Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll relay the same sentiment that has been written...you'll need more time from your last incident, that's just too recent. I'd be surprised if you get picked up.

But with that, if this is truly what you want, never give up. In the meantime, get your degree and move on with your life with a career in law enforcement in mind. Everything you do affects how you look on an application/background.

On a deeper issue, take a serious look at your situation and determine if you need help with drinking.

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by kid_koala View Post
      Thank-you all for your responses. L-1, I’m sorry for the redundant posts, I’m just trying to get as much feedback as possible. This is a pivotal moment in my life.

I do not see why anyone would want to "sugar coat" or make excuses in regards to their background on this message board. It would be like cheating on an eyesight exam. The matter of the fact is that we are here to seek honest answers so that we can be forthcoming and honest when seeking employment in our chosen profession of law enforcement. Having said that, the following explanations were given too my Polygraph administer and BI:

* The one job I was fired from was because I sought out employment with a rival company. I had put in my two week notice, but once management caught wind of why I was leaving, they terminated my employment so that I did not have the option to come back. My BI investigated why I was terminated from this company, and found very little information because all previous management had been terminated from the company. Presently there is nobody there that remembers me. Termination from this job was approximately 4 years ago.

* “Seasonal” work is the only kind of full time work that is available here in my town that pays decent and offers some kind of benefits. Like me, many cannot survive around here on minimum wage. We are a town that predominantly consists of agriculture. I have worked the tomato, garlic and cotton season. Each season of employment lasts an average of 3 months. That was my explanation for why I worked for several different companies.

* In regards to my arrest for DUI when I was 25 years of age, I was out one night at my girlfriend’s friend. She lived 4 blocks from where I lived. I drove to her place and had several beers. Yes I was intoxicated but not belligerent. I decided to walk home because it was not far. As I walked home, I was stopped by the local PD. The officer that made initial contact with me said he had seen me driving earlier, and felt that I had been drinking and driving then. I did not respond to his allegations because I felt I needed no explanation. I was infuriated and was not being cooperative at all when asked to do sobriety tests. I was not drinking and driving so I did not understand why I was being treated as if I had. Perhaps he mistook my being offended as an admission of guilt. You are probably telling yourself, “This doesn’t make sense,” and you’re right, it did not make sense to the judge either. The D.A. dropped the charges.

* As for my recent public intoxication, I was not cited nor were charges pursued. I was at a restaurant with my cousin, his wife and a few friends. As we left the restaurant, my cousin’s wife was involved in an altercation. Many guys from both parties were trying to break up the fight. When the officers arrived, they took everybody to jail to deter the situation. At the jail, it was determined that it was not our parties fault so we got to leave. None the less, I was arrested.

The only feedback I got from my BI was that he honestly did not know how the captain would view my background. He did say that I showed honesty and a lot of maturity and that was a good thing.
      woah youve had alot of "issues" with the law that dont seem to be your fault...but make you look like a trouble maker. I think this might jeopardize your chances whether the dui's or arrests were your fault or not.

Comment

Join AA that will make your alcohol problems a medical one that cant be held against you if you stay sober. Throw out all the booze and swear off the stuff period.

L-1 I dont know where he was was arrested but here in the OC, jail and detox are one and the same. We dont have special detox centers. In fact the sheriffs dont arrest 647f at all. I used to take them of their hands to help them solve a problem. Most of our f' are released per 849 so its a detention not an arrest but we still take them to the jail.
        Originally posted by FJDave
        GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
        "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

10 years from the DUI conviction before any agency in my area would consider you. But it's more likely you are unhirable at the "standard" agencies. You might give it several years and put yourself through an academy and get picked up by a less desirable place to work.

In backgrounds it doesn't matter if you were convicted or not.

Comment

Thank-you all for your advice, it is greatly appreciated. I will take all the advice I have been given and plan accordingly.

nobodyjr, in my area, multiple DUI's will almost surely DQ an applicant. However, in my area, there is a big difference between arrest and conviction. Also, a person can be hired with 1 DUI as long as he is off probation assuming there are no other major issues. So potentially, someone can be hired within 4 years of there DUI arrest. When I attended a local police academy in 2001, one of my fellow cadets was hired straight out of the academy and he was still on alcohol probation from a previous DUI. Of course this is a very rare exception but none the less, possible. I spoke with an LAPD background investigator and he told me as long as 7 years had elapsed since my DUI, I would be considered, pending of course there are no other major issues. 10 years from DUI conviction, that's pretty harsh and I don' know any agency within 100 miles from where I live that has set the bar that high. I thank-you for your response.

Comment

sorry, double posted
              Last edited by kid_koala; 09-06-2008, 05:56 AM.

Comment

When I attended a local police academy in 2001
                Wait a tick. You already went to a Basic POST academy?

Comment

Despite two DUI arrests/detentions, one DUI conviction, and a drunk in public arrest/detention, do you still drink alcohol?
                  "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                    Despite two DUI arrests/detentions, one DUI conviction, and a drunk in public arrest/detention, do you still drink alcohol?
                    Helllllllloooo? Is this thing on?

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Sorry for the delay Kieth M., I have been out of town for the past week. To answer your question, since I have started the application process with my first agency about 5 months ago, I have not consumed any alcohol. I work and go too school full time.

Comment

Did your one DUI conviction result in any time spent in 12 step meetings, or other substance abuse counseling/education?

Comment

Kieth M., the DUI in 2002 did result in a 6 month DUI program that contained 12 step meetings, group counseling sessions and alcohol education calsses.

Comment

Hey Kid,

As long as you take full responsibility for the actions you committed and learn from the past, you should be okay in the long run. Heck, who doesn't make mistakes? No mistakes = No learning experiences. However, your past experience is pretty recent. I recommend volunteering your time to a church or interning for the department you wish to seek employment with; that way you get to talk to different officers and detectives and perhaps get your name out there. Add more mitigating factors to your resume so that in review a reasonable hiring committee will accept you.

Comment

Thank-you all for your advice, it is greatly appreciated. I will take all the advice I have been given and plan accordingly.

nobodyjr, in my area, multiple DUI's will almost surely DQ an applicant. However, in my area, there is a big difference between arrest and conviction. Also, a person can be hired with 1 DUI as long as he is off probation assuming there are no other major issues. So potentially, someone can be hired within 4 years of there DUI arrest. When I attended a local police academy in 2001, one of my fellow cadets was hired straight out of the academy and he was still on alcohol probation from a previous DUI. Of course this is a very rare exception but none the less, possible. I spoke with an LAPD background investigator and he told me as long as 7 years had elapsed since my DUI, I would be considered, pending of course there are no other major issues. 10 years from DUI conviction, that's pretty harsh and I don' know any agency within 100 miles from where I live that has set the bar that high. I thank-you for your response.
                              Kid,

Did you finish a POST Academy? It sounded like it from your previous post...
                              Last edited by avalon42; 09-24-2008, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Kieth M., the DUI in 2002 did result in a 6 month DUI program that contained 12 step meetings, group counseling sessions and alcohol education calsses.
                                And what, if sanything, did you learn about yourself?

Did you hear anyone in those meetings tell "your story" in regards to what impact alcohol has on your life?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5672 users online. 353 members and 5319 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X