300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDPD waived my application

So just got a call from my background investigator and she asked me some questions about my past.. blah blah blah.

Then she asked me what have I done in college or past work experience that would relate to SDPD... uhh.... Im not really sure.. Ive only done sales and management

So told me she thinks I have potential and just wants to see me apply myself a little. Schedule some ride alongs, take AOJ classes (I have a BS in Management), visit the mira mar campus and then to email her but looks like the January academy is out of the question.

Im not sure how to take it, I was pretty sure my background was kind of weak but still really dissapointed right now. If I do all the things she told me to do I have a good shot to get into a later academy?
    Last edited by stojanowski; 08-20-2008, 03:25 PM.

It's really hard to say if you do all the things she told you to do, you have a good shot getting into a later academy. When you say the academy, you actually mean getting hired by SDPD. Every agency is different. ie - You might have all the qualities that SDSO is looking for but not necessary what SDPD wants. Don't throw all your eggs into one basket and apply to more agencies.

In your other post, you wrote "hope the don't dq me for previous terminations from jobs". In the beginning of this post you mentioned the BI asking about your past. While not an auto DQ, it could've been enough for her outweigh the good vs the bad.

Good luck.

Comment

You sold yourself short there. If you've worked in and/or studied sales and management, you most likely acquired some decent communication skills. Communication is HUGE in LE. Being able to establish rapport and communicate effectively orally and in writing are key.

Having a bachelors degree indicates you have the ability to start something and see it through until the end. This is a quality most, if not all departments are looking for.

You're in a good position. Follow her direction and be a little more confident. it sounds like you got a "not yet," which is far better than a flat out NO.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by R1pilot View Post
        You sold yourself short there. If you've worked in and/or studied sales and management, you most likely acquired some decent communication skills. Communication is HUGE in LE. Being able to establish rapport and communicate effectively orally and in writing are key.

Having a bachelors degree indicates you have the ability to start something and see it through until the end. This is a quality most, if not all departments are looking for.

You're in a good position. Follow her direction and be a little more confident. it sounds like you got a "not yet," which is far better than a flat out NO.

Good luck.
        X2

You need to sell yourself way better than that. Between your sales job and your college credits you should be able to sit down and have a well thought out reply to some of the simple questions that you see on interview panels such as

Why should we hire you?

What have you done to prepare yourself for this job?

Tell me about a time in your life where you have had to deal with a crisis.

Start practicing so the next time you have a better answer........ if you cant sit down and come up with some good info then you may be in trouble.

Comment

Set yourself up for success

STOJANOWSKI,
          Based on your response when the BI asked you about what have you done whether work experience or education wise that relates to law enforcement, you were not prepared. Im sure before you decided to apply to the san diego pd you researched on what the department is looking for in their applicants. I looked at the san diego pd website and under Job Dimensions for Police Officers, it states they are looking for applicants with integrity, interest in people, interpersonal sensitivity, communication skills, problem solving ablility, judgment under pressure, willingness to confront problems, physical ability, desire for self improvement, observational skills and others. I have seen that applicants have a misconception that departments are solely looking for applicants with a degree in criminal justice or prior military service. Now you state you have a BS in Management and work experience in sales. I am sure you had co-workers whom all had a common goal which is to make business flourish. That last statement already involves interpersonal sensitivity, communications skills, problem solving ability, willingness to confront problems and desire for self improvement. You have to come prepared. Know what skills you possess based on your work experience and education and state them when interviewed. You definitely had those skills however were not aware of it. By telling the BI " Uhhhhh, Im not really sure" shows you are not prepared. You never know who is going to talk you once you start your application to law enforcement agencies. Dont sell yourself short. You have the skills. Hope everything goes well for you.

Comment

Yea I figured I shot myself in the foot on that question... and then when i sat down and thought about it I was like I could have said this and this..

Basically that is what she said look at our website and make sure this is what you want to do.

She did bring up my recent termination and how I have only been at my job now for a couple weeks.

Looks like I will take 2 AOJ classes this semester do the ride alongs and maybe get in the academy after that.

I guess I should look for a second job to help make ends meet right now.

Comment

What's it mean when they wave your app.?

Comment

They wave it goodbye...

No she told me instead of a no its more like a maybe. She thinks I have potential I just need to apply myself and show them I really want this.

Also should I take the corrections AOJ course offered at grossmont or just the regular intro to AOJ and policing class?
                Last edited by stojanowski; 08-20-2008, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Hey Sto,
                  I'm taking ADJU 102 - CRIMINAL LAW I (3.0 Units ) at Miramar starting next week. It looks like it'll be a good intro ADJU class and also a good intro to PC's and such which should help get a headstart going into the academy. The online only class looks filled up but there's plenty of seats left in the other 2 sections. Best of luck to you.

LAPD's hiring too.....

Comment

Yea I jsut signed up for AOJ 110 and 120 (online) at Grossmont

Comment

So my girlfriends uncle said they waived my application probably because of all the jobs I had..

But the time I had a little of weird jobs was during high school and most were seasonal type stuff.

Once I got into college I got a job for the school district and worked there for about 4 years then I graduated and got my "career" where I work for 17 or 18 months before things went down hill and here I am today..

But I also talked to a friend/guy I know and I set up a ride along with him for next wednesday. So Ill go to work 7-1 and then cruise to san ysidro and patrol from 2 to 12....
                      Last edited by stojanowski; 08-29-2008, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GB0610
                        Having too many jobs is an issue I personally had to overcome and a common one for many applicants. I had a job for 1 semester and all summer each from the age of 15 through the end of high school. I worked a different job each your throughout college.

I assumed that everyone did that. Many depts acted liked I should have stuck with the same job throughout my schooling career. Go figure.

I've always said here in my posts that applicants need to gain STEADY employment. This has obviously become and issue for you.

But again, how in the world does taking a few AOJ classes fix this problem? Why would the recruiter suggest that, with you already having a BA/BS, and if your "issue" is employment?

Thats just what my girlfriends uncle said... He works for SDPD and has seen my BI around before.

But if thats what she wants me to do then I am going to jump through the hoops to make her happy, even if I have to take the academy through Grossmont for 3 semesters

Comment

Just out of curiosity, have you even taken the test yet?
                          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

What test? I have taken the written and physical and turned in my PHS

Comment

Originally posted by stojanowski View Post
                              What test? I have taken the written and physical and turned in my PHS
                              This sounds a little strange. The medical can only be given in connection with a bona fide offer of employment. (You are offered employment subject to you successfully passing the physical.) So, I guess you need to clarify what you mean when you say they "waived" your application. Are you saying they have decided not to hire you, period (DQ), or that you just didn't score high enough on the list to get picked up for the January academy, but will probably make it for the next one?

Remember, test results are usually good for a couple of years. If there are 40 slots in the January academy and you are number 42 on the list, it doesn't mean they are not going to hire you. It just means you probably won't get picked up until the next academy.
                              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4369 users online. 214 members and 4155 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X