300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question CHP

why are some of the alley (spot) lights red on the CV's? just curious, im sure there is some tactical reason for the red light. or does it just appear to be red? is it really white when on?

I am not sure what you are asking. Spot lights and alley lights are different.

Slick-top CHP cars have a red spotlight on the driver's side because California law mandates a solid red light to the front in order to effectuate a traffic stop.

In cars with light bars, I believe the driver's spot is white (clear).
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Alley lights on light bars are traditionally on the sides to illuminate those areas. Take down lights are in the front to illuminate that area.

Most CHP patrol vehicles do not run alley lights and they use the spot lights to illuminate a range of areas about the patrol vehicle.

If you saw RED lights in the place of the Alley Lights (to the sides) I would guess that they are to add visibility to the patrol car from the sides under code 3 operations. I have not seen any CHP units equipped in that manner. Perhaps Sacto is testing the setup.

A steady lighted RED lamp to the front is required on all emergency vehicles when operating under emergency conditions.

21806. Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle which is sounding a siren and which has at least one lighted lamp exhibiting red light that is visible, under normal atmospheric conditions, from a distance of 1,000 feet to the front of the vehicle, the surrounding traffic shall, except as otherwise directed by a traffic officer...
      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

thank you to both sgtCHP and DAL. i really appreciate the info!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4274 users online. 184 members and 4090 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X