300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by avalon42 View Post
    I've seen that in my academy...one of the guys (a really good runner) actually tripped up and rolled on HIS head, then rolled up and started running again. Funny and scary at the same time.
    Another guy cleared the wall and during the final sprint to the finish line, wiped out and went knee first into the concrete (sorta sliding on his knees) but quickly got up to finish with 1 second to spare. He scraped his knees pretty bad and bled a little but he laughed, wiped the blood off, and ran the course again for a better time.....and got a heavy applause from all of us for his spirit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sig4U View Post
      Another guy cleared the wall and during the final sprint to the finish line, wiped out and went knee first into the concrete (sorta sliding on his knees) but quickly got up to finish with 1 second to spare. He scraped his knees pretty bad and bled a little but he laughed, wiped the blood off, and ran the course again for a better time.....and got a heavy applause from all of us for his spirit.
      I'll bet he earned some bonus points with the Captain if he was watching.
      Never second guess your own common sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by MidnightBlue View Post
        A side note however...the better you are at running the longer distances the less stressful PT will be once you get to the academy. Don't by any means think that passing a 500 yard run means you're ready for day one. Run, run and when you're done, run some more. The rest will come. Good luck.
        +1

Beware of the treadmill too. It's wise to hit actual pavement. If a treadmill is used for training, put the incline to about three degrees to simulate running on flat ground outside. I've read website claiming one degree of incline equates to outdoor running. Negative Ghostrider!

My personal fitness goals prior to Black Monday:
        1. Run 1.5 miles in 10:00 or less.
        2. Be able to run three miles in under 20:00.
        3. Be able to run up hills without falling out quickly.
        4. Be able to run with a light pack on, with "boots and utes".
        5. 20 dead hang pullups (no "kip").
        6. Perform 75 straight pushups without stopping/resting. Do 600 total pushups per day by 8/31/09.
        7. Perform 80 crunches in 2:00 or less.
        8. Be flexible to avoid injury.
        9. Bench 1.25% body weight without issue.
        10. Climb a rope with only arms, no legs used.
        11. Do the solid wall in 6.25 seconds or less.
        12. Dummy drag in 4.5 seconds or less.
        13. O-Course in 16.5 seconds or less.
        14. 500 yd sprint in 70 seconds or less.

That's not easy for a 38 year old to do, but I have to have goals to aim for. I refuse to have PT be a reason for falling behind in the Academy.

Comment

I'll bet he earned some bonus points with the Captain if he was watching.
          The Captain was briefing the PHQ takers at the time. We just had two Deputies proctoring our tests but I'm sure notes were made.

Comment

• Originally posted by 0341 View Post
            +1

Beware of the treadmill too. It's wise to hit actual pavement. If a treadmill is used for training, put the incline to about three degrees to simulate running on flat ground outside. I've read website claiming one degree of incline equates to outdoor running. Negative Ghostrider!

My personal fitness goals prior to Black Monday:
            1. Run 1.5 miles in 10:00 or less.
            2. Be able to run three miles in under 20:00.
            3. Be able to run up hills without falling out quickly.
            4. Be able to run with a light pack on, with "boots and utes".
            5. 20 dead hang pullups (no "kip").
            6. Perform 75 straight pushups without stopping/resting. Do 600 total pushups per day by 8/31/09.
            7. Perform 80 crunches in 2:00 or less.
            8. Be flexible to avoid injury.
            9. Bench 1.25% body weight without issue.
            10. Climb a rope with only arms, no legs used.
            11. Do the solid wall in 6.25 seconds or less.
            12. Dummy drag in 4.5 seconds or less.
            13. O-Course in 16.5 seconds or less.
            14. 500 yd sprint in 70 seconds or less.

That's not easy for a 38 year old to do, but I have to have goals to aim for. I refuse to have PT be a reason for falling behind in the Academy.
            Regardless of age, those are excellent goals. I'm only 24 but I may incorporate them into my own regimen. Like you, PT is the last reason I'd want to be "on the bubble" (though I wouldn't want to be in that situation at all). And the thing about setting PT goals is that even if you don't reach all of them, the effort you put forth will at least get you in better shape than you were originally.

I also can't back you up enough on the treadmill comment. Many people don't understand that at 0 incline, the treadmill does a great deal of the running for you. All you really have to do is keep up. Great contribution, 0341.

Comment

• Another fault with the treadmill is that it's a surface with much more give. So to go from an all-treadmill routine to all-sidewalk running would be really difficult and would likely result in chin splints. The legs need to become accustomed to the pounding they will take.
              In backgrounds ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Copp'rPenny View Post
                Another fault with the treadmill is that it's a surface with much more give. So to go from an all-treadmill routine to all-sidewalk running would be really difficult and would likely result in chin splints. The legs need to become accustomed to the pounding they will take.
                Typically it's the knees that take the beating in most cases. I agree with you 100%. The treadmill is nice for older guys like me who have some mileage on the bones and joints (years of skateboarding and military hikes). However, good shoes can be had these days...so running on pavement can be done without really hurting too much.

Comment

• I almost forgot! Maybe someone from the February test can confirm this.....

After they first broke us into groups by the first letter of our last name, the Sgt asked if we all had the appropriate footwear on because "someone last month showed up in flip-flops."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sig4U View Post
                    I almost forgot! Maybe someone from the February test can confirm this.....

After they first broke us into groups by the first letter of our last name, the Sgt asked if we all had the appropriate footwear on because "someone last month showed up in flip-flops."
                    I don't recall anyone showing up in flip-flops, but that's hilarious. Anyone from the Feb cycle catch a glimpse? I'd be surprised if they weren't sent packing because they obviously didn't understand what we were there to do.

We did however have some people rolling into the driveway between 7:58 and 8:05, after we were already in formation. They received personal greetings from the Sergeant, Lieutenant and Captain. Ouch.

Comment

• Originally posted by 0341 View Post
                      Typically it's the knees that take the beating in most cases. I agree with you 100%. The treadmill is nice for older guys like me who have some mileage on the bones and joints (years of skateboarding and military hikes). However, good shoes can be had these days...so running on pavement can be done without really hurting too much.
                      My running coach would say that problems with the knees may actually be a problem with the hips, back or IT band. Something may be out of alignment. Or your stride might be too big; the legs really should fall underneath your body, not too far out in front of it. She says with running, pains might not always show up at the source of the pain. Sounds like a good excuse to get a massage! Although my running coach would suggest a chiropractor, I've never been, so I can't say one way or another about that.
                      Last edited by Copp'rPenny; 03-23-2009, 10:05 PM.
                      In backgrounds ...

Comment

I don't recall anyone showing up in flip-flops, but that's hilarious. Anyone from the Feb cycle catch a glimpse? I'd be surprised if they weren't sent packing because they obviously didn't understand what we were there to do.

We did however have some people rolling into the driveway between 7:58 and 8:05, after we were already in formation. They received personal greetings from the Sergeant, Lieutenant and Captain. Ouch.
                        Ya I think he said flip flops....or maybe just sandals in general.

I left my house at 0545 (I live in the Central Valley) and got stuck on HWY 152 because of a wreck that occurred at 0630 and the highway was completely shutdown for about 40mins (5 car T/C with injuries; 1 car down an embankment). I was freaking out because I still had another 30-40min drive ahead of me and I thought for sure that I was gonna be late. I rolled in at about 0745 and got a parking spot.

We, too, had a couple people show up after we were in formation. Embarrassing stuff (for them, anyway).
                        Last edited by Sig4U; 03-23-2009, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• I didn't see anyone in sandals but one guy in my group was wearing water slippers. You know the ones from target or rite aid with the rubber soles and the thin wet suit type material on the top. He didn't do very well.
                          If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
                          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by 08duramax View Post
                            I didn't see anyone in sandals but one guy in my group was wearing water slippers. You know the ones from target or rite aid with the rubber soles and the thin wet suit type material on the top. He didn't do very well.
                            I think we have a winner.

Comment

• That might have been what he was referring to. I was pretty exhausted after the PAT and the long drive home....plus it's been a couple days so I don't remember the Sgt's exact words. Those shoes sound close enough.

Comment

• i was very surprised when i saw him wearing them. they looked like the most uncomfortable thing to run in. i dont think he passed the wall, or had a very hard time with the wall
                                If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
                                Thomas Jefferson

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12203 users online. 458 members and 11745 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X