300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absinthe

A friend of mine will be in town this weekend after a tour in Iraq. I heard that he has a bottle of abisnthe that he wants to celebrate with. I am not too familiar with it, but know that it was once banned in the US, but is now legal. Is it considered regular alcohol or a drug?

I tried marijuana twice, but haven't touched it in over 11 years. I have not done any other drugs, nor am I interested in any drugs, other than alcohol.

My question is, will drinking this with him hurt me in any way? I am currently applying for a position with RSO. If it will, no questions, I will stay away. But if it's like drinking a beer with him, no harm right?

Thanks!

Kempo, I had a group of friends that went over to Europe in May. They were drinking that stuff and one of them ended up in the hospital. The guys that were with him said he passed out, turned pale white and his eyes were rolled back in his head. When he got to the hospital he was put into an ICU unit and they said they thought he could suffer perm. brain damage. He is OK but no longer drinks anything and say's he thought he was dying.
    I know all this sounds drastic but it is what it is.

I wouldn't drink it.

Best of luck in the process.

Comment

" no to the "green fairy"....

Originally posted by kempo1 View Post
      A friend of mine will be in town this weekend after a tour in Iraq. I heard that he has a bottle of abisnthe that he wants to celebrate with. I am not too familiar with it, but know that it was once banned in the US, but is now legal. Is it considered regular alcohol or a drug?

I tried marijuana twice, but haven't touched it in over 11 years. I have not done any other drugs, nor am I interested in any drugs, other than alcohol.

My question is, will drinking this with him hurt me in any way? I am currently applying for a position with RSO. If it will, no questions, I will stay away. But if it's like drinking a beer with him, no harm right?

Thanks!
      If you are going to do that, try drinking "sterno" first Like already stated , "No". you don't know who bottled or brewed it ( there are at least 100 distillers of the stuff in europe) and the FDA and DEA both are "inconsistent" on whether the stuff is legal to sell or use.The kick against it is a long held belief that it has pscyho active and hallucinogenic properties . If it is ,or sounds like a "drug", best to leave it alone if you are serious about applying for an L.E. agency.you said you "tried" MJ already, isn't that enough??? It sometimes bothers me that sooo many applicants of this generation are so non chalant about drug experimentation (liicking frogs, taking "shrooms", X, light coke use)- you have to realize that if you come into this field ,you'll be arresting people for possession and use of marijauna, don't you? they "too" will claim to have just tried the stuff- so why dabble in other things that have murky associations with substance abuse? !you want to celebrate with a "legal" intoxicant"? buy your friend a bottle of "Johnny walker Black", " glen fiddich" or "Makers' mark",pass around a dozen shot glasses and cheers!(just don't drive) good luck
      Last edited by DOAcop38; 09-11-2008, 06:30 PM.
      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Did you say "Johnny Walker Black", Ohhhhhh..... ohhhhhhhh... Don't make me break out the glass....

Comment

Hi kempo1,

If you insist on absinthe, make sure the distller is reputable, and that the product is US legal, and be careful with that stuff, some it is over 90% ethanol.

You might want instead to try a single malt scotch.

My favorite is the MacAllan. Kind of expensive, but very good.

You can get a 50 ml. of the 12 year old for $5-6, a 750 ml. of same for about $50, the same size of the 18 year old for around three times that, and the 30 year old is around $900. The older stuff is a little better, but not price-proportionately so; it's the rarity that's being reflected in the price. And the 12 year old is exceptionally good anyway.

I like to add a few drops of water. It makes the flavor and scents more accessible.

According to the MacAllan website, their single malt scotch can be found in your area at:

LA BODEGA LIQUOR
          3512 CENTRAL AV
          RIVERSIDE
          CALIFORNIA

LIQUOR PLUS
          345-47 S STATE ST
          HEMET
          CALIFORNIA

Welcome back from Iraq to your friend.

Regards,

Monty

Comment

Absinthe kills vampires so it must be really bad.

LOL! If you have to question its safety..dont drink it. Simple as that!
            "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Thanks for the response. I wasn't so much questioning its safety nor was I implying my interest in "experimenting" with drug use. I'm just not familiar with it and was looking for some feedback.

I'm down with the Johnny Walker or Jack Daniels, and definitely no driving.

Thanks again for the input.

Comment

True "absinthe" was distilled from wormwood and other herbs, and was made illegal as pure wormwood oil is poisonous. The chemical thujone is what is considered the hallucinogenic element, so most "absinthes" will have a thujone percentage listed. A lot are also very high alcohol.

The correct way to drink it, is to pour some in a small, cordial style glass, then drip ice water over a sugar cube into the liquor until it creates a milky, opaque drink. The sugar is because it is very bitter on its own.
                Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bar room heroes View Post
                  Did you say "Johnny Walker Black", Ohhhhhh..... ohhhhhhhh... Don't make me break out the glass....

Hmmm, I've never had Black...I'm a JW Red fan myself.

Last edited by ChRdy21799; 09-11-2008, 11:20 PM.
                  It is Attitude, not circumstance, that makes Success possible even in the most unlikely conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by ChRdy21799 View Post
                    Hmmm, I've never had Black...I'm a JW Red fan myself.

Jack Daniels Single-Barrel is worth trying as well, IMHO... A bit pricy, but Smooooooooth....
                    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Comment

Single Barrel is one of my favorite "special" drinks. The cheapest place to buy it by the way is at Sam's Club or Costco. It's about $30.

Comment

Is this not the same liquid that many people claim caused Van Gogh to cut off his own ear?
                        LAPD

Comment

Crown Royal FTW!

Comment

When I was stationed in Europe my friends and I rented a van to go to Slavania. A big party country. I had a few glasses of the stuff and didnt have any side effects. The "drug properties" like hallucinogenic properties and such only occur if you drink alot of it. As to whether it will show up on a drug screen im not sure. But if it was me and I was serious about the job im applying for I would drink something else.
                            What Is A Veteran?
                            A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlioz View Post
                              Is this not the same liquid that many people claim caused Van Gogh to cut off his own ear?
                              Yes, but I think you will succumb to the alcohol and pass out long before any of the various herbs affect you. I think there are a few studies out there that have confirmed this. However, I think he had a laundry list of problem beside drinking.

Back to the topic: If your gut instinct tells you something may be questionable, then listen to it. I would not want to "try" anything questionable at this point in time. I think an employer will see recent dabbling in questionable practices as lack of judgement and/or maturity.

Hey, that old cliche, "curiosity killed the cat" comes to mind. I would not want to be that cat! Have fun with your friend. Buy something nice at BevMo and share that with him.
                              "That's the problem with people like you, George. You want results but you never want to get your hands dirty." - Jack Bauer

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."
                              - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6373 users online. 354 members and 6019 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X