Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compton Police Department, the second coming?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
    I dont.....I WANT to live in a LASD area.....lived in LA City for several years....will NEVER live there again......

It wont happen for the same reasons I just gave on the Compton issue.....
    ditto- had the "unique" opportunity to also live in SCV as "CCT"( )- the LASD can and does provide very good service in the area ,while pandering to the typical "suburban whiners"- with an SCVPD , you'd have too many civies trying to gain influence over the Dept ,plus they'd also balk at OT costs, complain about just about anything 'cause they CANmcan call for every coyote draggin' kitty away......
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by PaperWriter View Post
      That is a very good point but, why wouldn't Compton PD, being within LAPD get that mutual aid when they asked for it anyway. I work for a municipal PD in LA County and we get whatever we need from you guys when we ask for it as part of mutual aid. So why wouldn't Compton receive the same?
      First off - its the sole responsibility of the L.A county Sheriff to provide the min. police services for the entire county, which is WHY they will come- no matter how far they have to reach out for Deps- to fulfill the M/A .but I can tell you this- LAPD doesn't do mutual aid as well as you think- you call them -THEY ARE IN CHARGE and will elect as to when and where they deploy,or IF they deploy. LASD coordinates the M/A anyway in the county. LAPD ,if they can spare the resources, will send officers, but not that often unless the world is coming down. I know for a fact that my Dept and EVERYBODY in the so.Bay,including LASD- Century,LASD-compton, LASD-TSB,LASD-Marina rolled to the OIS in el Segundo PD when a former partner of mine and his Lt got shot by a gangmember-LAPD, as vaunted as they are, were the very last there ,and the very LEAST interested in getting involved in anything OUTSIDE the City of L.A. you also have to sign M/A agreement pacts,which means that if there was a regional emergency , the Sheriff could activiate your unit and request resources from your Dept- in 20 + yrs of workin for the city of L.A. ,I've rarely seen LAPD roll to assist an outside L.A. county dept that doesn't immediately border the city.

See that's funny because an LASD admin guy told me almost the exact opposite. He told me that the municipal PD's do not get billed for the help request because it is "mutual aid" (excluding special circumstances) where as LASD contract cities are the ones who get billed for the "extras" they request (Lawndale for example). In fact I'm almost sure of this because Hawthorne PD has an airship and we are told not to request it because we LASD's for free where as we pay something like $650 every 15min for theirs.
      Nope- you get billed- saw the LAPD bill for their 9/11 deployment to "assist" my dept- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

DOACOP if you read anything after the post that you quoted me, you'll notice that the LAPD thing was a typo, so everything you've just said really doesn't apply. My mistake, but I think the LASD to municipal county agency relation is quite different from the LAPD to LAXPD relationship...apples to oranges.
        "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." -President Ronald Reagan

Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Comment

Yeah....you did say LAPD....thats why I was scratching my head over that.....no worries.....

Yup....Compton still has their FD.....I havent really heard anything about LACFD trying to take them over.......Inglewood is the exact opposite....they have their own PD, but use LACFD......
          Yeah small world, I went through that with my step-father, who went from being an Inglewood FF to an LACO FF. They fought for that for many years, with the corrupt Mayor Dorn, and they were more than happy to go county.
          "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." -President Ronald Reagan

Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
            ditto- had the "unique" opportunity to also live in SCV as "CCT"( )- the LASD can and does provide very good service in the area ,while pandering to the typical "suburban whiners"- with an SCVPD , you'd have too many civies trying to gain influence over the Dept ,plus they'd also balk at OT costs, complain about just about anything 'cause they CANmcan call for every coyote draggin' kitty away......
            I have to say some of the deps I have run into in SCV...Dbags! You would think the used to work for CHP!

Comment

Originally posted by LAschoolCop View Post
              I have to say some of the deps I have run into in SCV...Dbags! You would think the used to work for CHP!
              Trust me.....lots of us that are ON LASD agree with you.....

The main 'problem child' aka 'deputy wearing tan pants w/blue stripe' recently retired from his traffic car.....maybe things will get a bit better now.....
              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

The main 'problem child' aka 'deputy wearing tan pants w/blue stripe' recently retired from his traffic car.....maybe things will get a bit better now.....
                LOL I know him well...he cited my wife

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
                  Just talked about it to some former and current compton guys-LBPD patrolling Compton?????? Maybe you don't remember( or are too young to ) but LASD patrolled the NORTH part of Long Beach because they -LBPD,couldn't get the "job done" in the mid '90s; currently they barely patrol the north part of their city to this day,and its the frequently "poaching" LASD from station 28 that keeps the north LBC knuckleheads under control !!!
                  Sorry but ...no. Yes, LASD patroled NLB when they had that contract which was a result of the LBPD Chief being from LAPD, and bringing the LAPD morale with him. LBPD was down to 450 cops. It's now hovering at 1000.

NLB is taken care of quite well by LBPD, to the point that it's gotten to be somewhat "slow" compared to times past. When I was assigned there for three months on training in 2006, I saw one Dep. while I was working and that was when we went to Compton to drop off a wayward juve. Saying that LBPD barely patrol's NLB is flat out inaccurate as well as a bit offensive DOA. LASD keeping NLB under control? Please......

Comment

That's funny. I had a experience with him when I was a new Dep at Wayside. As far as Compton goes. There are also other benefits with our dept. Compton is pretty much surrounded by LASD. There are always other Deps from other stations that are in the area. When a hot call or assistance request occurs, several Deps respond without having to be asked. Either on the same frequency or involved Deps adding them to the freq. So there are always more black/whites visible in the area. There are several other cities that are surrounded by LASD. Would make it alot easier if they merged. Would be better service. Just logistically better.

Comment

Originally posted by LAschoolCop View Post
                      LOL I know him well...he cited my wife
                      Hey, mine too! Wow, I didn't know it was that common. I figured he was just having a bad day.
                      "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

The local paper, "The Signal" even went so far as to announce his retirment and have the recollections of people over the years that have been cited by him.
                        There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with.
                        William Halsey

Comment

Good luck

Just to add my observations. Eric Perridin still has ambitions of bringing CPD back. How I don't know. He works in my courthouse as a DA along with a few Deps who were past CPD. I recently heard him saying that being mayor of Compton is his part time job and working as a DDA is his full time job.

The guy is great to listen to, telling it like it is to the custodies and their families. Some of his familiar quotes (on the record) include the following;

(to a male trustie busted for possession) "You' re kinda cute!" male trustie smiles at the compliment. Eric responds "you're gonna become somebody's bitch in county jail."

to another drug offender; "those are nice shoes, take them off and give them to me" defendant smiles, thinks its funny and hands them over. Eric then goes on explaining how life is for the weak in County and how he won't survive.

black male arrested for a 211PC with a fake gun, "your lucky you didn't get shot, if I was still a cop I would have shot you."

"If there is one thing I hate its people that run from the cops"

I think his heart is in the right place, but he is fighting a very steep uphill battle.

Saw a bootleg video recently made by some Compton Crips bragging on how they ran CPD out of town and how the Compton Deps don't mess around... they don't run.
                          Last edited by buffalo; 09-04-2008, 09:48 PM. Reason: spellcheck

Comment

Originally posted by PaperWriter View Post
                            This is all true, and by no means I am saying I have "experience" as an LEO there or know what it takes to be an LEO there. But I did grow up in that city, my father even was even partnered with Eric for a long period of time and I remember him (and about 10 others) leaving the city and department after Kevin and James died. So am I qualified to talk about running a LE agency in the city absolutely not but I do think under the circumstances I have a closer ear on the city than most. I have not lived there in 10 years but it is my home city so there is some sentiment involved. I am not saying it will happen tomorrow or anytime soon, as DOAcop said in "this" economy, I just wanted t "wax" over why it could happen and what would need to happen. Compton was horrible but it isn't nearly as bad as it used to be, not close.

I'm in no way offended and I can guarantee you that my skin is quite thick, though not sworn I work in LE and grew up in an LE family. I am sure DAOcop is a very knowledgeable veteran with lots of experience and information t share...I have learned much from his posts and I thank him, that is evident. However that does not mean that I do not have any experience or knowledge, albeit less, and I will nt cowtow to him simply because he has posted more than I have. I'm not bitter and I don't hold grudges, my hope is that he is mature enough to feel the same. If the topic I want to talk about seems moot to him or a pipe dream he is welcome not to participate but why impede on others want to do so?
                            Fair enough...welcome to the forum
                            Well...Bye

Comment

Thanks, so far I'm just reading the forum is larger than I thought. Getting info and "views" as it likely appears I will not be a CSO much longer, in backgrounds with 3 places for a sworn position.
                              Last edited by PaperWriter; 09-04-2008, 11:01 PM. Reason: additional inf

Comment

Yeah....you did say LAPD....thats why I was scratching my head over that.....no worries.....

Yup....Compton still has their FD.....I havent really heard anything about LACFD trying to take them over.......Inglewood is the exact opposite....they have their own PD, but use LACFD......
                                Compton wanted that merger too, but LACFD wouldn't agree to hire the CFD firefighters.
                                Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                                Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2650 users online. 184 members and 2466 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X