300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White male in law enforcement.

Hello everyone, first off I have been reading the post on here for quite some time. I was just too lazy to sign up. Anyway here is my question, I just moved from snowy Minnesota to long beach ca to fulfill my career endeavors as a police officer. Since the state of Minnesota only has 7,000 Police Officers, I knew getting hired would be challenging so my girlfriend and I decided to apply with LAPD.

Bri, my girlfriend, was hired in 5 months. My self however has been almost a year with no status update.

A little history about me is I never had been arrested, no drug usage, even pot. I have 50 hours as a gang investigator and 8 law enforcement instructor certs.

Downs...I had been fired when I was 19, and quit one job when I was 23 without giving a notice. Also I had too many jobs as well.

I have been told being a white male that it is really going to hurt me. Is this true? I openly admit I messed up when I was younger but I seem to be stuck without a job I wanted since I was 5. Any other agencies you guy would recommend that are hiring? I dont want to be that guy that screams discrimination because i am not able to be hired. Thanks again guys for the information!!!

Originally posted by Markb1983 View Post
    Downs...I had been fired when I was 19, and quit one job when I was 23 without giving a notice. Also I had too many jobs as well.

I have been told being a white male that it is really going to hurt me. Is this true? I openly admit I messed up when I was younger...
    Several years ago the voters outlawed Affirmative Action in California by ballot initiative after it had run amok for many years. I would take a closer look at your background and personal history.

This is a "last resort of scoundrels" type of job, but its a foot in the door and I don't think they look at you as hard as other agencies. http://jobs.spb.ca.gov/openxrd.cfm?exc=9ML57 Once you establish a stable work history with them, you can look at other places to move to.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Even though the voters outlawed Affirmative Action in CA it still exists in the Police Department. Now, that being said, it is definitely possible for you to get on LAPD. It WILL take longer than it is taking your Girlfriend but you can do it, providing that your background is good and you are able to pass the poly, phsyc........ect..

Ask your girlfriend (when she gets to this point) to make a mental note of how many white males are in her academy class...You will see that they are there and it is possible..

That being said. It is wise not to put all your eggs in one basket so apply all over the So Cal area. Unless it is your dream to work for LAPD and you don't want anything else, which I totaly understand.

Don't give up! It will happen!
      Last edited by VChopefull; 02-18-2009, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Lol, I asked her already and she said about 6 white males out of 75. The majority was hispanic. following black males, asian males,then asian females. She said her class consisted of no black females.

Comment

Wow. That is really low.. In my experience the percentage of white males hasn't been that low. hmmm...

Well........ you could be one of those six!

Comment

lol thanks. I kinda am looking around since i feel that i dont own lapd anything. How's the sheriffs process going with you?

Comment

Are you bi-lingual? Keep in mind that a majority of agencies will utilize bi-lingual officers proportionate to their service area. Spanish is a BIG thing out here, so if you speak/write it, you're on there. I know that LAPD has a "Spanish" course built into their academy, but honestly, they look for you to have that 1-up skill first.

I would use the shotgun approach and apply to as many agencies as possible. Best of luck to you man.
              Last edited by avalon42; 02-18-2009, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Markb1983 View Post
                Lol, I asked her already and she said about 6 white males out of 75. The majority was hispanic. following black males, asian males,then asian females. She said her class consisted of no black females.
                yeah?? what class???? and ,BTW- a whole crap load of "white males" are getting on the job by saying they are "hispanic"( throwing in somebodies grandma on their uncles, sisters side of the family was a "garcia",yadayadayada-work with three newbies fresh out of LAPD academy that couldn't speak spanish to SAVE their lives!).

Blk males have joined the ranks of white males as being on"the shelf" in terms of hiring aims or goals( the city of L.A. wants a Dept of 40% female officers(they only have about 14% female officers)they NEED people who can speak a foreign language( do you know Korean?) they deal with people who are of alternate lifestylew who distrust the police , and the population is almost 50+/- "hispanic", so you are going to see more latinos represented than before)

It really irks me when someone starts with the DORK,TRIFLING, "I'm a white male,am I doomed?" B.S. you want this job, you apply and take your chances.
                In the City of L.A. and LA Co. competition among white male applicants is fierce,and you still see higher numbers represented on the dept than their actual percentage of the city or counties population-Don't have a problem with that as young white males still gravitate to L.E. and see it as a worthwhile career choice, in comparison to Blk males( they make up about 16-17% of the dept for LAPD and for LASD, blks make up only 11%- consistently roughly with the populace).

IF you were to look at other academy classes you'd see that (and I'm sure she would also). with consent decree and the bouman act ruling LAPD and LASD( which I feel are unrealistic and unfair), there is always the choice of the L.A. and so.calif. suburban PDs- they often pay as much or MORE, have better work conditions, and aren't encumbered with issues of "affirmative action" and "mistreatment" of white male applicants. You can check the web site of the L.A county almanac for dept listings or simply view the O.Com listings for agencies under the state of CA.

As for you yourself? let your background and your own personal skills "sell" you- don't worry about what someone else is getting -whether you think its "fair" or not- if that were the case I'd be well glued into a Sgts chair,and preparing to be a Lt. compared to all the "unfair" promotions and cronyism I've seen and had to deal with- still ,I clock my $90K/yr, put a few knuckleheads in jail every now and then, and still shine my badge with pride..............
                Last edited by DOAcop38; 02-18-2009, 03:20 PM.
                "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

I too am a current LAPD applicant, though I am not a white male. I think applying to multiple agencies is the best thing to do. I learned a lot of things from this forum and others like it. The best advice I have been given is that there is an agency out there for you. You can only try your best and not worry about things that are out of your control. I wish you the best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
                    yeah?? what class???? and ,BTW- a whole crap load of "white males" are getting on the job by saying they are "hispanic"( throwing in somebodies grandma on their uncles, sisters side of the family was a "garcia",yadayadayada-work with three newbies fresh out of LAPD academy that couldn't speak spanish to SAVE their lives!).

Blk males have joined the ranks of white males as being on"the shelf" in terms of hiring aims or goals( the city of L.A. wants a Dept of 40% female officers(they only have about 14% female officers)they NEED people who can speak a foreign language( do you know Korean?) they deal with people who are of alternate lifestylew who distrust the police , and the population is almost 50+/- "hispanic", so you are going to see more latinos represented than before)

It really irks me when someone starts with the DORK,TRIFLING, "I'm a white male,am I doomed?" B.S. you want this job, you apply and take your chances.
                    In the City of L.A. and LA Co. competition among white male applicants is fierce,and you still see higher numbers represented on the dept than their actual percentage of the city or counties population-Don't have a problem with that as young white males still gravitate to L.E. and see it as a worthwhile career choice, in comparison to Blk males( they make up about 16-17% of the dept for LAPD and for LASD, blks make up only 11%- consistently roughly with the populace).

IF you were to look at other academy classes you'd see that (and I'm sure she would also). with consent decree and the bouman act ruling LAPD and LASD( which I feel are unrealistic and unfair), there is always the choice of the L.A. and so.calif. suburban PDs- they often pay as much or MORE, have better work conditions, and aren't encumbered with issues of "affirmative action" and "mistreatment" of white male applicants. You can check the web site of the L.A county almanac for dept listings or simply view the O.Com listings for agencies under the state of CA.

As for you yourself? let your background and your own personal skills "sell" you- don't worry about what someone else is getting -whether you think its "fair" or not- if that were the case I'd be well glued into a Sgts chair,and preparing to be a Lt. compared to all the "unfair" promotions and cronyism I've seen and had to deal with- still ,I clock my $90K/yr, put a few knuckleheads in jail every now and then, and still shine my badge with pride..............
                    Very well said!!!
                    You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

I'm currently in the hiring process for OCSD and I haven't seen anything in relation to race or ethnic background questions.
                      NRA Life Member | USMC Life Member | IDPA Member
                      NRA Certified Rifle & Pistol Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post

Very good post. I'm glad you said it.
                        What is Perseverance?
                        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Call me tom:

That's because your in Orange County. Orange County doesn't have the same problems that LAPD and LASD have regarding Race and Sex discrimination.

The ACLU and those types are much more prevalent in the City as opposed to the suburban areas. Explains why La City and LA Co. has to deal with consent decree's and Financial disclosure and a female quota for new hires.
                          Last edited by VChopefull; 02-18-2009, 05:27 PM.

Comment

We don't have any of those problems up here in NorCal. I'm a white male and had no problems getting hired.

I think if you have a good background and can pass the med/psych you gotta a job, just my opinion though. I think the whole "reverse discrimination" is B.S. but again, I'm speaking only of my experience in NorCal.
                            Last edited by CAleo; 02-18-2009, 06:19 PM. Reason: Add more info
                            Go back to where ever you came from, smoke a fatty, and sing Kum-Ba-Yah with Osama Bin Laden. Hopefully you will find the Communist Utopia you so desire.

Comment

I'd be very interested in seeing the ethnic breakdown of deps working for OCSD.

Anybody have that data?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4609 users online. 219 members and 4390 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X