300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian vehicles with red and blue lights

So I see that 538d PC applies to individuals who impersonate peace officers, a misdemeanor.

But how about civilians who install red and blue emergency lights on their vehicle? I located the following, which I assume is an (?)infraction(?):

VC 25269. No person shall display a flashing or steady burning red warning light on a vehicle except as permitted by Section 21055 or when an extreme hazard exists.

But what about a civilian who has the lights installed, but does not use them? And what about a civilian that illegally uses their lights to pull over another vehicle?

I'm sure there are different VC and PC sections that apply to these situations.

I would look at 146 PC and posibly False Imprisonment (I don;t remember the section number). It would just depend on the circumstances of them pulling the vehicle over and what they did next.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

There is no reason, and no excuse, for it.
      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimate86 View Post
        So I see that 538d PC applies to individuals who impersonate peace officers, a misdemeanor.

But how about civilians who install red and blue emergency lights on their vehicle? I located the following, which I assume is an (?)infraction(?):
        According to the vehicle code, it is an infraction to have them installed. However, use of them upgrades the violation to Impersonation and that can become a felony - depending on the circumstances involved.

VC 25269. No person shall display a flashing or steady burning red warning light on a vehicle except as permitted by Section 21055 or when an extreme hazard exists.

But what about a civilian who has the lights installed, but does not use them? And what about a civilian that illegally uses their lights to pull over another vehicle?
        Impersonation!!!

I'm sure there are different VC and PC sections that apply to these situations.
        Yes! Here is part of the applicable section of the Penal Code

146a.
        (a) Any person who falsely represents himself or herself to
        be a deputy or clerk in any state department and who, in that assumed
        character, does any of the following is guilty of a misdemeanor
        punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding six months,
        by a fine not exceeding two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500),
        or both the fine and imprisonment:
        (1) Arrests, detains, or threatens to arrest or detain any person.
        (2) Otherwise intimidates any person.
        (3) Searches any person, building, or other property of any
        person.
        (4) Obtains money, property, or other thing of value.

(b) Any person who falsely represents himself or herself to be a
        public officer, investigator, or inspector in any state department
        and who, in that assumed character, does any of the following shall
        be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year,
        by a fine not exceeding two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500),
        or by both that fine and imprisonment, or by imprisonment in the
        state prison:
        (1) Arrests, detains, or threatens to arrest or detain any person.
        (2) Otherwise intimidates any person.
        (3) Searches any person, building, or other property of any
        person.
        (4) Obtains money, property, or other thing of value.
        Last edited by SgtCHP; 02-16-2009, 06:54 AM.
        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Personally, I think there should be jail time followed by a psychiatric evaluation and probation with mental health terms for these idiot wannabes. A lot of them wind up being rapists and murderers.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

It's sad to know there's people out there who think conducting a traffic stop is "fun", or "cool".

Comment

Are you serious? The driver gets hooked, EVERY equipment violation gets documented on a citation (correctable section NOT checked), pictures taken of the vehicle and driver standing next to the vehicle holding a sign with cite number and date/time on it, and we see him in court.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by Smurfette
              Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
              Originally posted by DAL
              You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Why would someone want to put Red/blue lights on their car if their not trying to impersonate a LEO??

I am confused...

Comment

Originally posted by SDPDApplicant View Post
                  It's sad to know there's people out there who think conducting a traffic stop is "fun", or "cool".

Should I turn in my badge and gun now?

Comment

Originally posted by VChopefull View Post
                    Why would someone want to put Red/blue lights on their car if their not trying to impersonate a LEO??

I am confused...

Tell me about it. There used to be a black Crown Vic (police package) always parked on the street a few blocks from where I previously lived. The car had dark tinted windows, several antennas (Pep Boys) and an aftermarket push bar. You could tell whoever drove it, wanted you to think they were the police. I'm not sure if they had lights installed as the windows were tinted so dark, but 100% sure the vehicle did not belong to any LEO.

Comment

LEO,
                      the reasoning for red and blue, green, pink whatever color is to customize the vehicle. Is it really that hard to understand being you don't know , WHY?? That is why everyone is wanting specialty colors today. We live in America where we get a do what we want when we want it to an extent. It use to be illegal to ride a bike on the road R/W and it made since, but some idiot bike rider grew up became a politician and change the law to fit his kind. Now there all sorts of idiots in the road causing all sorts of road hazards. This is kind of the same deal that out dated laws are not changed to fit society as it change daily. I truly understand and respect the concern of blue and red lights. But if it is not a strobe, flashing or rotating light there should be no issue.
                      I have never seen a LEO car with blue, green, pink headlights ONLY STROBES. Have seen plenty of blue strobe lights that catch the citizens eye and distracts/alarms us of a hazard or illegal doing. Other than that it is just a reason to harass someone for no reason as if there is not something else We all as citizens and you as LEO have plenty of issues that need to be addressed.
                      Those dang pesky colored lights are scary and dangerous look out they might get you....NOT
                      These should not be on the LEO MOST WANTED LIST
                      Respectfully, JB

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Common Sence View Post
                        LEO,
                        the reasoning for red and blue, green, pink whatever color is to customize the vehicle. Is it really that hard to understand being you don't know , WHY?? That is why everyone is wanting specialty colors today. We live in America where we get a do what we want when we want it to an extent. It use to be illegal to ride a bike on the road R/W and it made since, but some idiot bike rider grew up became a politician and change the law to fit his kind. Now there all sorts of idiots in the road causing all sorts of road hazards. This is kind of the same deal that out dated laws are not changed to fit society as it change daily. I truly understand and respect the concern of blue and red lights. But if it is not a strobe, flashing or rotating light there should be no issue.
                        I have never seen a LEO car with blue, green, pink headlights ONLY STROBES. Have seen plenty of blue strobe lights that catch the citizens eye and distracts/alarms us of a hazard or illegal doing. Other than that it is just a reason to harass someone for no reason as if there is not something else We all as citizens and you as LEO have plenty of issues that need to be addressed.
                        Those dang pesky colored lights are scary and dangerous look out they might get you....NOT
                        These should not be on the LEO MOST WANTED LIST
                        Respectfully, JB
                        "Not So Common Sence" <- LOL.

Not "everyone" wants "specialty colors." There are actually very specific reasons why certain colors of lights are restricted. You can't have white lights facing the rear or red lights facing the front just about anywhere for the obvious reason that tail lights are all red and headlights are all white. Having white lights facing the rear will make the people driving behind you at night think there is oncoming traffic in their lane, when instead it's just a damn fool who has to have a special snowflake car.
                        Originally posted by Michigan
                        Now that you mention it, who are you?

Comment

5 year old thread....
                          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

"Common sence", "it made since"...just go away and don't come back until you have made it past fourth grade.

Disrespectfully,

Been there, done that, wrote the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Common Sence View Post
                              Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!
                              Go away...

Respectfully, of course...
                              Super Secret Ninja Squirrel
                              "SSNS"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3268 users online. 224 members and 3044 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X