Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting hired on while in the academy?

I am hoping to get picked up by he local Sheriff and start in the next academy. (oral board tomorrow) I am thinking of going ahead and entering the academy anyway. (with or without a job offer)
    When I was down in OC, I was told it was pretty common for guys to get picked up while in the academy. At that time I was talking with Orange PD about going into the OC Sheriff's academy. They seemed pretty upbeat about my chances of being picked up if I was doing well in the academy.
    Does anyone know how common it is? (especially in Central/Southern CA)
    If you went through an academy recently, were there any guys there with no job? How did they do? Also, how did they fit in with all the rest of the guys who were recruits? (I was thinking it might be an odd dynamic, being the only guy who does not have a dept)
    If you are a recruiter, or have been involved in hiring for your dept; your input would be great as well. It would seem that a dept would jump on someone who was in the academy and doing well. How is the process done? Timeline? Do they come looking for un-hired guys at the academy, etc?
    Thanks!

It is possible that you could receive a "Conditional Offer" while in the academy and there would likely be a caveat of "Upon your successful completion of the academy."

It is not likely that you would be fully hired and sworn while in the academy.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

From my experience, most the of the trainees at OCSA are hired/sponsored by an agency. Rarely you'll have a self-sponsored trainee with Santa Ana College patches. On the other hand if you go to an academy such as Rio Hondo, there are a great number of pre-service cadets. Recruiters from various agencies make presentations targeting those cadets. There is no difference between sponsored and pre-service cadets. Everyone goes in as cookie dough and comes out as the Keebler Elf.

Comment

McGruff is correct regarding the rarity of a non-sponsored recruit at OCSA. Most of them are sponsored, not many graduate when started as an independant. Your best chance would be to attend Goldenwest or Rio Hondo. But if you plan to apply to OCSD, you will need to attend OCSA's academy.

Yes, graduating from an academy makes you more marketable, but there is no guarantee you will get a job. It will depend on your background, how you test, your psych and medical. In my class, there was several non-sponsored recruits, and a few of them were able to wear patches by graduation to get sworn in. The others were still in the process.

In my opinion, those that attend the academy as non-sponsored have a bit of a more uphill battle. Not only are they not as prepared as those that are sponsored because they didn't get to take advantage of the pre-academy, but they are going into a class not knowing anyone. Plus, throughout the entire academy, they are so busy with applications, interviews, testing, and background paperwork, on top of the daily academy assignments and tests, it makes it a lot harder for them.

I would recommend you to just apply as a recruit, get paid while you're in the academy. Getting paid to be yelled at and to work out.

If you have a clean background, and you have life experiance, and you're in decent shape, then apply with Orange PD. They are a good department, but if you've had any recent drug use or non-legal activity (DUI, theft, etc.), then you may want to look elsewhere.

Good luck.
        "Think about the consequences before you mess with a Deputy Sheriff."

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!
          I am no longer in OC so OCSD won't happen. (yet) But, if things don't work out here (Bakersfield) I may look at going back.
          That is one reason I was thinking of starting an academy soon. If things don't work out here I need a plan B. Was thinking if I got my POST I'd be in a better position to get hired.

Comment

It is common to get hired as a self-sponsored recruit.. A lot of it depends on the agency.. Find out how many openings they have. Usually the agencies will come to the academy around the 3rd or 4th week.. that is your opportunity to interview and get applications for a few agencies.

If you are able to get hired prior to starting the academy, by all means, DO IT. Nothing better than getting paid to do pushups.. Just remember. The longer you wait to get hired pre-academy, the more time you waste.

Comment

I am planning on attending Golden West College's pre academy course in about a months time. Can anyone tell me when i should start applying to the agency's that im interested in?
              Huntington, Newport, Costa Mesa, Orange, Fountain Valley...

Comment

^ Now...might as well get paid in the pre-academy.

Comment

Self-sponsored recruits going through Santa Ana College will attend the OCSA. I wanted to do that 3 years ago after I completed PC 832 but was shot down by the Academy Coordinator. He told me I'd have better luck at Goldenwest. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by verker77 View Post
                    I am planning on attending Golden West College's pre academy course in about a months time. Can anyone tell me when i should start applying to the agency's that im interested in?
                    Huntington, Newport, Costa Mesa, Orange, Fountain Valley...
                    Apply ASAP if you are ready to attend the academy in approx 4 months. Huntington Beach generally only tests 3 to 4 times a year...and there are usually about 70+ people who show up. Newport is hard to get in unless you've been in the military. Fountain Valley generally doesn't really hire new recruits. They generally hire within; a cadet that's been with the agency for a while or a pre-service (one who's already graduated from an academy). Costa Mesa sends their recruits to OCSA, so if you'd prefer to attend Golden West's Academy, then you will need to start out as a self-sponser. Orange is a big supporter of Goldenwest. Their hiring process is very fast for those who are in their top group.

Good luck.

Comment

Last edited by Viffer; 09-28-2008, 08:59 PM. Reason: Dup

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4825 users online. 255 members and 4570 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X