Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did RSO use a lottery for the Jan. Academy?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did RSO use a lottery for the Jan. Academy?

Just wondering for the sake of the 50 guys that didn't get the call (of which I am one) what process was used in the selection....anyone know?

Just guessing, but they probably picked the 35 MOST qualified applicants.

Comment

Originally posted by bigwillie909 View Post
      Just guessing, but they probably picked the 35 MOST qualified applicants.
      Most qualified based on what? That's probably what he is asking. I highly doubt it was a lottery though.

Comment

After today's PAT testing, the qualified applicants were allowed to ask questions regarding the background (amongst other testing).

The lead BI said that all things are weighed out evenly (driving record, credit history, signs of integrity/honesty, physical test scores, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by TKDBlack View Post

The lead BI said that all things are weighed out evenly (driving record, credit history, signs of integrity/honesty, physical test scores, etc.)

+1
          "If automobiles had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." --Robert Cringley

Comment

I believe RSO is a civil service agency, which means appointments are made based on one's position on the eligible (hiring) list. Those positions are based on an applicant's written and oral test scores (your background is pass/fail). Highest score is in Rank 1, next highest score is in Rank 2, next highest score after that is in Rank 3, etc. Appointments start at the top of the list (highest score) and work their way down. If you have successfully passed all phases of the testing process, you should have been notified of your position or rank on the eligible list.

If you know where you are on the list, when the list expires, and how many appointments they expect to make before the list expires, you should have a good idea as to when they may get to you. (Don't be afraid to ask - they are not state secrets.) For example, let's say you are number 50 on a list of 200 applicants that will expire two years from now. Let's also assume that they expect to hire 100 applicants over the life of the list. Odds are they are not going to get to your for about 9 to 12 months. OTOH, let's assume you are number 175 on that same list. If they are only planning on hiring 100 people, odds are they will never reach your level before the list expires, so start testing elsewhere.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

This is why you give 110% at PAT testing, no matter how easy it may be to get passing numbers. At my PAT back in October, I saw guys just "cruising" through getting passing scores but nowhere near putting out their all.

I went gung-ho and was pretty much mocked for it. I knew if it came down to all else being equal, they'd start looking at PAT scores to sort everyone out (of course no person's background is ever going to be equal to another's - but you get my point).

Comment

Originally posted by IronBruin View Post
                Most qualified based on what? That's probably what he is asking. I highly doubt it was a lottery though.
                based on their particular hiring standards.

Comment

Like L-1 said, every civil service agency in CA uses an average scoring process to rank qualified candidates. The scoring is taken from written tests, psych tests, PPT trials, backgrounds, experience, education, stability, financial background, medical standiings, etc. You should receive a notice telling you what your number is in the qualified listings. Time and patience is the answer to success if you are among those who are on the list.

From reading the RSO site, I would venture a guess there are a number of laterals that may be joining over first-timers.

Good luck to all of you!
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

From what I heard it was the BI's choice on who they wanted and sold them to the chief who had the final say. That is why I stress looking good and impressing your BI. I'm 33 and haven't taken a test in over 10+ years. I had no clue what to study and just passed with a 45 on the POST test. I can't believe how much vocabulary I have forgotten over the years. I heard people were getting 66+ on that same test so I highly doubt it was a point system. I also had no clue what to expect during the PAT and just made sure I finished every event. I did good but some people were going nuts. I have really good people skills and put 16.5 years at my "now" past job. You might do extremely well in test taking but have horrible people skills and maybe not as reliable as someone else. Rich did you call your BI and ask them personnally?

Comment

Originally posted by Bosss Hog View Post
                      From what I heard it was the BI's choice on who they wanted and sold them to the chief who had the final say. That is why I stress looking good and impressing your BI. I'm 33 and haven't taken a test in over 10+ years. I had no clue what to study and just passed with a 45 on the POST test. I can't believe how much vocabulary I have forgotten over the years. I heard people were getting 66+ on that same test so I highly doubt it was a point system. I also had no clue what to expect during the PAT and just made sure I finished every event. I did good but some people were going nuts. I have really good people skills and put 16.5 years at my "now" past job. You might do extremely well in test taking but have horrible people skills and maybe not as reliable as someone else. Rich did you call your BI and ask them personnally?
                      +1. This is what I have heard as well. The BI gives their opinion as to who they really like in their set of files and the brass will, of course, usually go with who the BI's like most. If you notice, they make a point of saying all steps are pass/fail and that scores don't mean squat. Unfortunate for those who kill the written & PAT. Perhaps there are scenarios where they defer to testing results to make a decision, but I have heard what Bosss posted above.

Comment

What happens to the 50 left....anyone else here in that group?

I left a phone message for my BI and sent two e-mails. It has been over a week....but no response. So, it's hard to know if calling again makes you seem like a pest or if it shows determination. There are 50 guys left out of the 85 approved, that didn't make it into this academy. What I am trying to understand is this...If they are going on overall scores, then are they going to take the next round of guys coming in, like the 800 who just showed up to the PAT and add them in with the 50 already approved, and take the best scores for the next Academy out of that group, and the original 50 just get swallowed up on the list. The thing is, I passed through everything without a hitch, no second Psych., no problems, no issues....iin fact my BI said I passed with "flying colors." Are some of you saying the your BI has to go in and pull for you to be selected for an Academy?

Comment

Originally posted by RichB60 View Post
                          I left a phone message for my BI and sent two e-mails. It has been over a week....but no response. So, it's hard to know if calling again makes you seem like a pest or if it shows determination. There are 50 guys left out of the 85 approved, that didn't make it into this academy. What I am trying to understand is this...If they are going on overall scores, then are they going to take the next round of guys coming in, like the 800 who just showed up to the PAT and add them in with the 50 already approved, and take the best scores for the next Academy out of that group, and the original 50 just get swallowed up on the list. The thing is, I passed through everything without a hitch, no second Psych., no problems, no issues....iin fact my BI said I passed with "flying colors." Are some of you saying the your BI has to go in and pull for you to be selected for an Academy?
                          My guess would be that you will get in next academy before any of these recent people. It would seem to me that you were given a conditional offer and you met those conditions so they should take you next. Don't stress, your 99% there. You've jumped through all the hoops. Now, you just have to wait. and wait, and wait...

Comment

Originally posted by Bosss Hog View Post
                            From what I heard it was the BI's choice on who they wanted and sold them to the chief who had the final say. That is why I stress looking good and impressing your BI. I had no clue what to study and just passed with a 45 on the POST test. I heard people were getting 66+ on that same test so I highly doubt it was a point system.
                            Originally posted by avaand View Post
                            +1. This is what I have heard as well. The BI gives their opinion as to who they really like in their set of files and the brass will, of course, usually go with who the BI's like most. If you notice, they make a point of saying all steps are pass/fail and that scores don't mean squat. Unfortunate for those who kill the written & PAT. Perhaps there are scenarios where they defer to testing results to make a decision, but I have heard what Bosss posted above.
                            OK, I give up. Between the two of us, CHP Sgt. & I only have around 60 years in the business, so we probably don't know what we're talking about.

So, let's assume CHP Sgt. and I are wrong and you are right. Let's assume that as you say, testing is just a sham, test scores mean nothing, that the good old boy system is in play and they only hire those that they "like." Let me pose the following question:

Let's assume for sake of argument that five people who scored high on their tests, do not get hired, They all file discrimination lawsuits against the Sheriff's department claiming that their denial of employment was not because they were unqualified or lacked merit, Instead, one says it was based on race, another says it was based on gender, another says it was based on sexual orientation, another says it was based on age, and another says it was based on political beliefs. All point out that the Riverside County Human Resources webpage says that selection for jobs is based on testing, that they got high scores and were passed over anyway.

If the good old boy system is in play as you indicate, how will the Sheriff's Department and the County be able to defend themselves against such a suit if they are unable to point to a valid, job related testing program where people are hired or eliminated based on merit alone and everyone is treated even handedly?

Instead of scaring yourself with rumors. call Riverside County Human Resources and ask them how the selection process in general works. Ask them where you are on the list (it's not a state secret). In all candor, if I was your BI, I had read these posts and I knew who you were, I would concerns about you. Your willingness to succumb to and publicly spread negative rumors about the department's hiring process rather than take the initiative to research and gather facts, suggests you are lacking in the areas of maturity, industry, thoroughness, accuracy, good judgment, initiative and resourcefulness. These are all minimum qualifications for the position of a peace officer with most agencies and weakness in these areas can be grounds for DQ.

Comment

Originally posted by RichB60 View Post
                              Some agencies hold a test, the list from which is good for a certain period. Starting at the top and working their way to the bottom, they can only hire from that list until it expires. Then they hold a new test.

However, some agencies have continuous testing where they integrate the latest test scores into the existing list which may never expire. You could have a score of 85 and be #30 on the list today, but if they give a new test next week and 25 people get scores above 85, all of a sudden you could sink to #55 on the list. It could be that RSO engages in the continuous testing process, which means that if others come in later and score higher than you did, you will keep getting bumped back.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11974 users online. 473 members and 11501 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X