300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More on Fraud Investigator

First of all, thank you so much to everyone for all of the info provided in last fall’s thread on Fraud Investigator. I didn’t know anything about this specific career, and am very excited that the 4-year degree restrictions have been opened up. Hopefully this work is in my future.

Before I apply, I am in search of answers to the following questions (tried to get them all in a single post):

1. Can anyone provide info on how to determine “basis for eligibility” on the state application? “SROA, surplus, reemployment, reinstatement, transfer, or list eligible” are the options listed on the website. I’m not familiar with what this means, but am guessing that I would be considered “list eligible” if I meet the basic job requirements?
    2. I work in the private sector, but I’m a Sheriff’s Reserve; since I’m technically employed by the county, does this mean that I’m already a state employee?
    3. I noticed that there are several different fraud investigator positions on VPOS; would I be better off applying for all of them at once, or only applying for one at a time?
    4. What kind of questions will likely be on the civil service exam? Are they “how would you react to this”-type of questions?
    5. If accepted, what academy do you go through?
    6. Aside from all the incredibly helpful info contained in last fall’s thread on this, is there anything else that would be good to know about applying for this position?

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

-LAC_LE
    “Let him go, Lou. Someone driving that fast has no time for a ticket.”
    -Chief Wiggum

SROA stands for State Restriction of Appointments. In state service, the only people eligible for appointment to an SROA position are other state employees who:

1. Have already been laid off, or

2. Are currently employed in a job classification that has been scheduled for layoffs. For example, let's say DMV employs 300 investigators but must lay off 30 of them. All 300 become SROA eligible until 30 people leave their positions or the layoffs occur, whichever comes first.

The purpose of SROA is to minimize the number of state employees laid off due to budget cuts, by giving them preference in filling other state jobs. Being a Sheriff's reserve deputy won't help you. Unless you are working for the State of California in a job class designated for layoffs, you are not SROA eligible.

FWIW, checking the State Personnel Board website, I do not see a current exam announcement for Fraud Investigator. In addition, on December 20th, the Governor announced a hiring freeze on state employees and directed state agencies to reduce payrolls by 10%, so I think you may be out of luck when it comes to a state job.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I also noticed CDI's website no longer has the one paragraph saying the Fraud Investigator degree requirement is being updated to include more than Criminal Justice degrees.

Did you find something else on website about the degree requirement changes going into effect?
      Focused Recruit

Comment

Stugotz, the pdf job description that I looked at still only lists Criminal Justice degrees, but they're listed as "desirable qualifications" rather than required. :-)
        -Chief Wiggum

Comment

L-1,

Well, that news is obviously very disappointing, but glad I found out sooner rather than later. Thanks for the prompt & informative reply.

-LAC_LE
          -Chief Wiggum

Comment

i received another "not qualified" letter in the mail couple days ago when i applied for this position a while ago. i have a non-CJ bachelors and a CA POST certificate and LE experience. hmmm...

Comment

Guys/Gals,

As I have previously posted, the degree requirement is being lifted for this position. Unfortunately the process is still ongoing. Apparently there is a bit of work that needs to be done before the change is rolled out.

The exam was just revamped for 2008 from a previous not entry level friendly version. With the degree requirement change the test will need to be redone again. From what I heard the new test may be ready by mid-year, but who knows it could be sooner but most likely later.
              Running is not a plan, running is what you do when a plan fails. -Tremors

Comment

Originally posted by ask80 View Post
                i received another "not qualified" letter in the mail couple days ago when i applied for this position a while ago. i have a non-CJ bachelors and a CA POST certificate and LE experience. hmmm...
                That's odd. It sounds to me like you are qualified to take the exam. How many years of LE experience do you have if you don't mind me asking.

Did the letter say why you didn't qualify?

Comment

For state jobs, keeping all of the above in mind regarding changing standards and the budget cuts, I’m wondering if anyone can advise on:
                  1. Is it acceptable to apply for multiple state jobs in the same departments and/or different departments at the same time?
                  2. Where would be a good place to get study materials for the civil service exams?
                  3. If you’re a non-state employee (and unfamiliar with state hiring practices, as I am), would you consider yourself “list eligible” for basis of eligibility? And does “list eligible” mean simply that you meet the basic job qualifications, but need to take the civil service exam?
                  -Chief Wiggum

Comment

Originally posted by LAC_LE View Post
                    1. Is it acceptable to apply for multiple state jobs in the same departments and/or different departments at the same time?
                    It's not a problem. Sometimes a few panel members will sit on different orals and remember you face. This was a plus for me when I first started in state service.

2. Where would be a good place to get study materials for the civil service exams?
                    The printed exam anouncement (which is usually not available online) often tells you what the test will cover. If you cannot find a printed exam announcement, check the job descrpition specifications, which can be found online and study those areas. Where to find study materials will depend on the positon you are seeking. I would start with the recruiting officer for the agency in question.

3. If you’re a non-state employee (and unfamiliar with state hiring practices, as I am), would you consider yourself “list eligible” for basis of eligibility? And does “list eligible” mean simply that you meet the basic job qualifications, but need to take the civil service exam?
                    To become list eligible for consideration, interested candidates must successfully pass a civil service exam. To be eligible for list appointment, candidates must take the applicable exam and be listed in the first three ranks. Those employees presently on an SROA list or employed by a surplus department in a specific classification designated as surplus are given primary consideration.
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

That's great intel, L-1. Thank you so much.

-LAC_LE
                      -Chief Wiggum

Comment

An exam is now available for Fraud Investigator for the CA DOI. Unfortunately, the minimum requirements stipulate that your BA/AA must in CJ, criminology, etc.

I do not have a BA/AA in LE, but I do have a BA and I’m an LASD Reserve. Per the above posts regarding being qualified on experience, is this enough for me to become eligible for the Fraud Investigator position? Or will the laughter be heard from Commerce to Sacramento if I submit a 678?

Again, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
                        -Chief Wiggum

Comment

I would send in the application. Last I heard they were trying to change the qualifications to include more diverse majors. Just a heads up if you didn't know: DOI investigators are peace officers under 830.3 PC. I have been told there may be weeks or months of office work to make 1 arrest. I am not saying it's a bad gig, but it is different than most jobs discussed on "officer" dot com

Comment

I agree with doubleA in that the job is definitely not a patrol type job. If that's what you're strictly looking for then I would concentrate on getting on with PD/Sheriff/Highway Patrol.

The job is paperwork intensive. If you're not reviewing paperwork, then you're writing it. We also probably file more search warrants than any other California State Agency.

Due to the amount of paper, interviews, search warrants, etc. cases usually do not have quick turn arounds but our conviction rates are through the roof because we have our own dedicated prosecutors whom we work with during pretty much every step of the investigation.

Here is a sample of a case we just filed in Santa Clara County involving 3 suspects:

http://www.claimsjournal.com/news/we...4/22/99819.htm

Comment

Great, thanks for the replies, doubleA and MrVega$. I'm going to send my app in this week and will post any progress here (if such things interest anyone else). Hopefully I'll have good news to report.

For whatever reason I'm more drawn to the investigative side of LE, so this sounds like the kind of work I could really get into.

Hoping for the best....
                              -Chief Wiggum

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2769 users online. 179 members and 2590 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X