X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stugotz
    replied
    Originally posted by Mikeyg76 View Post
    ABC is in process of changing their requirements to allow more degree options, just an FYI
    Thx Sir! ....... Good news for us in limbo with the County.

Leave a comment:

• Mikeyg76
    replied
    ABC is in process of changing their requirements to allow more degree options, just an FYI

Originally posted by Stugotz View Post
    Beautiful! Thx, Sir.

I hope ABC does like CDI is doing now, and what CA-DOJ has already done -- opening the degree requirements to more than Criminal Justice bachelors! We'll see. . .

Leave a comment:

• Mikeyg76
    replied
    .... double post
    Last edited by Mikeyg76; 10-15-2008, 06:12 PM. Reason: double post

Leave a comment:

• El_Federal
    replied
    Originally posted by sinned View Post
    Every agency around here requires you to attend a full CA academy. I had a officers from AK and TX in my class.
    just curious, how did the guys/gals from tx do? which dept hired them afterwards?... i'm getting 'the bug" of returning to cali and was wanting some info on the post waiver process... any input would be appreciated

thanks

Leave a comment:

• sgttom
    replied
    From what I can tell, it's open to internal and external applicants....

Originally posted by WPD954 View Post
    Sgttom.......do you know if they (hospital police) hire outsiders for sgt positions, or is it just a formality to open it up to the general public ?

Leave a comment:

• Stugotz
    replied
    Should be the first part of '09
    Beautiful! Thx, Sir.

I hope ABC does like CDI is doing now, and what CA-DOJ has already done -- opening the degree requirements to more than Criminal Justice bachelors! We'll see. . .
    Last edited by Stugotz; 10-13-2008, 08:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mikeyg76
    replied
    Originally posted by Stugotz View Post
    Just checked the website, looks like ABC is currently hiring Investigator I on a promotional basis, and Investigator II on OPEN basis. I'm not sworn... Any word when hiring will open for "Investigator Trainee" spots?
    Should be the first part of '09

Leave a comment:

• WPD954
    replied
    Sgttom.......do you know if they (hospital police) hire outsiders for sgt positions, or is it just a formality to open it up to the general public ?

Leave a comment:

• sgttom
    replied
    State wise, there are many positions out there including but not limited to: ABC, Department of Insurance, State Lottery, Department of Motor Vehicles, Employment Development Department, State Parks, Department of Justice, Board of Equilization, Fish and Game, Office of Emergency Services, POST, Department of Consumer Affairs, etc. To the best of my knowledge, these departments all require a full basic academy. There is only one that does not - state hospital police. (There are more state agencies out there that I can't think of off hand).

on challenging CA POST, they will compare your academy and training since to the CA minimum level. What you don't have done, you will need to get on your own - be it racial profiling, NIMS, domestic violence, traffic investigations et al. (or whatever POST deems you need).

I know a few who have challenged the POST basic course and were successful but it took a while. It may be easier to go through the 3 week re-qualification course but that depends on what POST says of your present training and certifications.

PC832 certificate is a minimal amount of training - 40 hours classroom no firearm or 64 hours with firearms course. This used to be the most basic way to get trained and be a reserve officer and in some city agencies (back in the day), to have police powers. In the PC832 certificate route, there are modules, A, B and C. the most basic module is C (40 / 64 hours). you can go through 225 hours to obtain your B (good only for reserve officer status) and another 350 hours for your A module. With all the modules, you basically have a full basic academy. (note: module hours are estimated here)... I have a friend who went this route and is finishing his module A this December.

That said and back in the day, I went through the modules and it allowed me to be a level 1 reserve (ride alone and handle patrol work). on levels of reserves, there are 3. level 3 is the bottom level and basically, you are not armed and can only handle station duties under supervision. level 2 allows you to be armed and in the field with a regular officer (or level 1 reserve) and level 1 allows for riding solo on patrol). This is of course, dependent on what the employing agency will allow (riding alone and handling regular patrol work).

the hospital police is the only state agency i know that gives peace officer powers with PC832 training.

the hospital police as a whole are hiring and they take awhile with their process. example: Coalinga (near Fresno), Napa State Hospital (northern bay area), Atascadero, Patton Hospitals are hiring too (SoCal).

You have the Department of Developmental Services hiring too. They are an off shoot of the Hospital Police, just a slightly different setting. These guys require a full POST.

Hospital Investigators require a full POST and tested through another Department, i.e. not through the Hospital Police (yah, weird) but they work together.

check here for more info:

http://jobs.spb.ca.gov/exams_occgroup2.cfm?mac=11

or how about this:

Hospital Police Sergeant
    Job Information
    Agency: Mental Health
    Positions: 1
    Responsibilities: Supervises a team of Hospital Police Officers.
    Job Type: Full time
    Job Length: Permanent
    Salary: Monthly: $3,788-4,786 (Annual: $45,456-57,432)
    Application Deadline: Tuesday, October 21 2008
    Contact
    Contact Division: P. O. Box 5002
    Address:
    City, State, Zip: Coalinga, CA 93210
    Phone: (559) 935-4272

Leave a comment:

• WPD954
    replied
    State hospital police have sworn investigator spots too, decent pay and state vehicle, since you mentioned the hospitals.

Leave a comment:

• DEcop989
    replied
    Would be nice, but again, my leg won't hold up through a full academy

Leave a comment:

• IMachU
    Guest replied
    LA County Police is hiring. http://ops.co.la.ca.us/

Leave a comment:

• Stugotz
    replied
    You may want to look into ABC (Alcoholic Beverage Control). ABC is listed under 830.2, the same sub-section as CHP, Fish and Game, etc. We are sending all of our new trainees to a full POST academy, due to the same reasons as DOI.
    Just checked the website, looks like ABC is currently hiring Investigator I on a promotional basis, and Investigator II on OPEN basis. I'm not sworn... Any word when hiring will open for "Investigator Trainee" spots?

Leave a comment:

• Mikeyg76
    replied
    You may want to look into ABC (Alcoholic Beverage Control). ABC is listed under 830.2, the same sub-section as CHP, Fish and Game, etc. We are sending all of our new trainees to a full POST academy, due to the same reasons as DOI.

Leave a comment:

• BigHouseGreen
    replied
    DE, I don't know if you are the type to stay out on the streets but you could also look into CDCr. We fall under 830.5. We have full police authority while on duty but we keep our status while off duty. We are allowed to carry off duty. We are not armed while inside the prisons but we are armed while working out in the community or on transportations outside the prisons. We do have officers are more into their laid back custodial duty while others are more proactive in their approach to their law enforcement duties. Believe it or not we still have murders, drugs, illegal weapons, rapes and etc still going on inside the prisons. We also police non inmates (i.e. visitors visiting inmates) while on state prison grounds. We charge them and book them ourselves into county jail. We are also better paid than the Hospital Police Officers you were talking about.

If your heart is out on the streets pulling traffic, answering calls, responding to crimes in progress then keep looking for a police/sheriff agency. All you can do is try.

I am not making a case for either corrections or police just giving you some ideas and insight into corrections because nobody really knows what goes on inside correctional institutions. And realize that after a couple years inside a institution you can always transfer over to a state parole agent and police the parolees that are on parole in the communities.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4457 users online. 290 members and 4167 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X