300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sfpd

Hey everyone! I'm flying out to San Fransisco (from NY) mid-September to take the SFPD exam. I've missed the tests for the departments in my area or, as with NYPD, the pay is so low that I have little incentive to pursue a career in the department - though, btw, I will test for the NYPD in October anyhow.

From what I've been able to find out online, the SFPD pays really well (comparably) and offers great career potential.

If there's any advice or suggestions you guys can give me to help me though the application process out West, I'd appreciate it. Also, this may be a stupid question, but - does SFPD pay their recruits while they train? - And does the Department pay for training? While the SFPD site has been helpful, it doesn't answer all of my questions.

I'm a 28 yo law school graduate just looking to make a move out West into a career I will enjoy. . . advice?

Originally posted by judgeposer View Post
    Hey everyone! I'm flying out to San Fransisco (from NY) mid-September to take the SFPD exam. I've missed the tests for the departments in my area or, as with NYPD, the pay is so low that I have little incentive to pursue a career in the department - though, btw, I will test for the NYPD in October anyhow.

From what I've been able to find out online, the SFPD pays really well (comparably) and offers great career potential.

If there's any advice or suggestions you guys can give me to help me though the application process out West, I'd appreciate it. Also, this may be a stupid question, but - does SFPD pay their recruits while they train? - And does the Department pay for training? While the SFPD site has been helpful, it doesn't answer all of my questions.

I'm a 28 yo law school graduate just looking to make a move out West into a career I will enjoy. . . advice?
    SFPD pays recruits $36.47/hour while in the academy. The training is provided for free upon acceptance into our academy.

Top step officer makes approximately $50/hour. At the end of the contract, a top step officer will make approximately $55/hour.

For further info, visit the site below:

http://sfbayareacops.proboards62.com

Comment

CA COP how do you like working for SFPD? It seems like a solid department with excellent benefits, but a little insight from someone working there would be great!

Comment

Originally posted by archercapt32 View Post
        CA COP how do you like working for SFPD? It seems like a solid department with excellent benefits, but a little insight from someone working there would be great!
        I agree. Insight, please!
        *Not an LEO (yet), just working on my Bachelor's Degree while being a Volunteer in Police Service (VIPS) at my local PD.

Comment

Have you considered any departments in SoCal that are hiring a bunch? Such as LAPD or SDPD? While the pay is not as high as the Northern CA departments, SoCal is Beautiful as well and has a rather different vibe than Norcal (which may be a good thing or a bad thing for you personally).

I personally prefer Socal and I was blessed enough to be processed and called for SDPD rather quickly. Like yourself, I am from LI NY as well and I can't wait to move back out to the left coast. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. Regardless of your choice CA is a beautiful state that is hiring a ton of officers.

- Godspeed
          "We have nothing to fear but fear itself"

Comment

bump.

In somewhat related news, I took the LAPD's online PBA and it disqualified me from the accelerated hiring program because of financial issues - when I don't have any! I think I may have either input the wrong information or something's messed up with their site. Either way, what are everyone's suggestions for getting this cleared up? - I've already sent an e-mail, but I don't have much hope it resolving it that way.

Comment

Something to think about is WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO LIVE????
              This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

bump.

In somewhat related news, I took the LAPD's online PBA and it disqualified me from the accelerated hiring program because of financial issues - when I don't have any! I think I may have either input the wrong information or something's messed up with their site. Either way, what are everyone's suggestions for getting this cleared up? - I've already sent an e-mail, but I don't have much hope it resolving it that way.
                i've heard of this invention called the telephone. I know its new technology but it might be worth looking into.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                  Something to think about is WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO LIVE????
                  True! I have family throughout California and have visited at least once, but sometimes twice or three times every year since I was young. I'm familiar enough with SF, SD and Sacramento to be comfortable making the move. If you've got some suggestions on neighborhoods, I'm interested though. I went to college in New York City, and have lived in urban, suburban, and rural areas of a few states. . .so, I'm not terribly picky or unacquainted with those settings - though, I'd prefer a younger, upcoming area.

Comment

Originally posted by leif View Post
                    i've heard of this invention called the telephone. I know its new technology but it might be worth looking into.
                    Wow...oook, is that the thing with a rotary of numbers? - I gotcha. I called today and got instructions on what to do. For clarification, albeit late now, was how should I approach the department.

Comment

Originally posted by CA Cop View Post
                      SFPD pays recruits $36.47/hour while in the academy. The training is provided for free upon acceptance into our academy.

Top step officer makes approximately $50/hour. At the end of the contract, a top step officer will make approximately $55/hour.

For further info, visit the site below:

http://sfbayareacops.proboards62.com
                      Thanks for the answering my question. Thanks also for the link - I joined and have been trying to keep up with the posts. It'll be a helpful resource, I'm sure.

Again, as someone already else asked too, but do you have any insight about the department and or its hiring process? Feel free to PM me. . .I'd welcome it.

Comment

bump.

It did that to me too, I think something is wrong with their system.

Comment

Hey IronBruin, this is off topic but I think you posted you were an academic year away from graduation and were applying now...Where are you in your processing and with what departments, if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Originally posted by Showboat View Post
                            Hey IronBruin, this is off topic but I think you posted you were an academic year away from graduation and were applying now...Where are you in your processing and with what departments, if you don't mind me asking?
                            PM sent

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3040 users online. 178 members and 2862 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X