300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAR BAG (Hitting the Streets)

I was wondering If I could get some advise on what to have in my war bag when I hit the streets in two weeks. Also what are some good things to know or do when I'm with my TO. Thanks

Also Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks

forms (i try to make packets ie booking papers, dui, other arrest, d/v, t/c etc), pocket mask, batteries for your various tools/toys, aspirin, chapstick, powerbars, paperclips, extra flashlight.

always know where you are. don't be a doofus on the radio.

Comment

I would set up a seperate file box for forms. In addition to the stuff above, I would get a binder to keep all the handouts your FTO will give you, a few extra magazines, extra pair of cuffs and a full penal and vehicle code book. You want to be prepared and have the resources to find the answers you don't know. I also have a shaving type bag that I keep my fingerprinting kit in (keeps mess contained). Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by leif View Post
        forms (i try to make packets ie booking papers, dui, other arrest, d/v, t/c etc), pocket mask, batteries for your various tools/toys, aspirin, chapstick, powerbars, paperclips, extra flashlight.

always know where you are. don't be a doofus on the radio.
        Thanks, I'll make sure I'm good on those things.

Comment

Originally posted by FPD GUY View Post
          I would set up a seperate file box for forms. In addition to the stuff above, I would get a binder to keep all the handouts your FTO will give you, a few extra magazines, extra pair of cuffs and a full penal and vehicle code book. You want to be prepared and have the resources to find the answers you don't know. I also have a shaving type bag that I keep my fingerprinting kit in (keeps mess contained). Good luck.
          Thanks for the advise I'll do that.

Comment

let's see...i'd probably wait until you get on training since you're FTO will probably tell you what to get and what not to get. but in mine, i have pencils, lots of erasers (yes we write reports by hand usually, and new guys have to write in pencil), highlighters, a file box (like most people have stated) with all the necessary forms, a medium posse box, clipboard, cuffs, magazine/ammo, full penal/vehicle code, flashlight, aspirin, hand sanitizer, spitsock, PR24 baton, batteries, light bulb, citation book, thomas guide, thin notebook (for old reports, brochures)... hmm hope i didn't forget anything. and then another bag for our riot helmet, ballistic helmet, flexcuffs, raingear...

Comment

There was once a saying in a division I worked, "If Kieth M. doesn't have it in his bag, then you don't need it." Some things I carried that I noticed others did, normally, not:

Roll of duct tape.

Black Sharpie felt pen.

Small pair of bolt cutters.

Pair of pliers which will also cut through heavy wire.

Small pry-tool....I have one which also has the turn-offs for natural gas & water.

Multi-tool like a screwdriver handle with mutliple heads.

20 to 30 ft length of webbing material with a carabiner attached - used for securing doors that open to the inside, and you don't want someone coming out, or lifting/lowering items.
              "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

nitrile gloves ftw...because people are nasty

Comment

Another vote for disposable gloves. I'd make sure to have some puncture resistant leather/synthetic gloves (not sure if they're standard issue or not). The last thing I'd want is to catch HIV or something else from a junkie.
                  "That's the problem with people like you, George. You want results but you never want to get your hands dirty." - Jack Bauer

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."
                  - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Plenty of snacks!

Comment

i would wait and talk to your FTO, and some of the other new officers at your station to see what they have. i've been out on the streets for only a couple of months now, but when i left the academy, there were all kinds of lists of stuff we needed. my TO said half of it was crap.

i have a file folder with almost every form we have. gloves, helmet, snacks, asprin, mags, stuff like that. there are PC cheaters that are good to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackavar
                        I have a file folder box for my forms.

I have a war bag for long call outs. This bag has my hazmat suit/mask, water, power bars, warm gloves, sunscreen, cap, riot helmet and ten loaded magazines.

I have a smaller war bag that is more of a utility bag. In it I have lots of latex gloves, pens, pencils, white out, multi tool, flashlights (more than one), batteries for my belt flashlight, batteries for my PVS mic, stuffed animals I buy at Khols (for distraught kids, they work wonders).

I'm a non-retired version of Keith M.
                        Those all sound like very good things to have, but I don't know if my FTO will allow me to have stuffed animals but that would be pretty cool if I could.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                          There was once a saying in a division I worked, "If Kieth M. doesn't have it in his bag, then you don't need it." Some things I carried that I noticed others did, normally, not:

Roll of duct tape.

Black Sharpie felt pen.

Small pair of bolt cutters.

Pair of pliers which will also cut through heavy wire.

Small pry-tool....I have one which also has the turn-offs for natural gas & water.

Multi-tool like a screwdriver handle with mutliple heads.

20 to 30 ft length of webbing material with a carabiner attached - used for securing doors that open to the inside, and you don't want someone coming out, or lifting/lowering items.
                          I think I might have to keep some room clear for my TO's stuff, but If I could I would have all of those things in my bag.

Comment

Stuff

All of the items are good...in addition have a good belt mounted flashlight...if you have a weapons mounted light it still will not hurt to have a surefire,pelican or something that you can carry on your belt. It comes in handy on days....yes you will need a flashlight even on days. If you are gonna be with an fto then obviously space wil be limited up front. buy an acordian folder for your forms, a leatherman tool, and a cheap clipboard. Don t worry about a posse box, get a cheap clipboard that you can put your court dates on, info for tow reports even codes for your most common cites. Figure out where you can put it in the car and safely reach it. Once you figure it out keep it there once you no longer have an FTO. If you made it through FTO with nothing in your passenger seat but your FTO's butt why do you have to put a million suitcases, camelbacks, your spare batteries, your extra ammo, the ice chest, your box of flexcuffs, your specially engraved pair of handcuffs handed down to you that your grandfather "personally" put on John Dilllingerr, and all of the stuff you leave exposed and unsecured if you have to run after somebody. Keep your passenger seat empty when you are released. If you are the second or third unit on a high risk stop where are you supposed to go??? One of your squadmates gets into a foot pursuit and is separated from his vehicle, when you drive along and tell him to hop in, does he hop in the backseat and get locked in after he clicks the door when you go over the first speed bump. If you have a rifle of shotgun mounted in the car outstanding....if you have to secure it in the trunk it is back there with the rest of the stuff you will need when circumstances arent so dire....just a thought. I apologize for the rant, when I was an FTO nothing irked me more than my trainee coming to work looking like his old lady kicked him out of the house....again.
                            You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

Originally posted by cityblusuit View Post
                              ... when I was an FTO nothing irked me more than my trainee coming to work looking like his old lady kicked him out of the house....again.
                              lol!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5385 users online. 307 members and 5078 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X