300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noobie question regarding the physical standards of LAPD/LASD/VCSD

Hello everyone, long time lurker here that just had my account validated so I thought I would jump in, ignorance blazing (Despite what a great resource this site has proven to be, I still manage to not know everything. Go figure).

Anyway, I recently finished up my Master's degree and was looking to get into law enforcement here in Southern California. The three main agencies that interest me are LAPD, LASD and VCSD. I am confident in my intellect, my analytical skills, my ability to keep a level head and thrive under pressure. I feel I'm a great candidate except...my level of physical fitness at this point in time. College and grad school were none too kind to my waistline nor conducive to regular gym visits.

So, finally, my query: will I still be able to begin the application process and proceed normally while I hit the gym again? Or perchance will there be an opportunity to focus on this at the academy, i.e. a fitness platoon like the military operates for physically remedial candidates? Finally, any tips or specific advice and/or favorite workout routines?

Also, while we're jawboning here, past marijuana experimentation and an arrest when I was younger that was handled informally and led to no prosecution won't effect me in the hiring process for these agencies will it?

Thanks,
    SoCal Hopeful

VCSD does their PAT immediately after you pass the written exam, so it's the 2nd real step in your application process. Their standards are posted here http://www.vcsd.org/physical_agility.pdf

I just did the intitial interview and received my background packet for LASD and they were rather vague about when the physical testing would take place but the civilian employee who handed me the packet said it would be after the background investigation and medical were completed, so I would think you'd have plenty of time to get into shape for LASD.

Comment

From my experience, you should have around 4 months to hit the bricks before the physical assessment with LASD from your written date... However, other agencies may do it immediately after the written. Alas, some do it a few weeks after the written. Either way, I would start NOW.

Comment

LAPD doesn't have hard physical testing to get hired....but you better be in shape when you get there...
        "For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

Comment

Last edited by CrossFit; 09-09-2009, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigcitypolice06 View Post
            LAPD doesn't have hard physical testing to get hired....but you better be in shape when you get there...
            its laughable- people are coming out of ARTC almost as FAT as they went in; bragging about coming out of LAPD academy like when I did means nothing now adays and its sad....the recruit officers that take it serious work and do all they can to get in shape, but i see alot of people in the morning up there that are obviously NOT giving their 100%. LASD-Stars or Rio hondo , san Berdoo SD,or riverside SD( Ben Clarke trng center),and OCSDA would run alot of these recruits out of a job-PDQ.

The "good thing" is that ,if you are coming off the street and not really in shape, most of the city L.E. units (LAPD,PORT PD,LAXPD,GEN.Services -OPS PD) wil give you 4-6wks of "in house" pre academy phys.ed training PRIOR to entering the official academy...........

www.lacity.org/per/psb_safety.htm
            "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

run run run pushups run run pushups run run

should be good to go
              this is the workout plan im on
              RSO
              Written-7/18----passed
              PAT-8/27----passed
              Turned in packet 9/8---turned in

SBSO
              Written-9/10---can't wait

Comment

should be good to go
                RSO
                Written-7/18----passed
                PAT-8/27----passed
                Turned in packet 9/8---turned in

SBSO
                Written-9/10---can't wait

Comment

Workouts

I agree with "crossfit" guy. Their workouts are great. I do them about 4 times a week. There is also a another Gym out there with their workout online is called Monkey Bar Gym. Just a suggestion check them out. Best of Luck.. Geo
                  WWW.viking comabtives.com
                  WWW.icetraining.us
                  WWW.centerlinegym.com

Comment

Originally posted by RyanJ00 View Post

should be good to go
                    Sit-ups...

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
                      its laughable- people are coming out of ARTC almost as FAT as they went in; bragging about coming out of LAPD academy like when I did means nothing now adays and its sad....the recruit officers that take it serious work and do all they can to get in shape, but i see alot of people in the morning up there that are obviously NOT giving their 100%. LASD-Stars or Rio hondo , san Berdoo SD,or riverside SD( Ben Clarke trng center),and OCSDA would run alot of these recruits out of a job-PDQ.

The "good thing" is that ,if you are coming off the street and not really in shape, most of the city L.E. units (LAPD,PORT PD,LAXPD,GEN.Services -OPS PD) wil give you 4-6wks of "in house" pre academy phys.ed training PRIOR to entering the official academy...........

www.lacity.org/per/psb_safety.htm
                      I'm 6 months away from graduating and at least that far away from entering an academy, but I'm already physically ready to go. I sometimes wonder when I go to tests if people woke up that day and decided that they wanted to become a cop. Judging by the physical shape that they are in and the way that they dress, they clearly aren't taking the process seriously. I was very disappointed in LAPD's physical test, IMO it should be one of the hardest, but I'm sure it's the easiest that I will take.

Comment

A Lieutenant from RSO told me:

"Make sure you're in good shape before the academy, that way you don't need to worry about the physical stuff, and can concentrate on academics."

Sounds like good advice to me.

Comment

It's great advice and the truth; I'm following it to the "t".

I've heard it from 2 Captains, another couple of LTs, 5 Sergeants, lots of senior officers, and like a bazillion patrol officers/deputies.

Comment

I agree. Lots of running, and various departments have guidelines for their respective PATs as well as what you should be able to do before the academy. The CHP has VERY specific information on what you should be able to do before their academy.

The only reason I haven't applied yet, is because I'm not where I want to be physically. I need to drop my body fat percentage and add more miles to my runs!

Most of the PATs are: 99 yard obstacles course, 6 foot chain link fence, 6 foot solid fence, 500 yard run (I've seen 440 yards too), 165lb dummy drap. Some also have a timed mile run, a 100 yard sprint, and pull the trigger of a firearm several times in each hand, etc. Most test are timed, so the faster you are, the better chance you have. A lot of the info is online. Good luck.
                            "That's the problem with people like you, George. You want results but you never want to get your hands dirty." - Jack Bauer

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."
                            - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3260 users online. 143 members and 3117 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X