300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSO orientation

First post. I'm scheduled for orientation with the San Diego Sheriffs Dept on Oct 2nd. What can I expect? Any advice? I've been talking to people who have been DQ'd and the responses have been interesting. I've tried pot a couple of times in my life. The first time I didn't know what I was doing. The second time my heart rate raced, scared the poop out of me, never touched the stuff since (Summer 2000). Do you think something like that would DQ me?

Originally posted by SDRich View Post
    First post. I'm scheduled for orientation with the San Diego Sheriffs Dept on Oct 2nd. What can I expect? Any advice? I've been talking to people who have been DQ'd and the responses have been interesting. I've tried pot a couple of times in my life. The first time I didn't know what I was doing. The second time my heart rate raced, scared the poop out of me, never touched the stuff since (Summer 2000). Do you think something like that would DQ me?
    No, assuming that you're telling the truth.

Comment

I have heard (not verified) a slew of new street hires quit the academy(s) this year. I also know San Marcos Station had some trainees quit recently. (Who are they hiring now a days!?!?!)

We need to hire a good size group just to replace the recent quitters. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by jato View Post
        I have heard (not verified) a slew of new street hires quit the academy(s) this year. I also know San Marcos Station had some trainees quit recently. (Who are they hiring now a days!?!?!)

We need to hire a good size group just to replace the recent quitters. Let us know how it goes.
        *calls SDSO BI back to go forward with backgrounds*

Comment

I was talking to a buddy of mine who recently had his orientation. He was DQ'd because he was being honest and admitted that he took a candy bar and some money from a previous job. They said that since he was an adult when it happened that automatically DQ'd him. YIKES! I've never done anything of the sort but geez I'm afraid to admit I ever J-Walked! I guess some of the other things they ask was "Have you ever been drunk before?". WOW kinda makes you wonder.

Comment

Holy Lord. And there are anxious people like me who will do just about anything (legally) to get hired on.

Comment

Not all trainees quit because they just feel like it or are having a difficult time on training. If there is a high rate of people out of San Marcos that are quitting as compared to all the other stations we have, what does that tell you?
              Last edited by Looker; 09-11-2008, 05:43 PM.

Comment

That all of the FTOs are rookies

Comment

SDSO Orientation Went Smooth

First Post;
                  Went to the SDSO orientation this morning. Yes, there is (what I would consider) a mini-PHS........ with lot's of personal questions. You are also required to write a short essay stating your desire to be on the SDSO.

I recommend filling out the PHS online, at home before your orientation. This will allow you to research and verify things that need to be put in your packet at orientation.

You are not allowed to take the orientation packet home, yet you must answer almost all of the same questions on the PHS. That means you need to have things in order. Be consistent in your answers. Obviously, telling the truth is the key to consistency, however you will need to ensure you don't make mistakes with dates or forget answers to previously asked questions.

I called my BI today and he was very helpful. Since I already have other apps in and have my docs on hand, I plan on meeting my BI next week.

Anyone heard about how Deputy Sheriff Cadet (patrol) is looking in terms of hiring? I won't be able to get into an academy (if I make it that far) until July 2009 due to my retirement date.

My BI told me today to think about corrections since they had such a huge hiring recently for patrol deputies. I'm not too picky, but with a wife and two kids, the money is just not enough in corrections. I would probably decline that offer and go with SDPD.

Interestingly, he also mentioned to me that if one were to get into the corrections academy, do a couple of years in the jail, you have to re-apply for patrol and go through the Deputy Sheriff's Cadet patrol academy.

Comment

Anyone heard about how Deputy Sheriff Cadet (patrol) is looking in terms of hiring? I won't be able to get into an academy (if I make it that far) until July 2009 due to my retirement date.
                    The economy is tanking. I have already heard rumors next fiscal year will be bad on the Sheriff’s budget. The good news is, with 3% @50, many people are retiring each year making room for new blood.

Interestingly, he also mentioned to me that if one were to get into the corrections academy, do a couple of years in the jail, you have to re-apply for patrol and go through the Deputy Sheriff's Cadet patrol academy.
                    Do not fall for the Corrections Deputy routine unless you want to work a jail career. I know many Corrections Deputies who have tried to get hired as full Deputy Sheriffs and failed (for whatever reason). If you want to work law enforcement, apply to other departments and do not work corrections.

Comment

Do not fall for the Corrections Deputy routine unless you want to work a jail career. I know many Corrections Deputies who have tried to get hired as full Deputy Sheriffs and failed (for whatever reason). If you want to work law enforcement, apply to other departments and do not work corrections.
                      Jato,

Before I took my written, one of the recruiters claimed that the psych will tell them (SDSO) if a person is going to work better in corrections or law enforcement. So they encouraged us to apply for both positions just in case the psych will tell them we only qualify for the corrections.

I didn't bite but was just wondering if it was far-fetched.

Comment

I have no idea.

I do know I would not trust a recruiter

They told me I would only do 6 months in the jail. I ended up doing 3 years.

Comment

Thanks Jato; that's some valuable gouge. I have been told exactly what you are saying in terms of pursuing other agencies (if I really want to engage in law enforcement and help people).

I originally started seeking a law enforcement career with CHP (and that's still an option), but after my ride along with a sheriff's deputy (up north) it seems that police of work is more for me.

So..... I'll see if SDSO will hire me as a Deputy. If they do, I would take that position. If not, I am still working through the hiring for SDPD, CVPD and CHP.
                          -Chris

Comment

Freischlag I'm kind of in the same situation. My orientation is next week. I'll only sign on if they offer me the LE position. With a wife, daughter, and mortgage the court services postion doesn't cut it in salary. I've only applied with SDSO because I am currently a county employee and the benefits transition (vacation, sick) would transfer smoothly not to mention my retirement. So I'm crossing my fingers but not holding my breath at the same time. Which part of CV are you in?

Comment

I have no idea.

I do know I would not trust a recruiter

They told me I would only do 6 months in the jail. I ended up doing 3 years.
                              During my orientation, one of the presenters said that they were going to start transitioning Deputy's (LE) back into the jails again because that's where you pick up the skills to "talk and deal with the scum". Sounded convincing enough. I don't think I would need 3 years to hone those skills though. Tough break man.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4643 users online. 270 members and 4373 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X