300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Know someone on the inside

I know a person who's father was a CHP officer. As soon as this guy turned 21 he was guaranteed a position in the academy if he passed the written. Long story short he's a CHP officer now.

Is it easier to get hired in a department if you know someone on the inside?

Originally posted by siryessir View Post
    I know a person who's father was a CHP officer. As soon as this guy turned 21 he was guaranteed a position in the academy if he passed the written.
    The California Constitution mandates that permanent appointment and promotion in civil service be based on merit, as ascertained by competitive examination. If you are aware of fraud in the CHP testing process, you should notify the State Pereonnel Board.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I dont think it was fraud, I think his application process went through alot faster than a normal applicant.

Comment

Being that his dad was a CHP officer, you would think he would have a cleaner background than most applicants, but I'm sure the dad thing didn't hurt.

Comment

His background was clean for the most part I think, but he also failed the written on the first try.

Comment

Nepotism was an issue with the department I used to work for. If your mom, dad, uncle, or any other family works or worked for the department, your chances of getting a job were much better. Nepotism is also strong in the NYPD, Chicago, PD, and Boston PD. It never hurts to have connections in the right places. It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by AR-15 View Post
              Nepotism was an issue with the department I used to work for. If your mom, dad, uncle, or any other family works or worked for the department, your chances of getting a job were much better. Nepotism is also strong in the NYPD, Chicago, PD, and Boston PD. It never hurts to have connections in the right places. It is what it is.
              Like this nonsense
              http://blutube.policeone.com/Clip.as...46F3C16BDFD7CA

Comment

Originally posted by siryessir View Post
                I dont think it was fraud, I think his application process went through alot faster than a normal applicant.
                Let's see, "guaranteed" a position in the academy if he merely passed the written. Application process went through a lot faster than a normal applicant (apparently bypassing the civil service process, rule of three and eligible list).

Sure sounds like fraud in the testing process to me.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by IronBruin View Post

Yes....That is one of the reasons why I decided to leave and work for a department 1,600 miles away.

Comment

petty theft conviction $900 worth of items from his employment. how is anything over $400 still misd petty theft not to mention embezzlement since it was theft from an employer. im lost..

Comment

I used to work with this guy years ago. He seemed like a stand up guy, but I remember there was some jealousy among our peers.

Comment

Does anyone know what became of Recruit Valladon?

Comment

During my career I have heard of many CHP offspring becoming members of the CHP. I have also heard of many who did not qualify and were not accepted. The successful candidates were hired due to the efforts of their own merit, not their daddy's or mommy's.

The examination process for the CHP is unbiased and openly competitive.

It is extremely unlikely that anyone was able to use their influence or position to get someone on the job. An officer may be used as a reference, and his/her reference may carry a tad more weight when compared to another reference, but the bottom line is if a candidate cannot successfully complete the entire testing process, they will not be offered a position.
                          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

If it was true I'd be hired and in the academy already.
                            Focused Recruit

Comment

Don't like to disagree with you guys, but I have seen it happen. I have watched "so-and-so's son-in-law" go right to the front of the line. Very minimal background investigation, no poly, etc. I have seen girls who couldn't get over the wall or complete the required push ups have the agility test waived, and then they magically appeared in the academy. "Oh that's right, that's LT so-and-so's daughter..."

These people weren't even bright enough to be "quiet" about it. You've all seen them at tests, standing around bragging about how they know so-and-so and this and that. Then when the proctor comes around, they will usually get the nod or a handshake and the "how's your dad doing?"

Most of the wildest, craziest kids I had known in high school and college had come from law enforcement families, and the majority of them are all LEOs now.

It isn't what you know, it's who you know, and better yet, who you are related to.

I saw all of this growing up in Norcal, so I couldn't say anything about LASD or any Socal agency for that matter, but nepotism is alive and well up north.

As mentioned above, "it is what it is."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5172 users online. 319 members and 4853 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X