Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RSO - Psych Oral failed... appealing worth it?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSO - Psych Oral failed... appealing worth it?

So I just received a phone call from my background investigator today expecting to receive good news. Instead, he informs me that I did not pass the psych oral portion of the evaluation. I told him I'm going to appeal once I receive my letter in the mail; however, I have a few questions about the whole process.

I know this has been discussed before, but there hasn't been any recent updates from the candidates that did the appeal for psych evals from RSO.

First off, how much are the psych evals going to cost? From what I read, candidates will pay for the 2nd psych and the 3rd is paid by the county, is that true?

Second, if I do pass both the 2nd and 3rd evals, how much longer will it be before they do an admin review and possibly be selected for an academy?

Lastly, is it a good idea to also apply to other agencies again? (I've applied to a lot [CHP, LASD, Riv Prob., SFPD, CDCR (pending, in backgrounds)])

RSO and CDCR are my last agencies, and I figure if I don't get an acceptance to either of them, I might just go back and do my Master's Degree in either Education or Nutrition or return back to the Marines as a commisioned officer. My background and record have been pretty clean and I believe I've had a pretty good/rounded life experience (4 years active duty in the Marines, 2 deployments to Iraq, B.A. in Sociology from UCR, no tickets past 4 years, no accidents in 7 years).
    Riverside Sheriffs

Written - 02/16/08 [Passed]
    PAT - 03/15/08 [Passed]
    PHS - 03/31/08 [Turned In]
    PA 1 - 06/24/08 [Initial]
    BI Interview - 07/09/08 [Initial]
    Livescan - 07/10/08 [Passed]
    Polygraph - 07/25/08 [Passed]
    PA 2 - 08/05/08 [Passed]
    Psych Written - 09/02/08 [Passed]
    Psych Oral - 09/02/08 [Failed]
    Medical - 09/03/08 [Passed]
    2nd Psych Written - TBD
    2nd Psych Oral - TBD
    3rd Psych Written - TBD
    3rd Psych Oral - TBD

Dude that sucks. I dont understand the logic behind the psych test. It seems like a convicted felon could pass them before any normal person. As far as appealing, WHY NOT? You might as well do it. Your a veteran bro! I too applied for RSO and have not heard anything in 6 weeks but like everyone says no news is good news. BUT I AM GETTING FREAKING ANTSY! My job sucks! I work as a Park Ranger but I feel like a rent a cop. The pay sucks and I work with no one that has any type of law enforcement experience. I took the probation officer test for back up this morning but I really dont want to do it. I want to be a cop. By the way Camp Pendleton is hiring former marines on base for cops. It seems that they now have civilian officers along with the MPs. The beginning pay is about 40 grrr but I am sure your looking for something else. if you need the info hit me up. I too am a former marine with a crappy bachelors!!! I guess were destined for re-enlistment as officers!!! LOL!
    Last edited by buffb27; 09-19-2008, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Psyc test results is usually correct with their decision. I've seen some weird minded people pass everything in the process except the psyc.

I'm not saying you are that person because there are people who fail and pass with another agency, but the psyc is very necessary. You have to be a level headed person with good sound judgment to do this job. The psyc test measures that level.

It doesn't matter how smart you are because that has nothing to do with being able to do this job. I can honestly say that some of the smartest people in the world would be terrible cops. Most don't have common sense and you can't teach that.

Good luck with your appeal.
      Last edited by Wanna Be Cop; 09-19-2008, 09:14 PM.
      I have the Iron fist with a silk glove. Don’t show all your playing cards; give them just enough to get by on and you will win.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to go forth with the appeal. I received my appeal/results package today. Honestly, I think I answered the psychologist's questions too short as I thought he would ask me to elaborate.

He did ask me various questions about the military, my childhood and other aspects of my life; however, I should have given him more in depth answers.

Yea, I dunno, I put in my package before for OCS a couple months back, but I couldn't go through with it because of my girlfriend and our dogs. She really doesn't like the idea of me deploying again and I really don't want to burden her with the liabilities of our two labrador retreivers.

We'll see how this appeal goes and how the psch tests will go, I have 15 days to appeal, and 90 days to complete my 2nd psych eval from today. In addition, I'm also now applying for LAPD, Santa Clara Sheriff's, and a regular job as well for LA County Children's Social Worker. I'm currently working for my girlfriend's parents at their chain of restaurants and the job sucks bad, so anything is better than where I am at now.

As for probation, I tested with Riverside county probation as well. I did extremely well on their written and scored on the highest category available; however, when I went in to their oral interview, I bombed it badly. They ask you really specific questions about the job (and at the time I didn't know exactly what they did besides monitoring non-felons, theres a much more they do) and you better know exactly what probation officers do.
        Last edited by Sunnyv8le; 09-19-2008, 10:18 PM. Reason: adding comment
        Riverside Sheriffs

Written - 02/16/08 [Passed]
        PAT - 03/15/08 [Passed]
        PHS - 03/31/08 [Turned In]
        PA 1 - 06/24/08 [Initial]
        BI Interview - 07/09/08 [Initial]
        Livescan - 07/10/08 [Passed]
        Polygraph - 07/25/08 [Passed]
        PA 2 - 08/05/08 [Passed]
        Psych Written - 09/02/08 [Passed]
        Psych Oral - 09/02/08 [Failed]
        Medical - 09/03/08 [Passed]
        2nd Psych Written - TBD
        2nd Psych Oral - TBD
        3rd Psych Written - TBD
        3rd Psych Oral - TBD

Comment

Psych Questions

I am sorry for your set back, and going through all the crap to get this far I would appeal it, what do you have to lose? I look to be in the same boat.
          I just completed the Oral and Written Psychs last week, and after meeting with the Dr. for about a hour he said everything looked good but my written was 'invalid', (the too good reading). He sent me back in that day to retake the written. Have not heard anything yet and my Medical is this week. I figured no news is good news, but if it took them 2 weeks to call you about the DQ, who knows? If RSO needs all these people and qualified,military, educated, etc. people are getting bounced, what are they really looking for?Good Luck and Hang in there, Late.
          Last edited by coolhand007; 09-21-2008, 10:44 PM. Reason: spelling
          BORDER PATROL [/COLOR][/I][/U]- WRITTEN PASSED 2/12 ORAL PASSED 2/16
          B/I Packet Turned in 2/24,
          Med/Physical/Drug Screen Passed 3/13/09
          B/I Interview+Quals Complete and Report sent 4-22-09, 5-7-09 SENT TO TSU

EOD 10-5-09
          For those who want to win there is never enough time to train

Comment

I know the feeling man. I was also dq'ed from RSO two months ago after the psych interview. I paid $375 to apeal it and was still not accepted. If you strongly feel that you should be accepted into RSO I say go for it. Im glad I did it because now I won't have to live with the "what if" for the rest of my life.
            CALIFORNIA HIGHWAY PATROL

07-03-08 - APPLICATION ACCEPTED
            07-18-08 - CHP RIDE-ALONG (BARSTOW AREA)
            07-25-08 - WRITTEN TEST - PASSED
            08-19-08 - CHP INDLAND DIVISION SEMINAR
            08-23-08 - PHYSICAL TEST - PASSED
            08-26-08 - QAP - PASSED (85)
            10-03-08 - RIDE ALONG (RANCHO C. AREA)
            01-30-09 - CHP AIR OPS TOUR (APPLE VALLEY)
            03-30-09 - INITIAL BACKGROUND - PASSED
            05-26-09 - CVSA - PASSED
            05-29-09 - FINAL BACKGROUND - PASSED
            06-06-09 - PSYCH WRITTEN
            06-16-09 - MEDICAL
            08-05-09 - PSYCH ORAL

Comment

I haven't heard of any success stories from anyone appealing the psych, it seems the psych has some type of loophole in their favor. Hopefully I am wrong, but I haven't seen anybody succeed at an appeal.

Comment

Always appeal it. You have come this far and the psych is the last major hurdle. If you want an LEO job, why let some shrink that has little to no idea about law enforcement tell you you can't do it. Appeal it. And, I have seen people win on appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by syphon157 View Post
                  Always appeal it. You have come this far and the psych is the last major hurdle. If you want an LEO job, why let some shrink that has little to no idea about law enforcement tell you you can't do it. Appeal it. And, I have seen people win on appeal.
                  I stand corrected, hopefully syphon157 can provide you with some specific details so you will succeed at winning an appeal.

Comment

got the "CALL"

Just recieved the call from my B/I that I was DQ'd by the Psych. Doc. My B/I flat out told me to appeal and said he had seen quite a few win an appeal. Does anyone have the list of approved "Outside Psych. Docs"? And is it possible to see one of these guys prior to recieving your Appeals Papers to speed things up? Just dont want to lose too much ground with all this extra running around. Any help would be greatly appreciated. side note
                    The HR lady in personnel said RSO is losing alot in the Psych Eval., so we are by far not the only ones. Never Give Up!!! Late.

EOD 10-5-09

Comment

Originally posted by coolhand007 View Post
                      Just recieved the call from my B/I that I was DQ'd by the Psych. Doc. My B/I flat out told me to appeal and said he had seen quite a few win an appeal. Does anyone have the list of approved "Outside Psych. Docs"? And is it possible to see one of these guys prior to recieving your Appeals Papers to speed things up? Just dont want to lose too much ground with all this extra running around. Any help would be greatly appreciated. side note
                      The HR lady in personnel said RSO is losing alot in the Psych Eval., so we are by far not the only ones. Never Give Up!!! Late.
                      Just curious, was it the old shrink in San Bernardino ?

Comment

A male psych. doc at Spruce St.

EOD 10-5-09

Comment

s for the psych

Most people who fail the psych is usually during the written portion, prior to even meeting with the Dr. It is because they answer the questions based on how they feel the dept. or the Dr. would want them to answer the questions. In other words, we are not looking for perfection! We are looking for real people who have had issues, who have life experience and have been able to move past negative life experiences. These questions are asked to bring this out in an applicant. These tests will songle out those who are reflecting no prior issues, in other words "perfect people". However, on the other hand for those folks that have violent, short fuses, tendencies will be flagged, but thats not to say you will not pass the written. These issue will be further discussed in the oral with the Dr. The folks that show perfect scores will not have an opporunity to meet with the dr. for as a general rule, no one is perfect! When you meet with the Dr. you will be expected to expand on certain questions that you answered, but show how you matured from that particular experience. If you cant than you will have a long day and short visit with the county Dr.

Comment

Originally posted by WPD954 View Post
                            I haven't heard of any success stories from anyone appealing the psych, it seems the psych has some type of loophole in their favor. Hopefully I am wrong, but I haven't seen anybody succeed at an appeal.
                            I know a deputy from Norco that paid for two appeals and won the second. I know two guys that have failed the oral; both are standup guys with military experience and college degrees. On the other hand, I've seen some deputies who leave you wondering why they were hired. It's a strange situation...
                            The Thousandth Man

Comment

I flunked the Psyc. Interview for CHP. I'm just waiting on the official letter to tell me.
                              I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6072 users online. 324 members and 5748 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X