Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compton Police Department, the second coming?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compton Police Department, the second coming?

Anyone else heard the rumors that hub city may be getting their own municipal PD again? What do you think about it?
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." -President Ronald Reagan

Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

My neighbor, who is retired Compton, has been talking about this subject recently. I suppose only time will tell.
    "That's the problem with people like you, George. You want results but you never want to get your hands dirty." - Jack Bauer

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."
    - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

i have also heard this. i also heard the city bought a large fleet of dodge chargers, which some were used for other city depts. while a large portion of them are sitting in a parking lot. i will believe it when i see it, but it makes you wonder...

Comment

We've always heard rumors. However, the city is very happy with LASD. As far as citizens goes. The city gets more services than it could ever afford for free. We saturate that stations area with more Deps than they would ever pay for. Not to mention all the specialized units.

Comment

Originally posted by Five-0fromSoCal View Post
          We've always heard rumors. However, the city is very happy with LASD. As far as citizens goes. The city gets more services than it could ever afford for free. We saturate that stations area with more Deps than they would ever pay for. Not to mention all the specialized units.
          +1 !!! Hourie "the Ho' " Taylor and his ilk are licking their chops, while some malcontents sitting over at Compton USD PD are under the delusion that it will happen- Eric Perrodin would make a BIG mistake if he tried to re-start that Dept;it died a natural death after being missued, poorly equipped and ill managed by scum like Mayor Omar "Gangsta" Bradley-Compton PD would have to literally start from the bottom up- new officers, new management and a REAL budget- you'd have to pay the officers ,min. $60K to $80K/yr just even get decent qualified applicants,and thats NOT counting the millions $$$$ they'd have to spend in vehicles, and equip and a new facility just to even get them on the street- compton doesn't have that $$$ to do it, and Perrodin and others would only interfere with the dept....
          "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

I don't know if it's feasible or not, money would certainly be the selling point or lack there of but if anyone can do it, it is Eric Perrodin. If there is a new PD I wouldn't want anyones hand in the pot other than his. According to some of the LASD guys I have talked to, the city has contracts in the finishing phases which will start to erode the LASD contract, one of which gives money to LBPD to start patrolling the S/E parts of Compton while they make the switch. It will be an interesting topic at the 90220 PD reunion in Vegas this year.
            "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." -President Ronald Reagan

Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Comment

Exactly, I think it's a pipe dream. The dept. was dissolved for a reason and that's not even getting into the fiscal issues. As much as my neighbor rants about him and the boys being hot feces, any LEO I've ever spoken with will say otherwise.
              "That's the problem with people like you, George. You want results but you never want to get your hands dirty." - Jack Bauer

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."
              - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I would love to hear ex-Compton Cop's thoughts on this.

Standing by...

Comment

That's funny my experience with LEO's who have worked with him have always thought of him favorably, he's been a stand up guy for as long as I have known him (including when he was a LEO).

Comment

Originally posted by PaperWriter View Post
                    I don't know if it's feasible or not, money would certainly be the selling point or lack there of but if anyone can do it, it is Eric Perrodin. If there is a new PD I wouldn't want anyones hand in the pot other than his. According to some of the LASD guys I have talked to, the city has contracts in the finishing phases which will start to erode the LASD contract, one of which gives money to LBPD to start patrolling the S/E parts of Compton while they make the switch. It will be an interesting topic at the 90220 PD reunion in Vegas this year.
                    Just talked about it to some former and current compton guys-LBPD patrolling Compton?????? Maybe you don't remember( or are too young to ) but LASD patrolled the NORTH part of Long Beach because they -LBPD,couldn't get the "job done" in the mid '90s; currently they barely patrol the north part of their city to this day,and its the frequently "poaching" LASD from station 28 that keeps the north LBC knuckleheads under control !!! there will be some crap talking and hemming and hawing ,but in the end - LASD-compton will still be there.reforming compton PD will only end up with the same old band of crumb bums running the show and ,you'll get NONE of the good hard chargers from the past returning to rebuild the dept.It will be the same" thats my cousin,he ain't going to jail" folks riding around in uniform,and -like Maywood PD, we'll see another headache dept .As it stands now, people were happy as all get up when LASD "officially " took to the streets of compton( they always prowled Compton from nearby Carson and firestone, then later Century stations)- know this for a FACt 'cause I saw people smiling when they saw the "tan and greens " coming to a call ( rode with my LASD buds when they first took the city over)
                    Last edited by DOAcop38; 09-03-2008, 11:12 PM.
                    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

I saw two unbelievable things when I first got to Compton as a station detective when we first got the contract. I saw a lobby with rows of seats bolted to the floor and a "Now Serving #" sign in the lobby. I thought holly cow these guys must be really busy.

Then I found out the truth. The local citizens were amazed when they showed up at the station to file a police report and we told them to go home so we could send them a unit to their house. Prior to us taking over they had to file all their reports at the station. We on the other hand would rather keep the units in the field and will come to you.

I think a lot of people want a PD for civic pride. But the majority of down to earth people want the best possible law enforcement for the buck, that's why LASD will stay in Compton.
                      Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
                        Just talked about it to some former and current compton guys-LBPD patrolling Compton?????? Maybe you don't remember( or are too young to ) but LASD patrolled the NORTH part of Long Beach because they -LBPD,couldn't get the "job done" in the mid '90s; currently they barely patrol the north part of their city to this day,and its the frequently "poaching" LASD from station 28 that keeps the north LBC knuckleheads under control !!! there will be some crap talking and hemming and hawing ,but in the end - LASD-compton will still be there.reforming compton PD will only end up with the same old band of crumb bums running the show and ,you'll get NONE of the good hard chargers from the past returning to rebuild the dept.It will be the same" thats my cousin,he ain't going to jail" folks riding around in uniform,and -like Maywood PD, we'll see another headache dept .As it stands now, people were happy as all get up when LASD "officially " took to the streets of compton( they always prowled Compton from nearby Carson and firestone, then later Century stations)- know this for a FACt 'cause I saw people smiling when they saw the "tan and greens " coming to a call ( rode with my LASD buds when they first took the city over)
                        I don't think this has anything to do with my age as my sources are not from myself, so I'll kindly ask you not to take that into consideration or question it as I'm just trying to have a civil discussion and not demean anyones personality or opinion. I'll admit that I am slightly bias when it comes to municipal PD's VS the "big guys" but I think you're unfairly generalizing the base of old Compton LEO's, many lateraled out before the switch and are still productive and moral members of many other LE agencies to this day. As far as Long Beach in Compton, you're right I haven't looked into the "old" relationships I have only mentioned what has been said in front of me by those from the source and close to it. I'm not looking for a debate or to have my personality attacked, since I clearly stated this was all hearsay and in the rumor stage still.

Comment

Where did I "once" attack you,PaperWriter????? I merely pointed out what you may not have known ( or had the priviledge of seeing),and for what its worth- Compton has NEVER been a "small town"- today ,they are around/near 110K and were between 75,000 to 100K people for many yrs. Compton PD was on my short list when I got into L.E. over 20 yrs ago ! But as time went on, CPTs police force was showing the wear of a corrupt civic leadership, lack of funds and drain of experienced officers lateralling out! Many good officers loved Compton PD but saw the writing on the wall and knew they had to go elsewhere; theres a sgt working West Bureau LAPD who was once CPD,so yes- plenty of fine officers are still out there with compton creds.Having lived in compton when I was a teenager ( across from those ANIMALS, "Country",eerrr "Buntry Al",his family, and the Leuders Park Bloods) I personally watched the city decline into murder and miseryin the '80s and '90s,and I also was privy to civilian opinions of ,as well as watching personally, the failing compton PD services.

By 1997 ,Compton PD was a mere shell of itself, pay was low and morale was bad. when the 2000 merger was in process, I watched as nearly 2 dozen officers strolled into my station and applied for my dept. Most were true credits to L.E. but some were POS with attitudes that amazed us that any agency would pin a badge on their chests !!!!! Even MRDEP can tell you that the station they had was decrepit, most of their radio equip and cars was worn out or didn't work,and the only thing CPD officers (who later became deps or retired,or lateralled out) were working on was pure pride alone.When Burrell and MacDonald were murdered, people got to see just how savage the city had become for cops,and the biggie Smalls/tupac killings should just how virulent and out of control the gang culture had become in Compton .'"hub city" has more gangs per square block than most cities have per square mile, and alot of that violence went unabated until LASD rode into town. I know for a FACT my dept couldn't handle that type of crime,nor could any of these local tawny South bay/ Beach cities PDs, who get away with crap talking to a drunk or being tough to a sickly meth head thief and "think" they are kick butt coppers!

today Compton is doing better, slowly,but surely- businesses that you'd never see in the past are coming in.People are still buying homes in compton( a city that always prided itself for its high percentage of home owners compared to other local cities),but alot of that is because of LASD involvement in the community. Sorry, a "new" compton PD would have to be just that- a NEW Compton PD; they'd have to hit the streets running at redline,just to make the impact needed to control a deeply entrenched gang culture and mind numbing violent crime, that I doubt even the toughest cops in LAPDs south end divisions could handle. Perrodin would have to hire a nearly Daryl Gates or Ted Cooke type of chief,and would have to spend $$$$ bucks to attract top notch candidates and be virtually "hands off"- thats just not going to happen,especially in this economy......
                          Last edited by DOAcop38; 09-04-2008, 02:32 AM.

Comment

I don't know why you are so defensive or boisterous that you won't even entertain the idea (why even post?) but for the record I was born in Compton and my father was an LEO there far before you considered applying 20 years ago so I'm not talking out of inexperience, lets make that clear. It sounds like you have a strong bias against many other police departments and LEO's that don't fit your elitist mold (from yur comment about South Bay agencies) so there isn't much point in having a "what-if" or civil conversation with some like you. I'm sorry to have invoked such strong sentiment from you and if you're offended it certainly was not my attention, have a nice day. For the record I knew Burrel and Macdonald so please don't lecture me about how bad Compton was/is, I know first hand.
                            Last edited by PaperWriter; 09-04-2008, 01:33 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

okay - I give up, and like Obama ,I'm an "elitest", or I'm "boisterous", or I have a low opinion of other depts- yeah sure, yaddayadda ,yadda. I don't think you even bothered to READ anything I posted ( or else you'd have "noticed" I commmented that neither MY dept,nor any of the other area Beach city depts could hang with what compton PD and later LASD -Compton had to deal with)- that NOT talking crap, its reality ! and IF you grew up in the CPT, you'd know exactly the TRUTH that things didn't turn around until CLOWNS and CRIMINALS like Mayor Bradley, councilman "Ahmen Rahh" and a few others were thrown in jail.( these fools actually hired "wanted " gang members to serve as security at public meetings! this helped the gang members ID people who complained about them,and compton PD was "powerless to do anything about it")

The worst was the "race card" throwing, but grossly inefficient school board !!! Remember Brett Mitchells dealership over in the vacant and eye sore that was once the compton auto square? (across from decrepit compton college) funded by money laundering with comptons' ELITE dipping their dirty paws in the well of corruption.and lets not get on the subject of yrs of mismanagement,and $$$$ embezzellment of Compton city College itself- UNTIL suburban el Camino college in torrance had to step in and clean it up.thats the kind of stuff that is "inspired" by a L.E. agency that can and has the POWER to effect change- people discover "hope" and corruption tends to slide into the darkness,cause they KNOW somebody,even a public official , will go to jail !!! There are cities in tawny parts of Orange county that wish they could have their own PD- but even they know its NOT possible due to liability and the high maintenance cost.Even local agencies like Hermosa Bch PD and Gardena PD "thought" about disbanding and going to LASD when they were in the financial red.Any discussion of a reformed Compton PD is academic only- the $$ isn't there ,and arguing or even debating it is moot! sorry if i hurt your feelings,but if you stay in this field long enough ,you'll toughen up when you see "reality".......
                              Last edited by DOAcop38; 09-04-2008, 03:52 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4607 users online. 301 members and 4306 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X