Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RSO hiring

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RSO hiring

    I turned in my background packet on 8/05 and still have not heard anything. Is it true that the RSO is conducting academies every month? When I went to the background orientation, the corrections officer stated that he was preparing everyone for the february academy. I hope I get in sooner!! Does the whole process typically take 4-6 months? just wondering what if anyone else has experienced difficulty with the waiting process. I am originally from Texas and I was also wondering if anyone knew any police forces in California that let you keep your military time towards retirement? And do you get paid more for a bachelors degree?

    Written - 7-21-08
    PAT - 8/03/08
    Background packet turned in - 8/05
    Last edited by buffb27; 09-10-2008, 12:20 PM. Reason: forgot information

  • #2
    Yes, the counties are a bit slow in their hiring process.
    Depending on the retirement system, I know sometimes you can buy back your military time. My Father, a city level employee, retired with CalPERS and bought back his military time. So I don't see any reason Law Enforcement doesn't do the same or better. Yes, a Bachelors equals more money.
    "That's the problem with people like you, George. You want results but you never want to get your hands dirty." - Jack Bauer

    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."
    - Abraham Lincoln

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by buffb27 View Post
      I turned in my background packet on 8/05 and still have not heard anything. Is it true that the RSO is conducting academies every month? When I went to the background orientation, the corrections officer stated that he was preparing everyone for the february academy. I hope I get in sooner!! Does the whole process typically take 4-6 months? just wondering what if anyone else has experienced difficulty with the waiting process. I am originally from Texas and I was also wondering if anyone knew any police forces in California that let you keep your military time towards retirement? And do you get paid more for a bachelors degree?

      Written - 7-21-08
      PAT - 8/03/08
      Background packet turned in - 8/05
      Are you going for deputy or a custody officer?

      And the background depends on many things, including your background (where you have lived, your age, jobs, etc), the investigator's caseload, and how thorough you were in your packet. The more the easier it will be on the investigator. Yes, you will be able to apply your federal service credit and you will be paid more for the degree.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by buffb27 View Post
        I turned in my background packet on 8/05 and still have not heard anything. Is it true that the RSO is conducting academies every month? When I went to the background orientation, the corrections officer stated that he was preparing everyone for the february academy. I hope I get in sooner!! Does the whole process typically take 4-6 months? just wondering what if anyone else has experienced difficulty with the waiting process. I am originally from Texas and I was also wondering if anyone knew any police forces in California that let you keep your military time towards retirement? And do you get paid more for a bachelors degree?

        Written - 7-21-08
        PAT - 8/03/08
        Background packet turned in - 8/05
        I turned in my background packet on May, 14, and just got the hire phone call yesterday (9/9), so it took 4 months, (actually 6 because I took the written on 3/21).
        Just be patient. No news is good news. If there is a problem with your packet you'll get a DQ letter in the mail, so hope that doesn't happen.

        If you turned in your packet on 8/5, you would be on track for the February academy. I think they have an academy scheduled sometime in December. I believe the DST academy's will be spread about 8 weeks apart. I'm not too sure about the CD academy's.

        Comment


        • #5
          thanks for the replies. I am applying for the deputy sheriff position. I currently work as a Park Ranger but I am so anxious to get going as a RSO officer. That would be sweet if I could buy time. I have 8 years (4 air force, 4 marines). I got my degree in Kinesiology to be a football coach, but there are no jobs and the pay sucks. I was also wondering how the former marines compare the academy to Marine Boot Camp?
          Last edited by buffb27; 09-10-2008, 08:10 PM. Reason: fix

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by buffb27 View Post
            thanks for the replies. I am applying for the deputy sheriff position. I currently work as a Park Ranger but I am so anxious to get going as a RSO officer. That would be sweet if I could buy time. I have 8 years (4 air force, 4 marines). I got my degree in Kinesiology to be a football coach, but there are no jobs and the pay sucks. I was also wondering how the former marines compare the academy to Marine Boot Camp?
            Well, a couple of my classmates thinks who are marines, thinks the academy is harder.

            mahalo!!
            You Just Need To Wait a Bit Longer.
            In The End, It Doesn't Matter How Long It Took To Get There, Only That You Arrived.... Bob Dylan

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mahalom3 View Post
              Well, a couple of my classmates thinks who are marines, thinks the academy is harder.

              mahalo!!
              As a 12 year Jarhead, I will say academically?, YES.
              Mentally? Not at all.
              Physically? - Its a Joke.
              Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
              --Winston Churchill--

              "Si vis pacem, para bellum"

              Comment


              • #8
                that is what I thought. But by no means am I saying it is going to be easy. I am an 0311 so I think I should be good. My old MSgt works for Jurupa Station and he is the one who turned me to RSO.

                Comment


                • #9
                  OK, guys, a degree will get you your POST Intermediate and Advanced certificate faster, which means more money. Yes, you can buy your military time back so you can retire with more service credits. Riverside Co. Personnel says they give preference to veterans but I don't know how that works. Marine boot camp is tougher than the academy.
                  I was with them for 32 yrs, now retired.
                  Three Stripes beats Four Aces.
                  Retirement: You've Won the War when you're Paid to Stay at Home.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by SoCalSheriff View Post
                    As a 12 year Jarhead, I will say academically?, YES.
                    Mentally? Not at all.
                    Physically? - Its a Joke.
                    Yes, I forgot to mention academics.

                    mahalo!!
                    You Just Need To Wait a Bit Longer.
                    In The End, It Doesn't Matter How Long It Took To Get There, Only That You Arrived.... Bob Dylan

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hey Guys im new to the boards. Im Chris from Hesperia California currently working as a campus safety officer for a local school district in Ontario Ca. Last week I had a little bug in my head to call the RSO hotline and get signed up for the written. I went in on Saturday afternoon and passed the test. It was way cool they gave me my results right after. No going through the pain of waiting for results in the mail. RSO had a real nice online assessment exam that I really really like. To me it really shows more about the person. Anyway im stoked out that I passed the test considering the fact that I applied for other agencies and did not pass the exam. (Little test anxiety) Maybe this time it will mean something. Im really excited. I herd RSO is hiring big time so hopefully that will increase my chances. IS there anyone else here going through the process? Has anyone made it to the medical part of the process. I have some medical question as far as vision that I would like to answerd. Take care people
                      Chris

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Just spend some time going over the RSO threads and you'll find people at all stages. You'll learn alot quickly. Late.
                        BORDER PATROL [/COLOR][/I][/U]- WRITTEN PASSED 2/12 ORAL PASSED 2/16
                        B/I Packet Turned in 2/24,
                        Med/Physical/Drug Screen Passed 3/13/09
                        B/I Interview+Quals Complete and Report sent 4-22-09, 5-7-09 SENT TO TSU

                        EOD 10-5-09
                        For those who want to win there is never enough time to train

                        Comment

                        MR300x250 Tablet

                        Collapse

                        What's Going On

                        Collapse

                        There are currently 4530 users online. 251 members and 4279 guests.

                        Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                        Welcome Ad

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X