300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disqualified & Non Select Letters

I have a question regarding DQ and Non-Select letters. I have received a couple different versions;

1. "We have evaluated your application and qualifications for the position of Deputy Sheriff Trainee and regret to inform you that you were not selected for this position due to issues involving blank..."
    This disqualification may be permanent. You are ineligible to reapply within one year of the date of this letter..... "

- LASD

I see both "Not Selected" & "Disqualified," which one is it?

2. "Thank you for your interest in the above referenced position. however, we regret that we cannot allow you to continue in the selection process because you did not attain the required minimum score on the oral interview.
    Please be advised that this acyion does not affect your standing on other eligibility lists, or your right to apply for and compete in future recruitments."

- Ontario PD

Can I assume if the word "DISQUALIFIED" is not in the letter, it's a "Non Select?" Sorry if this may seem confusing but I believe this matters on you PHS forms you turn into a BI. You help is appriciated!
    Last edited by Ricky_G; 04-28-2009, 12:26 AM. Reason: misspelled word
    FCPA Class #36

1. Looks like a DQ, and you can reapply after one year.
    2. Is neither a DQ or NS, it's just a fail on the oral interview.

Comment

#1 depends on what the "issues" were. If it was a matter involving the background, there was something in your personal history that met the criteria for DQ. If it wqs a background issue, they are not specifying whether this is a permanent DQ such as for a felony conviction, or certain drug use, or a limited term DQ such as for experimental marijuana use. Again, without further information it is impossible to tell.

#2 indicates you simply failed the oral and cannot proceed further in the testing process for that position. This does not preclude you from taking the next test. You just got cut for this test.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

#2 indicates you simply failed the oral and cannot proceed further in the testing process for that position. This does not preclude you from taking the next test. You just got cut for this test.
        For future reference, do I list this as a DQ or Non-Select? I know if a BI sees a few DQ's, they just set your packet aside. By choosing the correct word for my situation would it make my packet look more appealing. By no means am I trying to sugar coat anything but presentation is everything and by putting the correct info on your PHS could make or break your chances.
        FCPA Class #36

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky_G View Post
          For future reference, do I list this as a DQ or Non-Select? I know if a BI sees a few DQ's, they just set your packet aside. By choosing the correct word for my situation would it make my packet look more appealing. By no means am I trying to sugar coat anything but presentation is everything and by putting the correct info on your PHS could make or break your chances.
          As I said above, it is neither. Write "failed oral interview".

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky_G View Post
            It is neither. In the case of #2, you simply failed the oral.

BI's do not set your package aside if they see a number of DQs. They are required to conduct an independent background and make a decision based on their department's own unique criteria. This is because standards vary from agency to agency and the quality of investigations may vary from investigator to investigator. Some conduct through investigations, others may conduct sloppy ones (a little while back we fired one of our own for faking her way through, not doing real background investigations and just making stuff up about applicants).

No department wants to rely on someone else's standards or investigative work and POST mandates that each department conduct its own background and decide an applicant's fate based on their own standards and not those of another agency.

If you tested with a civil service agency in California but did not get hired, it will be due to one of the following:

1. You failed some portion of the test (written, oral, physical agility, medical, psych, etc.)

2. You were DQed on the background.

3. You passed the written and oral, but just aren't reachable yet on the list.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Code Seven
              Is that what the letter said? "You are INELIGIBLE to re-apply again?"
              That sounds right, ineligible to re-apply in the next year. That's pretty typical, it's not a permanent DQ, just a temporary one. Usually it's so the applicant can correct the things that got them DQ'd (e.g. employment) or put more time between the things that got them DQ'd (e.g. traffic citations) and re-application.

Comment

Thanks for the information guys, I'll look over all my paper work before going forward in the process so I make sure all my t's are crossed!
                FCPA Class #36

Comment

DQ or Non Select???

Any idea what a reasonable time is to get one of these wonderful letters? I did my expedited test back in October and still have not heard a word from LASD, I did reach my BI and she said it was being reviewed. I applied for the DT and CA position at the same time while I was out their. I get the feeling I was put in the "other pile" I just wish they would give me the news. Any opinons if I should fly back out and apply with LAPD? has things come to a crawl with hiring in CA? Thanks for any assistance on this arduous process.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10237 users online. 482 members and 9755 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X