Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job History Question.

Okay guys, here's my predicament:

My plan was to take a few Law Enforcement prep classes before and during my application process (one starts in October). I have faith in my test taking and interviewing skills; however, I'd like to show that I took a lot of steps to prepare myself for Law Enforcement. My current employer, a bank, is being VERY uncooperative with my school plans. For some reason they'll let these two persons take as many classes as they want and always fight me when I need some scheduling adjustments. I feel that I will be fighting the clock if I wait until sometime next year to start applying. Plus, there is no guarantee that they'll let me take these classes when they start up again. So, I could get black balled again in January.

I was considering letting my current employer know that if we can't come to an agreement, then I will need to quit. It's unfortunate, but I can't allow my current JOB to hold me back on a CAREER that I want so badly. I know I could get a job in the interim to pay the bills, but I really would like to keep my current job until I get accepted to an academy. I'm just trying to figure out what my new game plan will be.

My questions is: Do you think it will look poorly on my job history when they ask, "So, why did you leave this job?" then I explain the situation?

FYI: I've only held a few jobs, and I've never been fired.

Thanks.
    "That's the problem with people like you, George. You want results but you never want to get your hands dirty." - Jack Bauer

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."
    - Abraham Lincoln

Originally posted by TWH View Post
    Okay guys, here's my predicament:

My plan was to take a few Law Enforcement prep classes before and during my application process (one starts in October). I have faith in my test taking and interviewing skills; however, I'd like to show that I took a lot of steps to prepare myself for Law Enforcement. My current employer, a bank, is being VERY uncooperative with my school plans. For some reason they'll let these two persons take as many classes as they want and always fight me when I need some scheduling adjustments. I feel that I will be fighting the clock if I wait until sometime next year to start applying. Plus, there is no guarantee that they'll let me take these classes when they start up again. So, I could get black balled again in January.

I was considering letting my current employer know that if we can't come to an agreement, then I will need to quit. It's unfortunate, but I can't allow my current JOB to hold me back on a CAREER that I want so badly. I know I could get a job in the interim to pay the bills, but I really would like to keep my current job until I get accepted to an academy. I'm just trying to figure out what my new game plan will be.

My questions is: Do you think it will look poorly on my job history when they ask, "So, why did you leave this job?" then I explain the situation?

FYI: I've only held a few jobs, and I've never been fired.

Thanks.
    You can take LE classes at a community college if you want, but it probably won't help you in the process. I would concentrate on researching whatever department you choose, along with getting into top physical condition.
    Most employers can be testy if they know you're going to school for a different career. Why does you're job even need to know what you're going to school for?
    It's a tough economy right now, so If I were you, I'd try to keep the job you have, go take a test, and don't let the bankers know. You're not going to have to know a lot about police work for the hiring process. Instead they are looking for someone who is honest, has integrity, oh and did I mention being in shape. They may ask you about the department, (who's the chief of police, who's the mayor of the city, how many sworn officers). One question they will most certainly ask is "Why do you want to be in Law Enforcment?" Make sure your answer is genuine and from the heart.
    On that, make sure you REALLY want this career, otherwise you are wasting yours and the departments time.

Good luck.

Comment

Go on Ride Along's. They are the best LEO prep tool out there.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

This is the class I'm enrolled to take:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho....php?p=1397923

A few people on this forum have said it's a worth while course. A LEO friend of mine said it would be a very good move to take a class like that. It will be good when they ask, "what have you done to prepare yourself?"

I've done all of the above. I went on a few ride-alongs with different departments. I'm reading my LDs that I borrowed from a friend. I've been doing research for months on the departments I want to apply to. I've been doing a lot of running - real running in the city, not a treadmill. I do some weight training at the gym. I'm trying to learn some of the penal codes and 10 codes.

I'm just getting irritated that they're trying to prevent me from preparing myself the way I want to. Most of the people in my age group at my branch and other branches are students. Most of them are going to school for degrees totally unrelated to banking. I have some time to think about this, hopefully I will figure out the best option and go for that!

Oh, I want this career more than anything. I'm totally stoked that I figured out what my calling is. I'm not sure what will happen along the way, but I'm sure I will get there!
        Last edited by TWH; 09-16-2008, 01:54 AM.
        "That's the problem with people like you, George. You want results but you never want to get your hands dirty." - Jack Bauer

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."
        - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

let me tell you something from my experience, i WORKED at the bank, same thing just like you fought with me cause of school, anyhow i was well i am going through BG with LASD, when my bank employer found out they were waiting for me to mess up and i got FIRED..i was a really good employee did not have discipline problems cash shortage or nothing i was trying to keep my job simply to make it into LASD, i got FIRED, and now i dont know what im going to do, my boss refused to give me two promotions because he said "why should i give you the promo if your leaving to the sherifs" it was not even written in stones and he hated me the whole time..i got fired without given any write up or final warning. So that is my story, banks are by far the worst employment ever, so i suggest dont talk to your co-workers about whatever your going to do cause they will hold it against you. Do what you have to do but dont disclose anything to them.

Comment

Personally, I would say quit the bank and find a job that is open more hours and offers different shifts. That way you would have more flexibility to switch shifts and juggle your schedule around school or whatever. Doesn't sound like the bank will be thrilled to do you any favors when it comes time for a recommendation anyway. Who knows? Maybe you'll have a much better environment at your new job and you'll have some very positive references to put down.

Comment

I just walked away from my job because my employer would not give me the promotion and raise they promised after my 90 day probation was up. Their reason (never given to me verbally by supervisor but through another manager) was that they found out I was in BI with SDSO, and did not want to give me the leadership position just so I would leave. Some of my co-workers there HATE law enforcements and would always make reference to pigs, bacon, etc (not surprisingly given their past and current criminal activity). When I decided to put myself through my own modular academy, they made my life and work situation difficult (even though the hours were well outside of my work hours).

So I decided to go back to school fulltime (currently taking 28 semester units with the academy included).

You have to weigh the pros/cons of your situation. You may get a really bad reference if you leave, so do your best to mitigate the circumstances BUT KNOW WHEN ENOUGH IS ENOUGH AND TO WALK AWAY. Keep in mind this may bite you when an agency starts your background. They might see it as you couldn't hack it.
              Last edited by avalon42; 09-22-2008, 12:12 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4633 users online. 269 members and 4364 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X