Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retired Cop Takes Down Bank Robbery Suspect

SANTA ANA

A retired Long Beach police officer tackled a bank robbery suspect nearly twice her size at a O.C. Bank of America branch Saturday.

"You don't have time to think about it. You just react. It was just all in slow motion, but it really wasn't," said Orel of the robbery that was caught on surveillance video.

A retired Long Beach police officer recounted Monday how she helped tackle a bank robbery suspect nearly twice her weight by putting him in a chokehold at a Bank of America branch in Mission Viejo.

Cynthia Orel, 53, was in an Albertsons market at 25872 Muirlands Blvd. about 12:30 p.m. Saturday when she heard the bank manager shout that the bank had been robbed and the suspect had a gun. It was later learned he did not have a gun, she said.

Tony Baik Fennell, 52, of Las Vegas, was arrested in the skirmish. He is believed to have committed eight to 10 bank robberies, including one in Norco, said Jim Amormino of the Orange County Sheriff's Department.

Arriving deputies simply handcuffed Fennell, who was placed in federal custody in Santa Ana.

Fennell is 6 feet 1 inch and weighs about 220 pounds, while Orel said she is 5 feet 7 inches and weighs 128 pounds.

At a news conference at Orange County sheriff's headquarters, Orel said she retired from the Long Beach Police Department in July 2006 after 25 years on the job. She said simply reverted to instinct and prior training.

"I heard the bank manager yelling, `We've been robbed,' and (the suspect) was walking toward me," Orel said. "It was kind of surreal."

"When a woman yelled out that he had a gun, I looked at all the people and I thought I was going to be sprayed with a bullet," Orel said.

"All I was thinking was that he had a gun and a free hand," Orel said.

Orel said she never gave the size imbalance a thought as she jumped in to help a customer named Ron, who she believes is a personal trainer. She said she later referred to him as "Big Buff Guy."

Ron already had the suspect by one arm, so Orel went around the other side to get behind the suspect, and then put him in the chokehold.

She later heard he lost consciousness twice.

"The move she put stops the blood flow from the carotid artery," Amormino said. "It doesn't matter how big you are because without that blood flowing you're going to pass out."

"She reverted back to her police training as most police officers do," Amormino said.

Orel said she never told the man she is a retired officer.

Orel said she worked patrol, then at Long Beach's police academy at the end of her career.

"I never caught a bank robber," Orel said. "This was pretty exciting just because of the nature.

"You don't have time to think about it. You just react. It was just all in slow motion, but it really wasn't."

Amormino said Orel was "being modest because if it wasn't for the control hold that she placed on him he would not have been rendered unconscious."

"She did have help from Ron and he did play an important part in assisting her in apprehending the suspect, but make no mistake, if it wasn't for her training -- her guts because this incident did require a great deal of guts" the outcome might have been different, Amormino said.

"She obviously (did) not have a gun," Amormino said. "It takes a great amount of courage."

Orel said she knows she doesn't "look lethal."

"I think it's in you," Orel said. "It's in your blood. I definitely didn't think about recognition, about reaction. I just did it."

Orel declined to say why she was in the store, but Amormino denied she was working security.

"She was in the store," he said. "We have to leave it at that."

Fennell's name and photo was withheld because FBI agents have not yet interviewed bank tellers to see if they can identify him, Amormino said.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Awesome!! Dude got "schooled."
    Go back to where ever you came from, smoke a fatty, and sing Kum-Ba-Yah with Osama Bin Laden. Hopefully you will find the Communist Utopia you so desire.

Comment

I like how the media calls it a "Choke Hold". Carotid Restraint is more PC lol
      What if quotas did exist?!

Comment

Definitely old school, as far as I can tell, the Cartoid Restraint Hold is against PNP for most of the academies here in San Diego. They wouldn't teach us how to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by avalon42 View Post
          They wouldn't teach us how to use it.
          Yeah, I wouldn't want to be taught anything which might save my a55 in a struggle with a bank-robbing dirtbag. Verbal Judo fixes everything, right?
          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Definitely old school, as far as I can tell, the Cartoid Restraint Hold is against PNP for most of the academies here in San Diego. They wouldn't teach us how to use it.

Luckily it's still taught in Long Beach. It's effective and when the fight goes to the ground it's usually an option unless the suspect is trained in ground fighting. Then again if they have cauliflower ears I'm just gonna tase 'em.

Re: Officer Orel. Met her many times. Very softspoken.

Comment

I'm sorry avalon...my BJJ instructor taught it to us. The other guys are right, it's a great way to end a fight. (randori of course )

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3875 users online. 170 members and 3705 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X