Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passing the Police PSYCH examination

Hello everyone,

My friend is about to finish his process with a department and is about to go to a Police Psych exam. He asked me if I knew anything, and there was only limited information I knew enough to share with him...

I have heard many different things regarding the Police Psych exam and they range from, of course, the obvious, being yourself, being truthful, being honest, by answering the "right" answers... AS WELL AS.. to answering the questions "correctly"... because answering the right questions is not always the correct thing to do..

The only prime example I could give, is seeing how my friend, only being 2 days away from the SBSO academy getting rejected from his psychologist because he said he was "not yet ready for the emotional rollercoaster ride of law enforcement". I don't really know what that means, because he was a Cadet for years with the Riverside Police Department, and he also served as an eagle scout prior to joining RPD's Cadet Program. His midset was set to become a police officer, and hes probably one of the most proper "goodie-tooshoo" person I know... what could have gone wrong?

I don't want to throw myself off by over preparing for this but, I would just like to see what you guys have to say about this.. any comments are appreciate! thanks!
    Last edited by wanton; 12-01-2008, 09:28 PM. Reason: error!

I know a guy who did not pass his first one, he was honest but answered with a slight lean towards being "good". He figured he would paint a better picture of himself.
    He failed.
    He took it again 6 weeks later for another dept and passed. (same guy gave the test) This time he was a little more honest and made no attempt at sugar coating himself.

I took one and passed it. I have another tomorrow. I was 100% honest and tried not to read too much into the questions. "I hate some people" Yes- that is true. Not pretty but true. (do I hate them enough to want them dead, no. Have I said, "boy, I hate that guy!" YES!) So I did not read much into it, I answered with what came to mind first. Q: Sometimes I get mad and I want to punch someone? A: Yes. Again, I don't hit people but there have been times when I would have liked to. Being a mature person, I refrain from that. But the question was not if I did it- it is if I want to. Everyone has wanted to punch someone at one time or another.
    The psych was really easy for me. The interview was quick, questions weren't bad. I did not answer all the questions and he went over each one I missed and made me answer. I just did not have an answer for some of them! This time I'll answer them all!

Maybe others here have more info. I was told to go through quickly, be honest and not think too much about the questions. It worked for me.

Comment

Thanks bakonnewbie. Please let me know how it goes tomorrow on yours! (and good luck.. but you probably won't need it!)

Comment

Originally posted by wanton View Post
        My friend is about to finish his process with a department and is about to go to a Police Psych exam. /snip/
        I don't want to throw myself off by over preparing for this but,
        So who is really taking the test? You or your "friend"?
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
          So who is really taking the test? You or your "friend"?
          I guess I forgot to say that my friend is taking it soon, but I know since I'm in the process, I would eventually have to do it sooner or later for MY agency later on...

Comment

Originally posted by wanton View Post
            Hello everyone,

My friend is about to finish his process with a department and is about to go to a Police Psych exam. He asked me if I knew anything, and there was only limited information I knew enough to share with him...

I have heard many different things regarding the Police Psych exam and they range from, of course, the obvious, being yourself, being truthful, being honest, by answering the "right" answers... AS WELL AS.. to answering the questions "correctly"... because answering the right questions is not always the correct thing to do..

The only prime example I could give, is seeing how my friend, only being 2 days away from the SBSO academy getting rejected from his psychologist because he said he was "not yet ready for the emotional rollercoaster ride of law enforcement". I don't really know what that means, because he was a Cadet for years with the Riverside Police Department, and he also served as an eagle scout prior to joining RPD's Cadet Program. His midset was set to become a police officer, and hes probably one of the most proper "goodie-tooshoo" person I know... what could have gone wrong?

I don't want to throw myself off by over preparing for this but, I would just like to see what you guys have to say about this.. any comments are appreciate! thanks!
            You just answered your own question. "Lack of life experience" and being able to walk in the shoes of another.

But then again, another PSYCHO-logist may give you a different opinion.

Comment

Failing one agency's psych test, then passing another agency's psych test administered by the same psychologist may also be an issue of the two departments having different cut-off levels of types of employees they want to hire. An a55-kicking department, with a stuck-in-the-60's a55-kicking chief may not want any alter boys working their town, while the 1990's progressive, community-oriented policing manager wants no brawlers.

Agency A may take those who score 65% or better, Agency B may take those who score 60%. Agency A may like cops who can go it alone, for hours at a time, since they have a small department with limited resources. Agency B may not like lone-wolves, because they're larger and need people who can (and will) work well with others. It is not a "one-size fits-all" world when it comes to getting hired. Different agencies = different needs.

What they (the psychologists) are looking for is honesty. You don't "love" everyone and they know it. (That's not a real question, anyways) Don't say you're there to kick a55 and take names, and don't tell 'em you there to hug everyone into compliance with the rules of a polite society - thinking it will get you a job, they'll see through it. The other thing they want to know is that you have the patience to answer a 550+ question test, filled with the most silly and improbable questions you've ever been asked. Can you follow directions? Can you answer these hundreds of questions without melting down?
              "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

After reading all this it has gotten me worried about psych. evaluation. I just took mine recently. I have a very clean background and grew up with a good family. I told him that i don't really get mad and can't remember the last time i really was. I think the psych. might use this "lack of life experience" evaluation to fail me.

I will probably find out by the end of this week if i am hired...time is going by slow!

Comment

LanJai,

I would not stress, I had a pretty clean background and answered some of the questions "like I thought I should", but i believe the test expects that which is why they ask so MANY questions over and over again. Psych tests should not worry you unless you are crazy! . Just always answer honestly and you'll pass.

Originally posted by LanJai View Post
                  After reading all this it has gotten me worried about psych. evaluation. I just took mine recently. I have a very clean background and grew up with a good family. I told him that i don't really get mad and can't remember the last time i really was. I think the psych. might use this "lack of life experience" evaluation to fail me.

I will probably find out by the end of this week if i am hired...time is going by slow!

Comment

I don't think there is anything anyone can say to help you pass the psych. You will be asked hundred of questions in both a written exam and a personal, face to face meeting that measure many different personality traits. There are just too many factors being looked at to provide you with significant help.

However, I can give you an idea of what they are looking at. When you see the list, you will understand why there is no way to help you on the test. You just have to be yourself and let the chips fall where they may. Check out http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/psy...cal-traits.pdf
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

The Psych exam is the only thing I never failed and probably the one thing I should have.

I tested with so many agencies I eventually established a system that allowed me to take it in half the time. Since every answer is likely a no;

Someone is trying to poison me

I like to eat flesh

and so on

Rather than sit there going

no
                      no
                      no
                      let me think, uh no
                      God no
                      Oh my God, no
                      Then about every tenth question
                      well I guess yes (To the forest ranger question for example)

Then you only mark the yes. Be sure when you mark the yes answers you are marking the correct questions which saves you from the main problem of getting off track and skipping a question. The main benefit is its way quicker. Once you mark the yes, you just fill in the answers between them with no's.

Every time I did this the secretary would ask me if I was asking for a break, I would say "No I am done, "then she would say "No, you have to do both tests" and I would say "Yes I know." I turned a 4-hour ordeal into a 2-hour ordeal.
                      Originally posted by FJDave
                      GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
                      "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

WTF? Am I to understand, by your post, that police agencies in this country are discriminating against flesh eaters?
                        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                          WTF? Am I to understand, by your post, that police agencies in this country are discriminating against flesh eaters?
                          I guess you haven't gotten the word yet: Vegans only need apply.
                          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I meant human flesh
                            Originally posted by FJDave
                            GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
                            "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

My lap top keyboard thanks you for the diet coke shower it just received...thanks.
                              LAPD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4172 users online. 195 members and 3977 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X