Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78th Regional Academy @ Miramar

Hey whats up everyone!?

I recently made it through the hiring process with SDPD and I'm going to be attending the Police Academy at Miramar College starting October 20th.

I am just curious as to how it's going to be (specifically PT wise). I went to Navy bootcamp back in '99, but I'm definitely not as young & fit as I used to be!

I started a training program earlier this month which consists of the normal push-ups, fast-walking, jogging, running, etc. Unfortunately, I need to start out a bit slow due to my shins acting up.

Any information will definitely be appreciated. I've heard all academies are different and I've actually been watching 'The Academy' on Fox... Wow, seems pretty intense.

Thanks guys and hope to join you soon on the force!
    Last edited by Chesterrtm; 09-17-2008, 06:53 PM.

Be prepared mentally and physically

I am an applicant for the SDPD. I'm hoping to start the academy in October. Based on what I have read from some of the posts, the academy is physically and mentally demanding. You need to be mentally ready because the instructors will be constantly in your face. Since you have attended Navy boot camp, you have somewhat already been exposed to a similar environment. I know that there are individuals in the military who are discharged during boot camp due to their failure to adapt. Furthermore, you will need to study and assimilate all the information given to you during class. This requires creating a study plan which you can follow regularly. In addition, you are aspected to be physically prepared upon arriving at the academy. This will definitely make life easier for you. This will also be one less thing you have to worry about. You can focus more on the academic aspect. I have read that a few recruits are dropped from the course due to physical fitness problems. So start preparing now. Hope for the best!

Comment

Thanks for the info, natural. I hope you are successful in starting the academy in October.

I am pretty confident that I will be mentally prepared when it comes to the yelling, stress, pressure and academics. Given that Navy RTC certainly wasn't the most 'extreme' type bootcamp our military has to offer, it definitely was not a walk in the park either. Hopefully that, along with my four years of service and two long-*** (excuse my language) deployments, will help out a bit when things get rough.

I guess the only thing that concerns me is the PT. To be honest, I've never really been the athletic type.

Like I said, I became serious about my fitness earlier this month... when in reality I probably should've started, like, three to six months ago. Oh well, better late than never!

Thanks again for the information and if there is anyone else out there due to attend the academy at Miramar on Oct 20th, please post!
      Last edited by Chesterrtm; 09-18-2008, 09:49 PM.

Comment

I will be there as well. I would recommend you get yourself a good pair of running shoes to help w/some of the ankle pain. Take a look at this website for some running tips as well: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
        Anyways, I am off to bed. I will keep an eye on this thread as it develops = )

- Godspeed
        "We have nothing to fear but fear itself"

Comment

Cool, so you're coming from NY? Why did you choose SDPD as one of the agencies you want to work for? It's so far from where you live! If it's because of the weather, I don't blame you *heh*.

Congrats on making it and I look forward to seeing you there.

Comment

Originally posted by Chesterrtm View Post
            Cool, so you're coming from NY? Why did you choose SDPD as one of the agencies you want to work for? It's so far from where you live! If it's because of the weather, I don't blame you *heh*.

Congrats on making it and I look forward to seeing you there.
            Thanks bud! Congrats to you as well. I love the weather in SoCal. SD is a very nice city and the area around it is beautiful. Plus unlike the local agencies here in NY, they don't have a long wait list and/or pay you enough to live on your own if you want to.
            I lived in Laguna Hills over a year ago for some time and I really fell in love w/Southern CA. I shall begin my drive out west next week = ) And I will see all of you on the 3rd.

- Godspeed
            "We have nothing to fear but fear itself"

Comment

Are there any more recruits from other departments attending the 78th regional academy at miramar this october?

Comment

I'll be there for SDPD. Also former military and excited to begin.

-mill1ion

Comment

Grats mill1ion!

I have a question for anybody that is currently in, or has gone to the Miramar Academy: What are the normal hours and days? Is it five days, 8hrs/day? Four days 10hrs/day?

I'm only asking because it seems to me, by looking on one of the documents supplied by my BI, that it's going to be Monday - Friday, from 0600 to 1600! I'm no math professor, but that is a 50 hour "class" week. Is it because lunch is an hour?

I know, I know, a million questions... I'm just trying to get informed before I get thrown to the wolves. I'd appreciate any info regarding the class schedule. Actually, ANY info about the academy you can supply would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

0700 to 1530 Monday though Friday.

Comment

Also, obviously, curious about the PT (Physical Training) schedule to come. I've seen somewhere that you 'need to be able to run 3 miles comfortably on Day 1' but not much guidance beyond that.

I've heard there's usually an academic test nearly weekly, which isn't too stressful, but I've had plenty of time off to prepare, and wish I could have had the study materials sooner, to prep a little better, but oh well.

Also, wish I knew of anything I could be buying or training for more specifically now, as opposed to the crunch of needing something immediately once the Academy begins (i.e. a second suit, dress shoes, duty belt, etc)

I literally can't wait to begin. I think we've got a great city to work in for a great department.

-Mill1ion

Comment

I found the website - http://www.sdmiramar.edu/instruction/POLA/

I hope you're wrong about the 3 miles (at least in the beginning). Under the physical fitness category on the website it states:

"Students should minimally be capable of running 1.5 miles under 15 minutes, and performing 15 standard push-ups and sit-ups. Physical fitness training will include running, weight training, and calisthenics. Testing will be done periodically to determine the recruit's ability and progress. Tests will include the P.O.S.T. job related work sample test battery and general physical fitness testing (running, push-ups, and sit-ups)."

I don't know if this information is current. I'm crossing my fingers it is.

Comment

Well, looking through some of the notes I received from my BI, it shows Week 1 as 1.5 miles in 15 minutes and also a 2 mile run. Week 2 shows a 2.3 mile run and a 3.4 mile run. Week 3: 3.5 mile run, 3.6 mile hilly run, and 3.6 mile hilly run again. Week 4: Two 3.6 mile hilly runs. Then it says physical activity continues to increase daily.

I would get out there and run as much as you can, short of injuring yourself. I'm forcing myself to run almost daily, although I hate running more today than when I was in the military. And I was a grunt.

My goal is not only to be physically prepared for the academy, but to also be in great physical shape. I refuse to look like an out of shape officer, or to let any suspect or criminal get the best of me. Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat Also, think of it this way-if you train like you have to run 3 miles on Day 1, you'll be that much more prepared, no matter what distance or incline you have to run.

I just hope they weed out anyone who isn't committed early on.

-Mill1ion

Comment

Originally posted by Chesterrtm View Post
                            I found the website - http://www.sdmiramar.edu/instruction/POLA/

I hope you're wrong about the 3 miles (at least in the beginning). Under the physical fitness category on the website it states:

"Students should minimally be capable of running 1.5 miles under 15 minutes, and performing 15 standard push-ups and sit-ups. Physical fitness training will include running, weight training, and calisthenics. Testing will be done periodically to determine the recruit's ability and progress. Tests will include the P.O.S.T. job related work sample test battery and general physical fitness testing (running, push-ups, and sit-ups)."

I don't know if this information is current. I'm crossing my fingers it is.

If you can't run 3 miles upon entering the academy you are woefully unprepared. That doesnt mean you wont make it, but if you are serious about going to the academy you should have been getting ready long ago. I was not a very good runner, but I could keep up and actually was running 1/2 marathons by the end of the academy. Run, run, run...... it will help as you do NOT want to be the one that sticks out by being at the end of the group falling back

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by sdrecruit View Post
                              0700 to 1530 Monday though Friday.
                              With varying schedules for night shooting, night driving, scenarios,etc. There will be a schedule on day 1.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6119 users online. 349 members and 5770 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X