300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MidnightBlue View Post
    So...who's who? If you were at the test today, what was your runner number? I'm trying to place some faces. I was 207.
    I was #187 in Group A. They made a big deal out of me having that number (for obvious reasons). White shirt, dark blue shorts, very short hair, and some leg tattoos. I'm sure I met some of you if you were in my group. I wasn't in the group that had the seizing individual (who had to be medivaced).

I had a good time yesterday. The PAT was pretty easy overall and I'm 38 years old nursing an injury. It was impossible to warm up effectively though, resulting in me pulling a thigh muscle on the first event (solid wall). I had stretched out as much as possible, but stretching cold muscles isn't desirable and can actually hurt things. I had to fight through the pain for the rest of the events. After the O-course, my thigh was on fire. We had the 500 yd run two minutes later and the doubt started to creep into my head. How was I going to do that run when I could hardly walk? I just put me head down and gave it what I had. I still ended up with relatively good time (88 sec) compared to others in my group. Out of ~75 in my group, I must have finished that run in the top 10-12. Mind over matter! Did anybody else think the run was shorter than 500 yds? While the turn at the tree cost me 2-3 seconds, it just seemed like any easier run than what I've practiced in the past.

The written was easy for me since I had studied for it for weeks now. I knew exactly what to study and it paid off. I might have missed five or six questions at the most. We'll see.

There were a few studs in my group, maybe five guys that stood out to me. That was expected. At 38, my goal was to finish in the top 15 in my group for the PAT and then really shine in the academic. From what I can tell, it looks like I was successful in both missions.

I met some nice people too. Really friendly, despite being in a competition. Guy from Orange County even (lined up behind me first thing in the morning while we were waiting in line). That's a drive for sure. Met a fellow former Marine who was even older than me (he was 45). He and I hit it off. It was good to see people supporting their fellow candidates during events. I was certainly cheering people on and enjoyed the overall team spirit of the evolution.

On to the Oral Board...
    Last edited by 0341; 03-01-2009, 02:04 PM. Reason: Corrections.

Comment

that was probably me from orange county. i was wearing a white sweatshirt. i did a 88 second on the 500 too. it did seem a little short.
      If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by 08duramax View Post
        that was probably me from orange county. i was wearing a white sweatshirt. i did a 88 second on the 500 too. it did seem a little short.
        Your last name start with an "A"?

Comment

yeah i was the first in line of the A's. i was in the group that had the guy siezing. it was crazy. i was right next to him when he started.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Looks like I'm the only one here from the second group. Oh well.
            Never second guess your own common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightBlue View Post
              Looks like I'm the only one here from the second group. Oh well.
              Nope, I was mistaken earlier in that I was in Group 2 (not 1). The break point was the letter "L", which put me into Group 2. So you and I were in the same group. How did you do during the tests?

As for Mr. Orange County, yeah...that was you next to me in the morning lineup 08duramax. Good deal.

Anybody know how long until we get word on our results? Two weeks? More? It seemed unclear from what we were told that day.

Comment

I felt pretty good about my testing... He said I was in the neighborhood of 470 points on the physical portion. The written seemed pretty straight forward. I believe he said we'll get scores in about a week and further notification two weeks after that.

Comment

my guy didnt tell us our scores. he said they were confidential. he wouldnt even tell us our times for the o-course. i feel i did good. i had the best time in my group for the body drag. im not worried. these were pass fail. they said they dont really use the scores, just make sure we passed

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I was surprised at the men who couldn't go over the solid wall. I expected people to show up in shape, ready to go. Guess not, some people clearly didn't practice ahead of time or even know what exactly they were getting into. Maybe I expected people to be physically prepared, like most of us? I was wrong. That was an eye opener for me. Onward and upward...

Comment

I just look at it as that many less people to compete against. Don't get me wrong I still tried to help the others in my group but if they were not prepared then
                      Last edited by 08duramax; 03-02-2009, 02:45 AM.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

There was one older guy in our group that didn't make the wall as well. I don't know anything about him, but it really looked like he gave up after the first attempt.

Comment

For those of you who just went through the entrance exams, about how long did it take from the time you turned in your app to the time you were notified of the test date?

Comment

Originally posted by Sig4U View Post
                            For those of you who just went through the entrance exams, about how long did it take from the time you turned in your app to the time you were notified of the test date?
                            Approximately one month for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sig4U View Post
                              It doesn't matter when you turned in your application (unless you failed to submit by the cut off). The County Human Resources rep will send you a test invitation notice about 10-14 days prior to the actual test day. So for this last 2/28 test, we received the notice on or about 2/17 if I recall.

There are two more test dates this year for the SCC9 Academy class. Application cut off was 2/27 for the 3/21 test date and the next application cut off is 3/27 for the 4/18 test date. Since they had a test in Jan as well, that would indicate roughly 600 applicants seeking just 25-30 Academy openings on 9/8.

Comment

Originally posted by 0341 View Post
                                It doesn't matter when you turned in your application (unless you failed to submit by the cut off). The County Human Resources rep will send you a test invitation notice about 10-14 days prior to the actual test day. So for this last 2/28 test, we received the notice on or about 2/17 if I recall.

There are two more test dates this year for the SCC9 Academy class. Application cut off was 2/27 for the 3/21 test date and the next application cut off is 3/27 for the 4/18 test date. Since they had a test in Jan as well, that would indicate roughly 600 applicants seeking just 25-30 Academy openings on 9/8.
                                I made the 2/27 cut off so I'm just waiting for my invite. That test is supposed to be on 3/21? Sounds like it's gonna be a rough and tumble competition with so many people trying to get onboard with SCCSO and only so many spots available.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10013 users online. 343 members and 9670 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X