300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California POST

I am thinking about moving back to California from Colorado and was wondering what the process is to challenge the POST test there. Any help would be great.

Co_Cop,
    I think this might help you.

http://www.post.ca.gov/faqs/become.asp - number 6.
    "That's the problem with people like you, George. You want results but you never want to get your hands dirty." - Jack Bauer

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."
    - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

The above listed web site will help, but here is my understanding of the long and short of things:

If you attended a California POST-approved police academy, worked for a California department and made probation (and received your Basic), then left the state to continue working in LE, you can come back to California with no problem.

If you attended a California POST-approved police academy, worked for a California department, but DID NOT make probation and DID NOT earn your Basic, and you have been out of California LE for three years or more, then you will have to attend a POST-approved 136 hour re-qualification course. These are offered by several academies/community colleges throughout the state.

If you have attended a non-California police academy, you will have to go through the Basic Course Waiver (BCW) process. You will have to prove to California POST that your out of state training meets their minimum requirements. Once accepted, I believe you then must attend the re-qualification course mentioned above. My understanding is that this can be a lengthy process, especially if you or your department have not kept adequate records of your LE training.

The re-qualification course is 136 hours of classroom and skills instruction. You are then required to pass a 100 question written test as well as practical tests in firearms and arrest/control tactics.

I hope this helps and wish you well in your possible move.
      Last edited by barkalot; 09-20-2008, 02:19 PM.
      Those who are successful at what they do don't give a rip about what others think about them.

We don't rent pigs.

Comment

Same response as the preceding, except that even if you have a Basic POST, you will have to go through the requalification course if it is more than 3 years since you were a California LEO.
        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

As a guy who left 30 years of big-city, west-coast policing behind and moved to CO from the rapidly emerging third-world nation of Kullyfornya, I'm sitting here wondering if you need a 72-hour hold....of course, for your own safety!

I have been a CO cop for ten weeks now. Last week was the first time I spoke Spanish in the performance of my duties. Two weeks ago I took my first D/V case. In the Rampart Area, a little less than eight square miles of real estate just west of downtown, D/V cases flowed in at the rate of 4 to 6 per day - and those are the ones with arrested bodies to process, not just the crime reports.

Which part of the so-called golden state are you looking at? I don't know where you live/work here in CO, but it has to outclass anywhere in CA. Of course, as always, your mileage may vary....
          Last edited by Kieth M.; 09-20-2008, 04:19 PM.
          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4261 users online. 271 members and 3990 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X