300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LASD question

if a deputy qualifies with a patrol rifle, can they use their personal rifle if its approved, or can they only use department issued?
    Last edited by cbuckle; 08-26-2008, 12:46 AM.

We can only use departamental issued rifles. BTW theres deputies that have been on a while and have been waiting to go to the AR-15 course, its usually reserved for patrol deputies. I know very few custody deputies that are qualed w/ the AR-15.

It would be cool if we could buy our own, I have not heard anything regarding the Sheriff giving us letters.

Hell we just started getting rid of the Ithaca shotguns, and willl be replacing them with the Remington 870s over the next few years.
    sigpic

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    -George Orwell

Comment

department issued ar's (old and new) only...and the AR class is difficult to get into ..

Comment

Just got the AR-15 2 day class after 10 years on and 5 in patrol. I'm scheduled for the 870MAX shotgun class the second week of Sep...
        No we can't buy our own AR's yet, maybe when Baca retires and new blood steps in. The old brass doesn't quite understand yet that the AR has better accuracy and higher hit ratios than the shotgun in Dep involved shootings. That’s why some departments are trading in the shotguns for patrol rifles. The shotgun has devastating effects however I'd rather have an AR.
        LASD
        We do the best for less with less....

Comment

thanks for the info. thats too bad. what does the brass have to say about the situation? just that they arent needed or is it training/arming cost? hopefully it doesnt take another north hollywood event to get it done.

Comment

At Aardvark Tactical's Demo Day last year I saw several LASD deputies with personal 15's during the carbine class; two of whom were wearing their "Fort Apache" (East LA) tee shirts...OOPS, let me pick these dimes up I just dropped!
            The Thousandth Man

Comment

Originally posted by cbuckle View Post
              thanks for the info. thats too bad. what does the brass have to say about the situation? just that they arent needed or is it training/arming cost? hopefully it doesnt take another north hollywood event to get it done.
              I've been told that one of the main reasons for not authorizing personal ARs is the assault rifle ban.....MANY (as in around 80-90%) people in CA that owned the weapons refused to register them.........the dept brass doesnt want it to be an issue if they find out that the personal AR that gets used in an OIS happens to be unregistered......

There has been some talk going around of giving out some dept letters to allow the purchase of new AR class weapons, but I'm not sure how serious they where about that.

As it stands now, several cars per shift will have ARs in the trunk.....they are ANCIENT AR-15s, but they still go 'bang' most of the time
              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                There has been some talk going around of giving out some dept letters to allow the purchase of new AR class weapons, but I'm not sure how serious they where about that.
                The problem with getting a letter for the purchase of a new AR, is that the rifle's got to go to the department another officer or out of state upon retirement or resignation. CA's messed up ban, prohibits peace officers from keeping them once their status ends. Pretty damn stupid law, but I can see why management doesn't want to get involved in the issue.
                "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I've been told by reliable sources that buying your own dept approved AR is in the works down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                    The dept brass doesnt want it to be an issue if they find out that the personal AR that gets used in an OIS happens to be unregistered
                    Our Dept Brass need to grow some BALLZ and hold individuals accountable for their stupid actions. I've grown so tired of restrictive policy changes because of a few dumb individuals.

Take for example those dumb holsters they issued because some fools couldn't holster their weapons without shooting themselves in the leg. It was a simple remedy, keep your finger out of the trigger when re-holstering. A majority of officers and deputies across the United States have figured out how to accomplish this why were we so different. Why in the hell dose our Department treat us like Special Education students. If they continue to avoid confronting disfunctional individuals the department will continue to breed and retain disfunction..... Sorry for my rant
                    Last edited by L8SHIFT; 08-26-2008, 10:41 PM.
                    LASD

Comment

Originally posted by L8SHIFT View Post
                      Our Dept Brass need to grow some BALLZ and hold individuals accountable for their stupid actions. I've grown so tired of restrictive policy changes because of a few dumb individuals.

Take for example those dumb holsters they issued because some fools couldn't holster their weapons without shooting themselves in the leg. It was a simple remedy, keep your finger out of the trigger when re-holstering. A majority of officers and deputies across the United States have figured out how to accomplish this why were we so different. Why in the hell dose our Department treat us like Special Education students. If they continue to avoid confronting disfunctional individuals the department will continue to breed and retain disfunction..... Sorry for my rant
                      Agreed,,,,,,besides, I REALLY liked that holster

I would have signed a release to the effect of 'If I am dumb enough to shoot myself because of this holster, I promise to not sue'.......
                      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

The dept. will continue to treat us like special ed students because they train to the lowest common denominator. But let's not go there.

I loved the original Berreta holster too, almost as much as my old breakfront!
                        Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                        Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Five-0fromSoCal View Post
                          I've been told by reliable sources that buying your own dept approved AR is in the works down the road.
                          as a matter of fact, i heard the same thing this morning. and from a big dog, too.

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                            The problem with getting a letter for the purchase of a new AR, is that the rifle's got to go to the department another officer or out of state upon retirement or resignation. CA's messed up ban, prohibits peace officers from keeping them once their status ends. Pretty damn stupid law, but I can see why management doesn't want to get involved in the issue.

Actually, under a new federal and CA state statute(I can't find the sections right now), we peace officers who retire are elligible to own "assault weapons" as well as "high capacity" magazines. The officer would need to have retired with no reservations keeping him or her from owning or carrying a firearm. We just had a sergeant retire earlier this month and we deputies bought his Beretta for him and his 3 county issued 15 round magazines for him.

As of July there was a written proposal, very much like LAPD's, regarding personally owned AR-15's sitting on the Sheriff's desk. This proposal looks to allow deputies to purchase, (via unit commander/sheriff's signed letter head) and carry their own AR-15 rifle.

It's outlines are pretty simple. The weapon MUST be a Colt, have a barrel of at least 18inches, and be configured like any rifle currently issued by the department. EOTECH holosights could be affixed with an iron sight backup as inspected and approved by the Weapons Training staff. The deputies with these weapons would have to be trained and qualified via Weapons Training before going 10-8 with them. Upon retirement, the dputies would legally be allowed to keep them under those new laws.

A good friend at Weapons Training let me take a look at a copy of this proposal. It looks pretty good. Word has it that it's not the Sheriff but Tanaka who is the current roadblocker here...
                            Carpe Noctem

Comment

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
                              The dept. will continue to treat us like special ed students because they train to the lowest common denominator. But let's not go there.
                              Which explains my signature....
                              LASD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3465 users online. 241 members and 3224 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X