300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lapd Swat Cops

ANyone know what there team standards are (physical and shooting)? Being the most respected next to NYPD I would assume they're pretty high. Just interested in knowing
    "There is no pain in death; it only hurts to die."

What makes you think LAPD SWAT is the "most respected next to NYPD," when LAPD SWAT set the standard for specialized enforcement teams, being that they were the first team in the country to be stood up? As far as the community is concerned, they are the plank owners.
    Stay Safe,
    - J.R.
    ----------------
    HONOR FIRST
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted men long enough and liked it, never really care for hunting anything else thereafter." - Ernest Hemmingway

Comment

It's kinda hard to compare LAPD SWAT and NYPD ESU. LAPD only does "cop stuff" while NYPD does "cop stuff" and other stuff, i.e. car crashes, jumpers, rescues, etc.

That being said, LAPD's standards are very high. They have SWAT school at Camp Pendleton and sometimes train with Navy SEALS.

Comment

I heard a rumor, and I stress the word rumor, that LAPD SWAT is such a desirable position that they can be very picky about who they choose. As a result most candidates selected are usually cops who are ex-something special(i.e. Seals, Green Berets, etc.)

Can any of you LA guys validate that comment. I'd be curious to know if thats true. (not that its a bad thing either)

Comment

Current standards require that D Platoon applicants already be serving in Metro Division. It is hard to say if that policy will continue.
          http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...FmNDkzNzAyMTM=
          John from Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by Kilo19 View Post
            I heard a rumor, and I stress the word rumor, that LAPD SWAT is such a desirable position that they can be very picky about who they choose. As a result most candidates selected are usually cops who are ex-something special(i.e. Seals, Green Berets, etc.)

Can any of you LA guys validate that comment. I'd be curious to know if thats true. (not that its a bad thing either)

Yes, it's a desirable job, just as in many other departments. They are supposed to be the best of the best. LAPD has a dedicated SWAT team so that is their primary function so they have to be good.

Yes our SWAT team is picky, but I would venture to guess so is any SWAT team in the country. The standards and tests to get in are very difficult and only a handful pass, male or female. Not true about "most candidates being ex-something special" military wise. I know a bunch of our SWAT guys that aren't ex-military, athough some others are.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilo19 View Post
              (i.e. Seals, Green Berets, etc.)
              1- Navy SEALs
              2- Green Berets are the head covers worn by those within the US Army Special Forces Groups.
              Stay Safe,
              - J.R.
              ----------------
              HONOR FIRST
              "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted men long enough and liked it, never really care for hunting anything else thereafter." - Ernest Hemmingway

Comment

Originally posted by i8547 View Post
                1- Navy SEALs
                2- Green Berets are the head covers worn by those within the US Army Special Forces Groups.
                This is true, but the Army Special Forces are referred to as "Green Berets". Started in 1961 when JKF appointed that only the SF wear the GBs to set them apart since they had special missions, then the name stuck as the Army SF being the Green Berets

Comment

As it is now, you have to BE in Metropolitan Division for at least one year. Have to have at least 5 years of patrol time (no admin/inside time), to get into Metro.

That being said, tryouts are changing. Used to be one of the toughest in the Nation. Two week try outs, one in the city, one week at Pendleton.

One miss on a target and "the angel of death" tap on the shoulder meant goodbye, try again next time.

Standards have been changed as of this last try out. Lots of politics going on, most noteably the absence of any female officers, until the testing was changed. We now have the first LAPD female SWAT officer.

Take it FWIW.

LAPD INVENTED the modern SWAT team in 1965, was put in play in 1969.

Metropolitan Division has been around since 1933, it's divided into four platoons, B, C, (line platoons), E (Mounted), D(SWAT), and K-9 which are the bite dogs with a couple full time scent dogs, gun dogs thrown in. B and C have 40-50 officers each, E has 25 , D has 60 and K-9 runs around 20-23.

Still one of the best jobs at LAPD, but very different from as little as 3 years ago.

Comment

Sorry, but those within do not refer to themselves as "Green Berets" and that term is only used by outsiders looking in. While I do not need to expand on proper terminology used, they are Special Forces Soldiers or simply referring to someone as being in Group suffices.

Back to the original programming.
                    Stay Safe,
                    - J.R.
                    ----------------
                    HONOR FIRST

Comment

What makes you think LAPD SWAT is the "most respected next to NYPD," when LAPD SWAT set the standard for specialized enforcement teams, being that they were the first team in the country to be stood up? As far as the community is concerned, they are the plank owners.
                      Actually, they were second or third. I think they coined the term SWAT, but they weren't the first team.
                      Last edited by madchiken; 09-22-2008, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Angry people are funny.

Thanks for the good info Sgt. Reality.

Comment

1- Navy SEALs
                          Wow, thanks for capitalizing the word SEALs for me, otherwise people wouldn't have known who I was talking about. Also, a beret is a head cover???? wow, learned so much today. thanks again for the useful info.

Comment

oh, and sorry. I didn't mean to hijack this thread with my question about ex-special forces and SWAT guys. I'm done.

Comment

Please Tell Me How In The Hell A Question About The Standards Of A Swat Team Turned Into This Run Off Of Bs........

Sgt. Reality I Would Like To Thank You For Being The Only One Who Started To Answer The Question. I Still Dont Have The Answer But Come The F On....... I Asked OnE Question And I Got Replies About Who Really Is Number One And What The Difference Between Navy Seals And Berets Are... Grow Up!

Now If Anyone Who Is On The LAPD SWAT Team Please Send Me A Message I Do HAve An Actual Question And Not A Stupid Comment.
                              Last edited by mpls finest; 09-22-2008, 10:16 AM. Reason: SPELLING ERRORS
                              "There is no pain in death; it only hurts to die."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5436 users online. 307 members and 5129 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X