300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDPD and Sheriffs Dept questions

Im currently deployed in Iraq at the time being, conducting detainee operations. I plan on getting back to tampa and applying for the SDPD or the SD sheriffs Dept. Sometime early next year. I have a few questions about my personal situations and there possible views on my eligibility. First some introduction. Im 24 and had a good amount of experiences. I've been a MP for almost 7 years now in the reserves. Performed as a Garrison MP for a year and a half, then moved to FL and worked as a juvenile correctional officer at a level 6 mental Juvenile Justice Center for 3 years, and back active for this deployment. Im in perfect physical shape. I work out 7 days a week for 2 hours. I would consider myself very ambitious and self reliant. Here are the question I have...

1. I had some credit troubles that shot my credit way down. Since this deployment, I've been able to pay off almost all of it, and ill have all of it paid off by the time I apply for the Dept's. My credit score wont be up above 700, but will that affect my hire?

2. I have a NY GED and a semester of college. I was going to school at the time of them pulling me to come to Iraq. I plan on going back to school once I get hired and finish the academy if my schedule allows it. How much lower on the eligibility list will I be put for not having a finished college degree?

3. What is the hiring wait time?

4. Is there an expedited out of state hiring process? I don't want to have to fly out there every weekend. Maybe do the written and PAT and interview all in one 10 day span?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by Mpguy84; 09-06-2008, 10:44 AM.

I will try my best to answer the questions you posted. I will be starting the academy for SDPD next month.

1. My credit score was not the highest (probably lower than yours). So as long as yours is respectable and you have legitimate explanations for negatives it should not be a point of contention.

2. College credits are not a requirement for SDPD. However the more you have the merrier. Just get all of your academic history in order and you should be fine.

3. While I can not speak for everyone, I can say that they processed me extremely fast. From the day I took the walk-in written till when they called me for the academy was less than 2 months.

4. I flew out to SD for one weekend for the written and the PAT. Then a month later I flew out there for a week for the rest of the process.

Everyone was extremely polite and professional that I dealt with. They made the processing very trouble/stress free. PM me if you have any specific questions.
    "We have nothing to fear but fear itself"

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Sheriff's Department can coordinate your appointments while you're in town. But the process will still be slow. Takes 9-12 months.
      In backgrounds ...

Comment

I was able to get all of my testing for the SDPD done in 2 trips. I am not sure if that was an exception or if I got lucky, but I only made 2 trips out to SD. One for the Written/PAT and another for everything else. I can't speak for everyone, but I know that it was rather pleasant experience.

- Godspeed
        "We have nothing to fear but fear itself"

Comment

This helped out alot. Im hoping to get in within 6 months. I think I should be fine. Thanx alot everyone. Lightnight64, ill be in contact with you about some other questions. thanx again.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4786 users online. 239 members and 4547 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X