300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMachU View Post
    That is incorrect. My agency is 830.31, and we are full time, 24 hour peace officers. You gotta be careful who you listen to....read for yourself and learn.
    xX
    Agreed sarge! I've read that chapter of the penal code and didn't think 830.3X peace officers were "limited." Just thought, for good measure, I'd ask those who live and breath it...

The CA CDI Fraud Investigator position looks promising and it's 830.3. They just have to open up the degree requirements like they're advertising.
    Focused Recruit

Comment

DEcop- you may ant to consider a FED LE job or just look into an investigative position.If your knee is an issue that will keep you out of an academy, check with www.post.ca.gov for the POST challenge examination process.
      Last edited by DOAcop38; 10-08-2008, 10:17 PM.
      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by Stugotz View Post
        My question is this: say you are an 830.3X peace officer, are you not a "fulltime peace officer" with 24-hour peace officer powers?
        Yes 830.3x is still a cop 24/7 but those powers don't necessarily include CCW. All of the 830.3x penal code sections have the following caveat:

These peace officers may carry firearms only if authorized and under those terms and conditions as specified by their employing agencies:

Prior to HR218 830.3x officers could have been arrested for carrying off duty if their agency prohibited off duty carry. Now provided that you are authorized to carry on-duty you are protected through federal preemption of state law.

For those of you who think you can take action anywhere in the state for any crime you should watch the POST Case Law Today #16 April 2008 video from Judge Bledsoe (available on the POST learning portal - You'll need your POST ID number to access). The issue deals with stops outside of the political subdivision where you are employed.
        Last edited by LeeRoy; 10-09-2008, 05:28 PM. Reason: Typo
        If you see me running try to keep up!

Comment

I carry 24/7. I'd LOVE for someone to hook me. ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!! Man, I'd even give the arresting officer 25% of the take, after I sued that department for all they are worth, and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
            First, it's been a while since I've dealt with this, so my information may be out of date. With that in mind, call POST at (916) 227.3909 and inquire about the following:

If you look around the 830.3 sections you will find a number of state investigator positions. If memory serves me correctly, several of these only required that you complete a state investigator academy. I don't know what the physical requirements are for that academy, but given that the investigations they conduct are more administrative or regulatory in nature, there may not be a lot of PT involved. To find current state investigator vacancies check out http://jobs.spb.ca.gov/exams_occgroup2.cfm?mac=11

Further on in the 830.3X section you will find several jobs that are really security guard positions that come with police powers. They are not very exciting and you will answer to a civilian who knows nothing about police work and who will no doubt order you to do all sorts of things that are totally unprofessional (but I digress). Many of these jobs only require what is called an 832 PC academy. It is abbreviated training that you might be able to limp through (pun intended). Given that you will be working for a civilian agency such as a school, a utility company or the courts, who have no idea as to the physical demands of law enforcement, its likely the pre-employment physical will be minimal. But at the same time, it's just as likely that you will become the midnight watchman, whose only task is to sit and watch the metal rust.

Best of luck.
            Speaking strictly for the Department of Insurance, Fraud Division. Our powers are defined under 830.3(i) We used to send the majority of our new recruits to the Specialized Investigators Basic Academy (SIBC) which are only held in Yuba City or Huntington Beach. However due to travel/per diem costs the Regional Offices have been sending recruits through the local Police/Sheriff's Academies.

While it is true that some State agencies are regulatory in nature. The CDI Fraud Division's cases are all criminal. We have a separate Division of non-sworn investigators that conduct the regulatory/administrative investigations.
            Running is not a plan, running is what you do when a plan fails. -Tremors

Comment

Originally posted by MrVega$ View Post
              Speaking strictly for the Department of Insurance, Fraud Division. Our powers are defined under 830.3(i) We used to send the majority of our new recruits to the Specialized Investigators Basic Academy (SIBC) which are only held in Yuba City or Huntington Beach. However due to travel/per diem costs the Regional Offices have been sending recruits through the local Police/Sheriff's Academies.

While it is true that some State agencies are regulatory in nature. The CDI Fraud Division's cases are all criminal. We have a separate Division of non-sworn investigators that conduct the regulatory/administrative investigations.
              You guys are one of the few big dogs in the .3 section. I was think more in terms of Food & Drug, Labor Standards Enforcement, State Controller, Housing & Community Development, etc.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

So what is 832, then? Are they LE agencies which are 832?

What is 831???

Comment

Are you by chance asking about the PC832 Cert?

Comment

831 PC deals with custodial officers (civilian jailers) and civilian security officers.

832 PC deals with a number of issues ranging from training standards to confidentiality of peace officer records, just to name a few.

To get a feel for the entire 830 section, take a look at: http://info.sen.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisg...ction=retrieve

Comment

Yes, what he said. The PC832 certification. The one piosition I noticed as state hospital police and it mentioned having your 832 certification. what is that?

Are there other police agencies that operate with that course???

Comment

No, No, No!

Originally posted by DEcop989 View Post
                        Yes, what he said. The PC832 certification. The one piosition I noticed as state hospital police and it mentioned having your 832 certification. what is that?
                        Hospital police are uniformed, drive a marked unit and patrol the grounds of State mental hospitals. Because they are dealing with mental patients, most are unarmed. There are rarely more than one or two officers on duty at a time at most hospitals. The Police Chief answers to the hospital administrator, who has no law enforcement experience and as a result, may make decisions or give the department directions that are contrary to law or professional police standards. Don't be surprised if you are told take no action with respect to crimes committed by hospital employees, because they will be, "handled administratively."

Because hospital police departments have little expertise, training or resources they only handle minimal public assist calls and minor, preliminary crime reports. Anything of a serious nature is referred to the local police to handle. You don't want to work there.

Comment

O. Lovely.

Comment

But, given my situation, I may have to settle for it.

Comment

Just called the hospital police. Said the hiring process is about a year long. They do have marked units, and police powers. No weapons, but still. It may be what I have to do to remain blue.

Ask yourselves before you call be a fool - what would you do if presented face to face with the spectre of leaving law enforcement? Especially at a young age when you're watching visions of a twenty year career to come vanish without a fight. It may be a crappy job, but if it's what I can get....

Comment

Originally posted by DEcop989 View Post
                                Just called the hospital police. Said the hiring process is about a year long. They do have marked units, and police powers. No weapons, but still. It may be what I have to do to remain blue.

Ask yourselves before you call be a fool - what would you do if presented face to face with the spectre of leaving law enforcement? Especially at a young age when you're watching visions of a twenty year career to come vanish without a fight. It may be a crappy job, but if it's what I can get....
                                Just make sure you understand that you will be a police officer in name only, and that in your desperation, the only person you will be fooling is yourself.

One of the hospitals, Atascadero, used to arm its officers because it houses the criminally insane. (I don't know if they are still armed.) Many years ago there was an incident in which an inmate (a convicted, violent felon) escaped, carjacked a vehicle in the parking lot and tried to run down one of the Hospital Police Officers. In fear of his own life, the officer fired on the approaching vehicle. The suspect got out of the parking lot and headed into town with a Hospital Police Sergeant in pursuit in a marked vehicle. The suspect crashed in town and was captured by the Hospital Police Sergeant and a local PD officer.

The hospital administrator fired the Officer in the parking lot and suspended the Sergeant. She felt it was totally unreasonable for the Officer to shoot at the inmate, just because he was trying to kill him with a vehicle. She also suspended the Sergeant because she felt it was unreasonable for him to chase an escaped felon who had just tried to kill a fellow officer.

A year later the State Personnel Board overturned the disciplinary actions, commenting that they could not understand what kind of message the administrator was trying to send her staff.

My whole point here is in your attempt to remain a cop, you will be jumping into a world where good police work is not rewarded, but is instead is evaluated by people who have no expertise in the field and look upon it as an aberration.

Keep looking. There are other spots out there. What happened with Columbus?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2769 users online. 191 members and 2578 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X