300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recession

Is there any hope for recent college grads perusing law enforcement careers in California? Especially competing with experienced officers who have recently been layed off? Should they pay their way through an academy and hope for the best or work at a job they hate and pray the economy and budget get better? What do you sworn guys/gals think?
    Last edited by doubleA; 05-20-2009, 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling

well, i think everyone has to start some where right? drop off some applications and be mentally and physically prepared for the job, even a reserved officer would be better then nothing.
    Officer Safety comes first.

Comment

That is the route that I'm taking. I'm currently working on my AA so that i can transfer to a four year to get my BS, and while I'm doing that, I'm putting myself though the modular academy. So that I can become a Reserve Peace Officer. There's no pay or benefits so I need to keep my part time job, but it's a foot though the door. It's a lot money out of the pocket, but I believe it will be well worth it in the end, a degree in one hand and field experience in the other.

Comment

When I was at the San Jose physical, the recruiter recommended against paying your way through an academy as most larger departments prefer you go through theirs. It might make you more appealing to smaller departments, but smaller departments aren't hiring right now.

Comment

There's lots of vacancies in California. You just need to know where to look.

http://po.ca.associationcareernetwor...s=y&stfilter=y

http://www.californiapolicechiefs.or...iles/jobs.html

http://www.porac.org/employment.html

http://www.post.ca.gov/Hiring/Job_Opportunities/

http://jobs.spb.ca.gov/exams_occgroup2.cfm?mac=11

https://www.calopps.org/results.cfm?...Type=&keyword=
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

"recession?" TRY DEPRESSION !!!!! The fickle democrats are clueless, and for the FIRST TIME, even the cut and slash republicans are at each others throats on how to fix our mess !!! California NEEDS fed stimulus $$$ BAD

BTW, put in your apps- it will only be like in the old days where the process will take a little longer ( the days of 6 mos and hired are going to disappear). Expect "plenty" of competition( just read that over 200 showed up for a small San Diego county agency that had barely 2-3 openings- althought not a bad ratio for competition ,considering that 1/1,000 applicants are actually hired !)

You have to have "more" than "I just finished college"- plenty of desk jockeys and the white collar crowd, who would have turned their noses up at " lowly police work" are throwing that out there( most coudln't give a rats
            patootey about being a cop or protecting the public, they just want a $60- $100K/yr job and are way too in a hurry to find a "house" job so that won't have to slum with the peasant uniform patrol guy/gal)

Bring your "A" game when you aplly, and do what "L-1" has suggested to you.Also be "patient"- if you want it you'll get it......
            Last edited by DOAcop38; 05-25-2009, 11:09 PM.
            "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Well at least for now the state LE opportunities are DONE. Budget cuts and slashing the number of employees. I just received a couple thank you for your interest in ______ position, but do to the current budget situation we are beginning a hiring freeze and are unable to fill vacancies. I'm also on the "eligibility list" for several local agencies unable to run an academy and in the depths of hiring freezes. But one must be optimistic and I'll be crossing my fingers for good ol' CHP

Comment

Any other fellow students graduating this year and losing sleep?? I know I am.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleA View Post
                  only from high school :/ So hopefully in like 6 years everything will be sunshine when it comes to this economy...

Comment

I am slated to graduate with my Bachelors the end of this year...I was told 3 times by different ranked officers with different agencies to stay in school and ride it out. So, I am looking into graduate studies or law school, and going to throw in my hat in the reserve officer game to keep me LE experience/skills afloat. We'll see after that.

Comment

Just graduated last week from UofA in Tucson. I'm applying for Southern California PD's, if you think California is bad, you should see Arizona....every PD has been on a freeze for months now. Some in the Phoenix area even had applicants fly out to test, got hired, moved from the east coast and then their entrance into an academy was put on "hold". That hold turned into them having to reapply from step one.

Comment

But regardless doubleA, yes, we have been losing sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Vigilis View Post
                          When I was at the San Jose physical, the recruiter recommended against paying your way through an academy as most larger departments prefer you go through theirs. It might make you more appealing to smaller departments, but smaller departments aren't hiring right now.
                          Putting yourself through the academy on your own dime shows motivation and commitment towards the profession. If that means excluding the small handful of agencies that won't hire you because you didn't go through "their" academy, then I say...so be it.

A person could put themselves through an academy at a Junior College while working full time, then get on as a level I reserve officer at almost any agency in the state. When the economy turns around (and it will) these will be the folks that are in a perfect position to get picked up as a full time officer.

If you were an employer, who would you rather hire....a reserve officer with your department that already made it through the FTO phase of training, or a new guy off the street with zero experience? A known entity vs an unknown...case closed.

If you simply must work for an agency that has their own academy, and will accept nothing less, then have at it. It may not be the most feasible option for a lot of people out there. Good luck.

Comment

I am nervous about it, I want it. But patience is the key. We'll get out of this recession, and there is going to be a hiring frenzy, once money is re-established.

Comment

If you sponsor yourself through the academy and get Post certified, are you considered a "lateral" when applying for jobs?

I feel like most job openings are either "laterals" or "recruits." Where do post trained (self-sponsorship through the academy) fall under?

It seems as though everyone is hiring "laterals" but no one is hiring "recruits"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10826 users online. 379 members and 10447 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X