300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polygraph Jitters screwed me

Well it happened today..First off I want to say the department Im in the process for, so far has been the most professional people and the most understaing people I have delt.

For the past week I have been real nervous about this whole part, not because I have something to hide but this has been a first time I have had to take a polygraph exam..I got hooked up the machine and my anxiety levels went through the roof and could not get any type of reading and this was just within the first five to ten minutes. He tried the process over two more times with the same same reaction from me. Naturally this means I'm hiding something, and was given the opportunity to lay it all out to the deputy who was administering the exa. But I had nothing to add only gave what seemed like excuses to him about me being nervous and it was hot. Which is clearly understandable since he has heard every excuse in the book..I know my past is not the best especially during my college years but it has still gotten me this far..I dont know what else to say but be ready for the next one since it will be my last chance with this deparmtent..

Anybody want to offer me any tips, etc feel free to reply to this thread or send me a pm.

Many people spike on their first poly. You should do much better on your second. For what it's worth, I know several people on my Dept. that failed the first one and passed the 2nd. They all have told me the 2nd was easier.

It is stressful going through a foriegn process. Just try to relax, and make sure you explain your concerns to the polygrapher before you start the next one. You should be fine.
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

Thanks for the words SoCalSheriff, I was really worked up over this. I really think my next one will go well, now that I got a feel for it.

Comment

i made a big deal out of mine, but got through it. you're probably just nervous because you don't know if the poly is going to see you as just nervous, or as deceptive. just relax, the format of the test (at least the one i took) is one where you get to talk about the details of the question and your answer before they hook you up. as far as your past goes, i promise you there are people with worse histories than you that made it. i found that out when i started the academy. you'll be fine.

Comment

Thanks biochembruin.. I was really nervous but he took it as deceptive. I never would of thought this part of the test phase would made me react to it the way I did. Im my own worst enemy, but will do my best on the next one, now I know what to expect first hand.

Comment

I remember taking my first polygraph while being so nervous. It is so difficult to be calm. Just show conviction with your answers. My examiner informed that I was showing deception on certain questions. He asked me if there was anything which I have not disclosed yet.I never changed my answers no matter how many times he asked. He said that based on the results I failed the polygraph. We both went to see my background investigator however she was not there. I know the examiner had my file with the results with him.My examiner shook my hand and told me good luck. Within thirty minutes I receive a call from my background investigator informing me that I passed.My understanding(but correct me if I am wrong) is that the polygraph examiner only forwards the results but does not determine if you continue with the hiring process. I hope everything goes well.

Comment

Yeah don't focus on the "big picture" or anything. Just focus on being calm, and just be confident that you're answering honestly and everything should be okay. That's all you can do anyways, right? Do not read anything about how polygraphs work, it will just add another element of self-sabotage in your head.

I haven't applied yet, but I have taken a poly because of a 211 that happened at the bank that I work at. Initially I was pretty nervous. The person administering the test had to remind me to breath. . However, I just focused on being calm and I was confident my honesty would reflect in the test results. After it was reviewed they didn't say much but I could tell by the deputy's demeanor that I passed. A few days later I heard that I passed flawlessly, so that was a huge relief.

You should do well! I hope that you do!
              "That's the problem with people like you, George. You want results but you never want to get your hands dirty." - Jack Bauer

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."
              - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Natural--Im not sure how it works everywhere else but from what the deputy told me was he would pass or fail me.

Thanks guys!
                Last edited by srt-krs; 09-03-2008, 12:00 AM.

Comment

It is natural to be nervous, especially your first poly, and they do take this into consideration. With that said, you mentioned, " school years", you alluded to the readers or atleast me, that maybe there is something their? If that is the case and you are not mentioning it, maybe this is creating your anxiety. If it is too the point to where you cant get past a poly b/c you are to nervous, maybe I would suggest if you havent done so already, discuss it with your b/i! What dept. are you processing with?

Comment

davjon14, Im in the process with Los Angeles Sheriff Department.

Comment

A buddy and I both took 2nd Polys with RSO and passed, don't stress, its easier the second time around. You'll know what to expect. Good Luck.
                      BORDER PATROL [/COLOR][/I][/U]- WRITTEN PASSED 2/12 ORAL PASSED 2/16
                      B/I Packet Turned in 2/24,
                      Med/Physical/Drug Screen Passed 3/13/09
                      B/I Interview+Quals Complete and Report sent 4-22-09, 5-7-09 SENT TO TSU

EOD 10-5-09
                      For those who want to win there is never enough time to train

Comment

Thanks man, I do feel more relaxed about the second one now.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4629 users online. 283 members and 4346 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X