300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are SAPD's standards so high?

I would love to work for Santa Ana Police Department but their standars are really high. I heard they only accept officers from other departments, once in while a Academy Grad., and rarely a recruit. WHY is this?

They pay bank?

Comment

They hire new recruits all the time. Just not right now because of the hiring freeze. They're not even hiring laterals at this time.

Of the last 3 academy classes, they have put through approximately 20 new recruits. So...not sure where you're getting your info from.

Comment

My only experience with SAPD (recruiting wise) is that they STRONGLY encourage bilingual (spanish speakers) to apply and give them the nod ahead of English only speakers.....that's not the "official" line but it's what I was told. They aren't as tough as Irvine from what I have seen.
        "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." -President Ronald Reagan

Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Comment

I've heard their FTO is very tough and they wash out a lot of probationary officers. Is this true?
          Focused Recruit

Comment

Their standards aren't any higher then any other local agency. I personally would never work there because the whole City is a craphole. I had a buddy get washed out there for "officer safety". What was funny is I worked with him as a reserve at a busier department and he never had a problem there. He is also a BJJ black belt. Him getting let go was a joke. He's now off probation at another local agency and doing fine.
            Last edited by hbliam; 09-06-2008, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Their recruitment will resume shortly.

They demand quite a bit of their applicants (ex. they do not want you processing with any other departments during their process) which I personally believe is a lot to ask of an applicant the way things are these days.

They do have multiple positions to fill. They simply want the best candidates they can find (who doesn't?) and their pay/benifits package affords them the means to pick and choose very carefully.

Being bilingual english/spanish would be a HUGE advantage there, but from what I have been told, they are not presently as stringent on this as they have been in the past.

Comment

Thank you guys for your advice. I look foward to one day become a good SAPD's Officer.

Comment

I have a few friends who work at Santa Ana Police Department and I have been on a few ride alongs. So here is what I have learned...

Knowing Spanish is almost required. It is a huge officer safety issue there as a lot of the people you deal with either speak spanish as a primary language or as their only language.

They keep VERY busy. The ride a longs I went on were action packed and I have been on ride alongs with Garden Grove and Irvine and they can't compare. They keep very busy and they get paid higher than any agency in Orange County (last I checked).

The first ride a long I went on with my buddy he asked me if I wanted to find someone doing drugs and I kinda laughed at him (at that point I had only been on ride a longs with Irvine and they could be boring). Not five minutes later we drove up on a couple in possession of meth. The boyfriend was high and did his best to kick the rear window out before my friend chewed him out (and scared the crap out of him).

I think a lot of officers are looking for that kind of activity level and that department is very popular for lateral hires.

Hope that helps.
                  Last edited by FlyTrap; 09-07-2008, 09:50 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam View Post
                    Their standards aren't any higher then any other local agency. I personally would never work there because the whole City is a craphole. I had a buddy get washed out there for "officer safety". What was funny is I worked with him as a reserve at a busier department and he never had a problem there. He is also a BJJ black belt. Him getting let go was a joke. He's now off probation at another local agency and doing fine.
                    The city of L.A. is hiring !!! The "problem" HB is that everyone wants to go to the "b*tchin', Big money "Trendy" dept- Santa Ana offers big checks and a taste of the hood, but an officer can drive less than 10 or 15 mins away and still live in a nice part of tawny OC !! Sorry your "bro" got jerked around- Having been an FTO, I've sen how "alot of B.S. " can be slapped on as officer safety- its actually about what an FTO can "Teach" first ,then what the trainee can display and retain secondly-send him my way and I'll guarantee you he'll make the dept and can LATERAL BACK to SAPD( and NO NOE will talk crap about his "tactics" as a lateral).Had one of SRT unit officers tranfer there after working at a smaller SGV area PD. He tried to talk up his newer depts experience ,and the interviewers were MORE interested in his education AND his LAX experience ,as they rightly figured he had more diverse activity at LAX....

www.laxpd.com
                    Last edited by DOAcop38; 09-07-2008, 10:10 PM.
                    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6138 users online. 320 members and 5818 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X