300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rso Dq

I got the thin letter yesterday and am wondering why, Like many others on here have stated before me. I turned in my packet the end of august and my background is pretty clean. no drug or alcohol one speed ticket on record three tickets total and i disclosed them. I know i filled out the no feedback waiver and i understand they can't give any feedback on anything but i want to know how to improve for the next one and generally what disqualified me. I mean is it something that is too recent with maybe a job history thing, my current credit plight, or something more serious that would require more than just "time heals all" type thing. I know I kinda answered my own question but i can't change my job history, i'm fixing my credit (which was mediocre cause i wasn't able to work from feburary to august) and i don't know what else to do but to keep applying and working on never giving up.
    I'm never going to give up and never say die. This is my dream and i'm not picky about who i get to work for although my heart and desire is for patrol. I will be a professional sheepdog. It just seems like it's taking forever since i've been at it for 5 years.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Would I be able to find out a little more specific "than reapply in one year" if i appealed??
    Not affiliated with my avatar. My opinions are all mine and do not represent anybody else. All names are fictional and coincidental if there is someone in the world with aforementioned name.

Have you thought about putting yourself through an academy? It will help set you apart from the pack. I have a good friend whom like you applied for a few years and was not able to get picked up because of small things in his BG. He put himself through GX academy and was wearing patches by week 16. He worked hard to be in the top 5 of the class and he had two agency's making him offers.
    Nate from my own experiences I found that agency's want a stable work history. Now, there are always exceptions but typically that is something that is a DQ. I know this because it happened to me.
    As for credit.. Again, BI's want to see that your ability to borrow and pay back money on the terms agreed is being done. Again, there are things that happen in life that does not always allow for this and if it makes sense they might look past it. For instance, I had to file a Chp. 7 this year because I went from making a six figure income doing Mortgage loans to making less then 40K. I was not DQ'd in BG's because of the circumstances and the fact that I have already worked on rebuilding my credit. I wish you the best of luck. Best advice is to try to mirror the people whom are getting hired.
    Last edited by bar room heroes; 09-17-2008, 01:53 PM.

Comment

I'm really sorry brother. No one likes getting told they aren't good enough. Any problems that are fixable, like credit, keep working on them. If you're already doing some of these things, great.

Credit - Pay off obligations and loans. Always be on time. Times are tough right now in the financial industry. Many credit card companies will reduce your interest rate permanently, or temporarily ( 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, etc.). When possible apply for a personal loan either by yourself or with a co-applicant. Do a small amount like a few thousand (or whatever you qualify for). Don't spend the money. Use it to pay back on that loan monthly or use it on CCs with super high interest rates. It sounds silly, but a good history on loans will help improve your credit. CCs and other "revolving debt" don't do a whole lot to your credit (besides lower it when you charge them up). Keep an eye on your credit report and report any discrepancies.

If you don't have a college degree yet (like myself). Take some classes here and there to show your dedication to Law Enforcement. Learning some Spanish would be beneficial.

This a good prep class:
      http://www.sac.edu/faculty_staff/aca.../pep_class.htm

Some things that are always good to improve on are: test taking skills, English, and interviewing skills.

Turn yourself into a super magnet for Law Enforcement information. Learn about the following: "10" codes, common penal codes - 12020 is a big one. 187, 415, 417, 459, 647(b) prostitution, 647(f) public intoxication (alcohol, drug, or controlled substance) etc. Learn about everything.

Ride-alongs are fun, go on a few.

If you aren't already in excellent physical shape, then it's important to constantly improve on it.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few points but you know the direction I'm going.

I have no information on the appeal process. Good luck!
      Last edited by TWH; 09-17-2008, 02:02 PM. Reason: grammar
      "That's the problem with people like you, George. You want results but you never want to get your hands dirty." - Jack Bauer

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."
      - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Maybe you are not the right gender or race....According to GB0610 and I quote "But believe me, race AND gender play an important role in hiring decisions"......Or maybe its just your employment, just an idea!

Comment

Thanks all for the advice. i've been on this site for a while learning, i just don't get it sometimes though. my only real credit issue is student loans, i don't have credit cards anymore. I'm also improving my physical shape. As far as work thing goes i just moved down here to socal and am working. As far as race goes i can see that as a possibility since they don't give preference point for White male adults. You'd think experience in le/corrections would benefit too. Any other ideas, suggestions,words of advice???
          Not affiliated with my avatar. My opinions are all mine and do not represent anybody else. All names are fictional and coincidental if there is someone in the world with aforementioned name.

Comment

bar room heroes, gave good advice.

Put yourself through an academy and you will be much more attractive to agencies as a candidate. My academy that I went through started out with 33 recruits. 19 of us graduated, 5 of us were already hired prior to the start date of the academy, we called them the "sponsored cadets", and 9 of us got hired.

The other 5 that didn't get hired had some serious issues in their backgrounds. The issues were more than just mediocre credit problems. If you are being truthful about your BI issues than making yourself more attractive as a candidate is all you need to do to succeed.

Good Luck

Regarding, want to be offi's statement, just ignore it. All those LE Hopefuls that get denied a job get bitter and blame it on "race or gender". Don't listen to the bitterness because it is just that...bitterness. 99.999% of agencies don't care about race or gender, if your a good candidate that meets or exceeds the qualifications then your gonna be hired.

Again, Good Luck.
            Go back to where ever you came from, smoke a fatty, and sing Kum-Ba-Yah with Osama Bin Laden. Hopefully you will find the Communist Utopia you so desire.

Comment

One way or another you will find your department just like I will someday. I'm sure you've read stories on here about how some people have tried VERY hard for department "A" and they get a DQ for whatever reason. Then they put in the same effort for department "B" and everything falls into place.

A good friend of mine put himself through Rio Hondo years ago. He tried so hard to be accepted at a couple of small departments. Nothing ever happened. He had a flawless background. He applied to LASD and slowly things fell into place for him. Now he's hoping to go patrol training soon.

Just keep going.
              "That's the problem with people like you, George. You want results but you never want to get your hands dirty." - Jack Bauer

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."
              - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by natejpg View Post
                Thanks all for the advice. i've been on this site for a while learning, i just don't get it sometimes though. my only real credit issue is student loans, i don't have credit cards anymore.
                Sorry to hear about your DQ. That stinks.

I have to say though - regarding your credit - did you actually cancel your credit cards, or are they paid off and just don't use them?

One of the best ways to rebuild your credit is to actually use it....but use it wisely. Charge certain items, like gas, on a card and then pay it off every month. No credit = no responsibility to the credit agencies. They want to see that you can handle the ability to tap into credit and use it wisely.

Also, if you cancel credit cards, all that credit history is wiped from your score - so NEVER cancel an account, just pay it off and don't use the card (ie. keep it somewhere for an emergency - like freeze it, or even cut it up so you won't use it - but keep that account open!!!).

Comment

Also, I applied to two different agencies prior to going through an academy. I was denied a job by both those agencies for different reasons (not for a BI failure though). I then started an academy (granted there were multiple years in between) and applied for two other agencies, by the end of the academy I had two job offers from those two other agencies. Along with a couple other agencies that wanted me to apply and deny the two others that had previously offered me a position.

A lot of the guys I work with now were hired after they started an academy. They had started the academy on their "own dime". Going to the academy on your "own dime" shows the agency that you are serious about the job. It shows that you’re so serious that you are willing to "cough up your own deniro" to train yourself. Most agencies are impressed by the fact that you can "hack" the academy and work at the same time.
                  Go back to where ever you came from, smoke a fatty, and sing Kum-Ba-Yah with Osama Bin Laden. Hopefully you will find the Communist Utopia you so desire.

Comment

Hang in there man. Don't let it get you down. There is always something better around the corner and maybe this happened for a reason. Riverside P.D. is hiring right now also. I am from Texas originally so I think that is what is taking the BI so long to contact me. I too have felt the wrath of failure from a LE agency. I tried out for the Texas State troopers when I was 22 and got through everything only to be denied. I think it was because life experience but I am glad it happened. From there I joined the Corps, married my wife and put myself through college and now have a bachelors. I only see light at the end of the tunnel my friend and so should you!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Badkharma View Post
                      Sorry to hear about your DQ. That stinks.

I have to say though - regarding your credit - did you actually cancel your credit cards, or are they paid off and just don't use them?
                      Paid off and cut them up. I also had my account closed mutually between my desire and because i would not have been able to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by CAleo View Post
                        Also, I applied to two different agencies prior to going through an academy. I was denied a job by both those agencies for different reasons (not for a BI failure though). I then started an academy (granted there were multiple years in between) and applied for two other agencies, by the end of the academy I had two job offers from those two other agencies. Along with a couple other agencies that wanted me to apply and deny the two others that had previously offered me a position.

A lot of the guys I work with now were hired after they started an academy. They had started the academy on their "own dime". Going to the academy on your "own dime" shows the agency that you are serious about the job. It shows that you’re so serious that you are willing to "cough up your own deniro" to train yourself. Most agencies are impressed by the fact that you can "hack" the academy and work at the same time.
                        Are we talking a total of 6 agencies. The 2 that Denied you prior to academy, 2 that you applied to in academy and 2 that sought you out but you didn't apply for? Could you also PM me the agencies and academy you went to and what your self sponsored experience was like? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Pm

Sent you a PM.

Comment

Sorry to hear that bro... Don't feel bad though, it happens to most of us at some point.

Even those officers who try to lateral over to another agency.
                            I have the Iron fist with a silk glove. Don’t show all your playing cards; give them just enough to get by on and you will win.

Comment

DQ does not mean your not a good person for the job. It's all about how you sell yourself to that agency and their needs at that time.
                              I have the Iron fist with a silk glove. Don’t show all your playing cards; give them just enough to get by on and you will win.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6029 users online. 331 members and 5698 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X