Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

santa clara sheriff's office hiring process

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Yeah I'm glad I called and got my answer. It reqllly put my mind at ease.
    If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
    Thomas Jefferson

    Comment


    • I'm from an earlier group, currently waiting for the results of my BI. Best of luck to everyone. When I was in the office for my second BI interview, I overheard that the department is planning on hiring 50 officers this year, and they expect to have 100 retirees. Should be plenty of room for everyone.

      Comment


      • that's good news. Good to see some departments still have openings
        If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

        "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
        Thomas Jefferson

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Vigilis View Post
          I'm from an earlier group, currently waiting for the results of my BI. Best of luck to everyone. When I was in the office for my second BI interview, I overheard that the department is planning on hiring 50 officers this year, and they expect to have 100 retirees. Should be plenty of room for everyone.
          That's good news if that hiring plan comes to fruition. I had heard 25-30 spots total would be open.

          If what you say is correct:
          Considering there are 18 recruits in the current Academy now, that would mean they need to put about 32 or more recruits into the September class. Of course that assumes all the current recruits will graduate and it doesn't allow for attrition. If they need to hire 32 more from the September class, then expect a class size of around 35-38 (allows for a 10%-20% failure rate). If more recruits wash out from the current class, then the next class enrollment will likely increase. Just a logical assumption of course, nothing tangible to cling to.

          At today's Background Orientation, there were 22 other candidates besides myself. I'm guessing another five or more are out of area folks who weren't present. So for the February testing group we're looking at less than 30 candidates still in the hunt. 155 showed up to the PAT/written. Since there will be about four pool groups total (Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr) feeding the September class, it's safe to say around 120 legitimate candidates will be competing for ~35 spots. Those are pretty good odds. Factor in attrition from the BI phase, and the odds get even better. Then we might be looking at maybe 100 people competing for ~35 spots.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by MidnightBlue View Post
            Good luck, Sig. Let us know how it goes.
            I passed the Physical today but we'll have to wait and see about the Written. I don't think I did too well on it. This written was so much harder than the previous one I did a couple years ago. Now i'm being kept in suspense until I hear about my score.

            We lost several during the PHQ (drug usage) and during the Physical. Some couldn't make it over the wall and some over-worked themselves on the 500 yard run.

            All in all, it was a good day. Lots of laughs and war stories from the Deputies.

            Comment


            • Good info, guys; thank you. I will be applying with the SCCSO in a little under a year. Best of luck to everyone currently in the process; kick some tail.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Sig4U View Post
                I passed the Physical today but we'll have to wait and see about the Written. I don't think I did too well on it.
                You don't need to score extremely high, you just need to pass. I've been told by a Recruiting Deputy that the candidates are not ranked after the PAT/Written. Everyone is treated equally after passing. I think the PAT/Written scores may only come into play if the SO is having a hard time deciding on final Academy selections given equal candidate qualifications. So, that will help you if you scored low but still passed. Keep the chin up Sig.

                Did people actually fail to complete the 500 yds in your PAT group? I think the allowed time is 3:19. Anything over that is awarded 0 points and should be a fail. I would think people could walk most of it and still pass. Granted, their point total would suffer dramatically...but a pass is a pass.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by MarioS View Post
                  Good info, guys; thank you. I will be applying with the SCCSO in a little under a year. Best of luck to everyone currently in the process; kick some tail.
                  Good luck, Mario. Hopefully things won't be so tight in a year's time.
                  Never second guess your own common sense.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by 0341 View Post
                    You don't need to score extremely high, you just need to pass. I've been told by a Recruiting Deputy that the candidates are not ranked after the PAT/Written. Everyone is treated equally after passing. I think the PAT/Written scores may only come into play if the SO is having a hard time deciding on final Academy selections given equal candidate qualifications. So, that will help you if you scored low but still passed. Keep the chin up Sig.
                    +1

                    Originally posted by 0341 View Post
                    Did people actually fail to complete the 500 yds in your PAT group? I think the allowed time is 3:19. Anything over that is awarded 0 points and should be a fail. I would think people could walk most of it and still pass. Granted, their point total would suffer dramatically...but a pass is a pass.
                    Hit the nail on the head. The PAT is a cumulative test. Even if you don't do your best on the run, you can make it up in other events (wall and obstacle course are your bread and butter). Just make sure you get out and run before the academy. If you're not a runner now, you will be.
                    Never second guess your own common sense.

                    Comment


                    • Post has been edited.
                      Last edited by MarioS; 02-18-2011, 05:47 AM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by MarioS View Post
                        I was a bit worried before because I had read about some other agencies having requirements of 1.5 miles, or somewhere around there. For some reason, I remember someone saying 1.5 miles in 12 minutes...which would be more difficult.
                        Sounds more like the POST requirement. You have to meet it before you graduate the academy. San Jose PD does include a 1.5 mile run in their PAT though, which you have 14:30 to complete. Solano County SO also requires a 1.5 mile run, but you have 18 minutes to complete it in. Those are the only two agencies I've personally seen with a run over 500 yards. Several of the agencies I've tested with only require you to run 220 yards in one minute. That's a brisk walk. I think it's more that they just want to make sure you're in decent shape.

                        A side note however...the better you are at running the longer distances the less stressful PT will be once you get to the academy. Don't by any means think that passing a 500 yard run means you're ready for day one. Run, run and when you're done, run some more. The rest will come. Good luck.
                        Never second guess your own common sense.

                        Comment


                        • LAPD wants you to run the mile in less than 10 minutes. Not for a pt test to get hired but after the second day of the academy.
                          If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

                          "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
                          Thomas Jefferson

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by 08duramax View Post
                            LAPD wants you to run the mile in less than 10 minutes. Not for a pt test to get hired but after the second day of the academy.
                            That sounds about right considering they want you running 8 minute miles by graduation. That's actually a bit slower than SJPD's requirement, assuming you hold the same pace throughout the run. At least they give you until you're in. On the other hand, it wouldn't be fun to make it all the way through the process only to be handed a pink slip because you couldn't make the run. Incentive to be prepared.
                            Never second guess your own common sense.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by 0341 View Post
                              You don't need to score extremely high, you just need to pass. I've been told by a Recruiting Deputy that the candidates are not ranked after the PAT/Written. Everyone is treated equally after passing. I think the PAT/Written scores may only come into play if the SO is having a hard time deciding on final Academy selections given equal candidate qualifications. So, that will help you if you scored low but still passed. Keep the chin up Sig.

                              Did people actually fail to complete the 500 yds in your PAT group? I think the allowed time is 3:19. Anything over that is awarded 0 points and should be a fail. I would think people could walk most of it and still pass. Granted, their point total would suffer dramatically...but a pass is a pass.

                              Thanks for the info. Noone in my group failed the 500yrd run. I came in at 93seconds (and I was the 5th one to pass the finish line). I'm not sure if anyone from the other group failed it or not. We had one guy who is a lateral from Emeryville (think that was it) and during the O-Course, he tripped over the wall at the end and just did a tuck-n-roll right back to his feet and continued running the course. We cheered so much because it looked gnarly and he didn't lose any time.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Sig4U View Post
                                Thanks for the info. Noone in my group failed the 500yrd run. I came in at 93seconds (and I was the 5th one to pass the finish line). I'm not sure if anyone from the other group failed it or not. We had one guy who is a lateral from Emeryville (think that was it) and during the O-Course, he tripped over the wall at the end and just did a tuck-n-roll right back to his feet and continued running the course. We cheered so much because it looked gnarly and he didn't lose any time.
                                I've seen that in my academy...one of the guys (a really good runner) actually tripped up and rolled on HIS head, then rolled up and started running again. Funny and scary at the same time.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 4876 users online. 229 members and 4647 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X