300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mammoth Lakes vs. Bishop vs. Mono County

Looking for any feedback on these three departments...Thinking about a possible change of department...

Love that area and obvisously need to work.

Thanks

I spend about 4 months year in the Sierras and law enforcement up there is much different than So. Cal. All of the depts. are small, Bishop only has 20 or less officers. They do have a new female chief, A retired LAPD Captain.

Mono County has a huge patrol area and very few deps on duty. For example no one is on duty for graveyard shift, they are called from home to respond to a call for service. During the other shifts there are only 3 deps on duty for the entire county. Backup could be a hour or more away. I talked to a Deputy a while back and he told of holding felony suspects at gunpoint for 45 minutes before help arrived.

Mammoth Lakes is a PR dept. there is alot of money in the town and the majority of the community is ulta liberal in their views. During the ski season you have to deal with the tens of thousands of skiers that come to party.

I believe Inyo County Sheriff is hiring now, but then again a very small dept. with a huge area to patrol and very few Deps on patrol at any one time.

If I had to Pick I would take Mono County just because the area is a little nicer than Inyo County. But don't forget the winters can be brutal.
    Retired LASD

Comment

Thanks for the input. I appreciate the information, I have 13 years on teh job and am looking for a complete life change. The wife and will be emptynesters in 4 years and I still have 10 plus good years left. So I was thinking why not live where I wouldn't mind retiring?? Why wait??

Comment

I don't know how it is now, but several years back the new guys at Inyo SO either went into the jail or got sent to the Shoshone resident post just south of Death Valley. They stayed there until a new hire could take their place.

In addition, that had trouble hiring enough females to staff the jail 24 hours a day, so female prisoners were transported all the way to Bakersfield to be held in the Kern County jail. Don't know if that has been remedied as of yet.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
          I don't know how it is now, but several years back the new guys at Inyo SO either went into the jail or got sent to the Shoshone resident post just south of Death Valley. They stayed there until a new hire could take their place.

In addition, that had trouble hiring enough females to staff the jail 24 hours a day, so female prisoners were transported all the way to Bakersfield to be held in the Kern County jail. Don't know if that has been remedied as of yet.
          In the past few months, Inyo SO has been hiring custody jailers and have openings for Deps. They are still having to transport females to Bakersfield which basically takes a car out of service for the entire shift.
          Retired LASD

Comment

I did my time locked up...think I will have to pass on Inyo. Besides it is to far south for me, want to be in the Sierras not the desert. Thanks guys

Comment

Sorry don't have any knowledge of these areas and really like the upper owens valley and the mammoth area. Been going there since I was 6 months old and feel at home there. Thanks though...I appreciate all the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Gundo View Post
                Sorry don't have any knowledge of these areas and really like the upper owens valley and the mammoth area. Been going there since I was 6 months old and feel at home there. Thanks though...I appreciate all the info.
                Tuolumne County SO is hiring. The pay isn't all that great, but there are beautiful places to live: Sonora, Twain Harte, Strawberry, etc.
                Those who are successful at what they do don't give a rip about what others think about them.

We don't rent pigs.

Comment

Mammoth would be a wonderful place to work. It's the only place in CA I truly miss.

An old friend worked Mono Co. SD, he said the P/R part of the job sucked. They also, usually, did not arrest bouncers for DUI - giving them rides home. When I asked why, he said, "in a bar-fight, they're are only back up."
                  "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

guess that makes sense....there are places down here they don't arrest bouncers, but then again they don't arrest anyone

Keith are youe retired our are you working the front range somewhere???

My department is getting more and more PR based..guess it is the sign of the times..

Comment

I'm retired from the "big city, west coast" you would recognize the name/initials in an instant, after 30 years. We fled the rapidly emerging third-world nation of Kullyfornya to Colorado, last year. I still have a ten y/o and four y/o twins so I need med benefits that don't cost me $1,200 a month. I'm now a rookie cop in an area, much like the drive from Bishop to Mammoth (sorta like Tom's Place)

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Very nice....gotta be hard starting over and I congraulate you for taking the big risk....I love Colorado and will be there a week from Sunday...ahh 4 days of fly fishing while the wife is at a work training...

Comment

You mention Tom's Place, my second home. Just got back a few days ago after spending a week camping in Rock Creek and fly fishing the Upper Owens. That was my 9th trip this year.
                          Retired LASD

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
                            You mention Tom's Place, my second home. Just got back a few days ago after spending a week camping in Rock Creek and fly fishing the Upper Owens. That was my 9th trip this year.
                            In my best Borat voice, "Very nice!" Some guys have all the luck!

My 24 y/o son just got back home, today, from the Mammoth Lakes area.

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
                              How was the Upper ownes?? You fish abovethe bridge at all??

How about Rock Creek, how was the fishing there??

I fished the Owens the first part of August and back in March...a little cold but the fish were biting

I will fish outside of Fort Collins in two weeks...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5329 users online. 281 members and 5048 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X