Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the bar higher for out of state applicants?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the bar higher for out of state applicants?

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and the LE application process. I flew to California for a business trip and conveniently an agency was having a POST and PAT testing day for positions at the trainee level (will pay/sponsor academy, etc). Though the PAT was pass/fail, they were recording times and such and I think mine were fairly competitive for my age (33) (1:28 500yd, 20.1s obstacle course, etc). I just received my POST score back and it was an ominous 66.6 t-score.

My question is, does my out of state status carry with it an official or unofficial 'strike' against me? My concern is that I'm wasting my time trying to secure a position like this prior to relocating to California and maybe I need to roll the dice and make the move.

Answer: No

Originally posted by dfc26 View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and the LE application process. I flew to California for a business trip and conveniently an agency was having a POST and PAT testing day for positions at the trainee level (will pay/sponsor academy, etc). Though the PAT was pass/fail, they were recording times and such and I think mine were fairly competitive for my age (33) (1:28 500yd, 20.1s obstacle course, etc). I just received my POST score back and it was an ominous 66.6 t-score.

My question is, does my out of state status carry with it an official or unofficial 'strike' against me? My concern is that I'm wasting my time trying to secure a position like this prior to relocating to California and maybe I need to roll the dice and make the move.
    To answer your question; on whether or not being an out of state candidate is considered less attractive as a recruit, the answer is no.

A professional agency is going to look at the whole candidate and what that candidate brings to the "table". A professional agency cares more about who they are going to hire and work along side of, more then where you were raised or currently reside.

However, you will be challenged and may have a harder time then the local recruits during your FTO and initial learning process, in regards to your city geography. Remember you have to respond to calls for service quickly and not knowing the city geography will be a hindrance.

Regarding a move, can't help you there. I don't think you could ever waste time trying to secure a position, especially if that position is law enforcement. It takes a calling to be an officer, and if you feel you are called to the profession then by all means do whatever it takes to secure the position (just my opinion). Hope that helps good luck.
    Go back to where ever you came from, smoke a fatty, and sing Kum-Ba-Yah with Osama Bin Laden. Hopefully you will find the Communist Utopia you so desire.

Comment

Being an applicant myself, I would have to say no. If you perform well in the hiring process and have a good background, you have as good a chance as anyone. The current trend in CA seems to be testing out of state in an effort to bring more candidates into the hiring process. Me, being a CA native, this is kinda like a slap in the face, but I would never begrudge someone trying to better themselves and obtain an awesome career.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by CAleo View Post
        I don't think you could ever waste time trying to secure a position, especially if that position is law enforcement.
        I didn't mean it that way; more wondering if I was wasting my time bothering to try as an out of state if there was a strong in state preference, either officially or not.

Also, I've searched around for t-scores and such, and while I understand where my score probably sits percentile wise, the minimums that agencies will accept, etc - does anyone have an opinion of what really is a good score? It's all well and good if an agency claims that 50 is their minimum, but are they really looking for scores much higher? It just seems that with the competitive nature, they could be pretty picky.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Comment

T-Score:

A T-Score of 66.6 as you earlier stated you achieved, is good.

Police Academies in California will usually accept an applicant with a T-Score of 40 or better (not all however). The rule of thumb is, if an applicant can score a 40 or better, the applicant is likely to succeed to graduation.

Although Academies accept a 40 or better T-Score, it doesn't mean that departments will accept that score. I think I have seen a bay area department that accepted a T-Score of 45 or better. That is the lowest score I have seen that is considered the minimum passing score. However not all departments list their minimum passing score that they accept, so there could be lower scores accepted.

Typically most departments minimum accepted T-Score is usually somewhere in the high 40s to low 50s. So don't stress on the T-Score if 66.6 was in fact your score, because you did well.
          Go back to where ever you came from, smoke a fatty, and sing Kum-Ba-Yah with Osama Bin Laden. Hopefully you will find the Communist Utopia you so desire.

Comment

Speaking in response to the two agencies in CA that I have worked with during my career, the answer would be NO! There is no adverse reaction to out-of-state applicants. In fact, to bolster that is the fact that many military personnel have applied and been accepted into the testing processes without any negative considerations.

The CHP actively recruits from outside the State of CA in the hopes that they will capture the best recruit candidates from all walks of life and experience.

You should continue with the testing process for whatever agency you have a desire to join. To your benefit, the "T" score you received is in your favor. Good luck in your quest.
            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5097 users online. 287 members and 4810 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X