Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride along with CHP

I have one at 5AM today, wish me luck.

Good luck and please post how it went!! I'd love to hear about it--I don't know too much about a day in the life of the CHP (even after I saw the classic photo journal thing).

Comment

Last edited by SBSO_DISPATCHER; 09-14-2009, 05:49 AM.
      Gotta catch em allll.........

Comment

Tell us about it...I have never been out with CHP...always wanted to though. They do things a lot different then us!
        http://www.truepolicestories.net - my website of all my stories as a police officer. Please read it and become a member!

Comment

When I did a ride along with CHP, we pretty much gave out tickets all day. It was my first ride along and I guess I thought we would go on calls, but it's CHP. It was still fun. I would have to say that when I rode with LASD, that was pretty exciting. At least in comparison. Okay, sorry to thread jack...

Comment

Originally posted by serenade84 View Post
            When I did a ride along with CHP, we pretty much gave out tickets all day. It was my first ride along and I guess I thought we would go on calls, but it's CHP. It was still fun. I would have to say that when I rode with LASD, that was pretty exciting. At least in comparison. Okay, sorry to thread jack...
            I did a few ride alongs with CHP back in the 90's, and it was Boooooring. Pretty much the same experience as serenade had, hand out tickets, and go to TC calls, and a few DUI's.

Not my cup of tea, but if it's your, its a good gig.

Comment

Sorry for the delay guys, just got back from 4 day boot camp.

I loved the ride along! Came in at 0500 for briefing, and rode with a young officer. Wrote a few tickets, drove around on 101 and 280. Got ton of information which help me like all the freedom they get, he said I would be able to patrol any city in the Peninsula (the Bay Area people know what I'm talking about) which is my hometown. Transfer out Almost any where in California and not patrol the same city, which makes a lot of sense. We did not get any calls what so ever for 6 hours, so decided to patrol East Palo Alto, know for high crime city. I will be putting in my application soon and recommend anyone thinking about CHP to go for it.

If anybody has any particular question about the ride along feel free ask.

They have the most amazing driving skills i've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Reservetobe View Post
                I did a few ride alongs with CHP back in the 90's, and it was Boooooring. Pretty much the same experience as serenade had, hand out tickets, and go to TC calls, and a few DUI's.

I guess it depends who you ride with.

Comment

Last edited by SBSO_DISPATCHER; 09-14-2009, 05:49 AM.
                  Gotta catch em allll.........

Comment

Originally posted by 92_chp View Post
                    I guess it depends who you ride with.
                    If you are looking to ride with a buddy, ok maybe you can spark up some good conversation, but in the end it's not my cup of tea, not real police work in my opinion. The calls for service are TC's, DUI's etc, yeah you can have an occasional fun night, but mostly boring in my book. I could never do it, but if you like, go for it, I don't begrudge the job, it's just not for me.

Originally posted by SBSO_DISPATCHER View Post
                    how many warnings did you guys write?
                    My guess is not many, CHP not known for warnings on tickets.

Comment

If you are looking to ride with a buddy, ok maybe you can spark up some good conversation, but in the end it's not my cup of tea, not real police work in my opinion.
                      Wondering how someone that does not do police work would qualify this opinion?

I would also council you (as a former reserve) to tread lightly. If you do get hired as a reserve somewhere you have a serious hill to climb to obtain the respect of FT cops. Insulting one of the largest, most well respected agencies in the State is not the way to do it.

Comment

On a side note, one of our deputies turned over a DUI to a chippie unit the other night. They were running partners with a ride along, driving a Charger. So now you have the ride along, sitting in the back of a smaller sedan, riding b***h with 2 fat drunks in the back seat. How is that possible?
                        God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

i'd rather take a DUI than "he hits me" call

Comment

Originally posted by geek4life View Post
                            i'd rather take a DUI than "he hits me" call
                            I totally understand, I am not knocking it, I personally just prefer a little more diversity in assingment.

Another good thing about CHP is they have thus far been immune to the budget cuts, and are still getting OT as much as they want.

Comment

I did a ride along with CHP in the South LA division. Patrolling the 405 was cool. The officer knows how to drive like no other. Learned a lot about the department.

Yeah its true all we did was write some tickets and take accident reports. We gave out 2 warning and 5 tickets. Picked up a gym bag left in the number 1 lane....the traffic break was cool. The freedom was the best part. we did not have to stay on the 405 the whole time. We drove down the 91, the 110, and the 710. I would not want to patrol the LA area for my whole career. I would probably transfer some place where it was less freeway more small highway/small city area. I would imagine those areas have more diversity in the call volume
                              LASD:
                              Written: 01/24/09
                              Background started: 05/05/09 Pending

CHP:
                              Written: 06/20/09
                              Interview: 07/16/09 -Pending results

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3038 users online. 201 members and 2837 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X