listen guys, i appreciate your help here. you guys are the best. don't confuse the finger for the moon.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5540 users online. 162 members and 5378 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X