300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Diego Sheriffs Dept. BI Question

Hi everyone, new to the forum and just had a couple questions regarding the SDSD BI process. I have been looking around and found some similar threads, but wanted to post my situation to see what you all think.

Here it is, I just turned I participated in my college graduation ceremony this May and I am currently taking my last few units to receive my Bachelors in Criminal Justice. I also have already taken the SD Sheriffs Exam and past with an 89, I have already been invited to a Orientation. A little on my background based on DQ's; I have never been in trouble with the law, never have had any tickets, in fact I have never been pulled over. Basically clean, the only thing that I am currently worried about is my credit. I practically put myself through college these past four years. Went to school in the LA area, where I attended full-time. While there, since I was really stacking on the units I was only able to hold down a part time job. The job was enough to pay rent on my apartment and other simple bills. In order to survive I really needed to resort to my credit cards, to pay for living essentials, school, books etc. I was able to keep the payment under control until recently when they just got crazy. I have moved back to SD where I am getting a job to get by in the meantime. But since I may have a few thousand dollars in collections, will it really affect my chances of being hired? The debt is not on dumb expenses like cars and big screen tv's, what do you all think?

Any advice or info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hey RIKIAC3. I'm pretty sure you will need to clear up any collections issues before you can proceed on the path to becoming a SD Sheriff. Try to pay it off ASAP and get your credit card balances down / credit score up.

Just remember that they evaluate EVERY aspect of your life, including credit and financial responsibility.

Good luck to you!

Comment

Having an account in collections, does it lower your Credit score? I know that it shows up on your Credit Report until it is paid off, but I am curious if it has any affect on the score itself?

Thanks, good luck to you RIKIAC3

Comment

As one married to a mortgage banker, I can answer that yes, having an account in collections does lower your credit score. But SDSD doesn't look at your credit score. It looks at all your accounts, and whether you've ever been late on them or had them go to collections.

At background orientation, they said they don't mind a little debt. It motivates you to keep working. But it's how you handle those debts that speaks volumes about you.
        In backgrounds ...

Comment

Originally posted by Copp'rPenny View Post
          As one married to a mortgage banker, I can answer that yes, having an account in collections does lower your credit score. But SDSD doesn't look at your credit score. It looks at all your accounts, and whether you've ever been late on them or had them go to collections.

At background orientation, they said they don't mind a little debt. It motivates you to keep working. But it's how you handle those debts that speaks volumes about you.

I definitely agree, being faced with this debt is really driving me to work really hard. I have worked very hard with getting through college these past four years to become a LE officer, which has been a life long dream. But it was either used those credit cards and get through life and my education in CJ or not. So the choice was obvious and I had to use them. What do they consider "a little debt"? Do you think that all of my positives might outweigh the one negative?
          I plan on getting these debts paid off or settled asap, especially with the new job that I just got down here in SD. Anymore suggestions? Should I at least attend the orientation or should I just completely stay away until the debt is covered?

Comment

I definitely agree, being faced with this debt is really driving me to work really hard. I have worked very hard with getting through college these past four years to become a LE officer, which has been a life long dream. But it was either used those credit cards and get through life and my education in CJ or not. So the choice was obvious and I had to use them. What do they consider "a little debt"? Do you think that all of my positives might outweigh the one negative?
            I plan on getting these debts paid off or settled asap, especially with the new job that I just got down here in SD. Anymore suggestions? Should I at least attend the orientation or should I just completely stay away until the debt is covered?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by RIKIAC3 View Post
                    What do they consider "a little debt"? Do you think that all of my positives might outweigh the one negative?
                    I am stuck in the SDSO BI process because of 1 bad collections account that is yet to be paid off (currently trying to find out if I have to deal with the original creditor or the collections agency to get it removed/settled/paid).

SDSO will not even consider you if you have debts in collections. If you owe a huge balance from loans but you are making payments and they are not in collections, that's OK. But anything in collections, forget it. If you can take out a loan from a good bank (or family or friends) and pay off the collections account, do it ASAP before you get stuck in the process like me.

It is not even a question of positives or negatives yet. My SDSO BI said that they won't even consider me if I have fail to take care of that account. But he did say he would give me 3-4 months to get it taken care of while he works on other areas of my BI.

Good luck man.
                    Last edited by avalon42; 09-19-2008, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by avalon42 View Post
                      I am stuck in the SDSO BI process because of 1 bad collections account that is yet to be paid off (currently trying to find out if I have to deal with the original creditor or the collections agency to get it removed/settled/paid).

SDSO will not even consider you if you have debts in collections. If you owe a huge balance from loans but you are making payments and they are not in collections, that's OK. But anything in collections, forget it. If you can take out a loan from a good bank (or family or friends) and pay off the collections account, do it ASAP before you get stuck in the process like me.

It is not even a question of positives or negatives yet. My SDSO BI said that they won't even consider me if I have fail to take care of that account. But he did say he would give me 3-4 months to get it taken care of while he works on other areas of my BI.

Good luck man.
                      Thanks for the info. Well if you are stuck on just one and I have a couple, I am just going to go ahead and wait on attending the orientation. I would rather take it care of it first instead of being put under the pressure of the investigator and risk getting dq'd. By any chance did you ask your investigator if a settlement is ok instead of paying off the entire amount? Would it still be a dq if someone were to just settle their debt with an agency instead of paying the entire full amount?

Comment

Originally posted by RIKIAC3 View Post
                        Thanks for the info. Well if you are stuck on just one and I have a couple, I am just going to go ahead and wait on attending the orientation. I would rather take it care of it first instead of being put under the pressure of the investigator and risk getting dq'd. By any chance did you ask your investigator if a settlement is ok instead of paying off the entire amount? Would it still be a dq if someone were to just settle their debt with an agency instead of paying the entire full amount?
                        My BI wanted the account out of collections. Period. A settlement should work if you can get DOCUMENTATION from the creditor/collection agency that they are willing to settle the account for less and that they WILL REMOVE or UPDATE your credit profile reflecting as such changes. You will provide said documentation to your BI.

Make copies of everything (checks, written agreement, correspondence).

Good luck man.

Comment

Keep in mind that having debt and having an account in collections are two entirely different things. Nearly everyone has some sort of debt (any credit cards with a balance on them, any loan, etc.) but having an account in collections means you have not been making payments to a creditor (those aforementioned credit cards, loans, etc.).

Debt, as long as it's reasonable is acceptable. Being in collections, for any amount, is not acceptable. Being in collections could be seen as a sign that you are irresponsible with your money which could mean irresponsibility in other areas of your life.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3929 users online. 229 members and 3700 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X