300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downey PD?

Does anybody know anything about Downey PD and the city itself? I'm applying to as many depts as I can considering not many are hiring....I had heard of Downey, saw they are hiring, and applied to them, thinking the city was further down south in Orange County near Anaheim. After I applied, I double checked its location, and learned it was just due east of Compton. So.........is it a pretty bad area? Guess I learned my lesson......

it's not a bad area in general, has it's areas and moments like most places. as for the department, um, they are unique.

Comment

What do you mean by "unique?"

Comment

PM sent...........

Comment

FWIW Downey PD is the only department I've ever spoken to that said choose them over an education.

Comment

Originally posted by lewannab View Post
            What do you mean by "unique?"
            Selective
            "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

That picky huh?

Comment

Originally posted by lewannab View Post
                That picky huh?
                VERY! have a co-worker who, in nearly 15 yrs of L.E. has never badmouthed a Dept,but if you bring up Downey PD ( he grew up there) his face turns red and he'll curse up a storm !!! They are one of the FEW depts that brag that their creation came from picking the BEST of LAPD laterals to "start off the right way"..the "mid cities" PDs ( Maywood,Vernon, huntington Park,South Gate, Bell, Bellgardens,Downey) have always been "weird" places - they are very LOCALS ONLY and like to hand pick or groom their candidates.

"get in where you fit in" I always say, BUT i'd suggest LASD, LAPD or even Long Beach PD to the south first if you are "new" to the application process.
                Depts like Downey get alot of laterals,area and local applicants + alot of rio hondo preservice people, so EXPECT competition for a handful of spots
                "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Thanks for the tips.....maybe I'll stay away from them then, based on everyone's insight being basically the same.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9468 users online. 479 members and 8989 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X