300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LASD Oral interview

Does anyone know what kind of questions they ask you in the interview, what should I expect?

I can't give specific questions but I can say the following is important: know the duties of a deputy sheriff - remember, it's not just patrol like a PD; know why YOU are qualified to be a deputy sheriff and what you've done to prepare yourself for the career; know your strong areas and areas needing improvement; know the difference between "letter of the law" and "spirit of the law" and how to apply these to given scenarios.

It's one-on-one with a deputy. Very straightforward. Eye contact, business attire, confidence, and respect are key.

Much of what I noted above I discovered here:

http://www.lasd.org/recruitment/Oral_Interview.htm

Good luck!
    Last edited by Stugotz; 08-15-2008, 09:28 PM.
    Focused Recruit

Comment

Originally posted by Stugotz View Post
      I can't give specific questions but I can say the following is important: know the duties of a deputy sheriff - remember, it's not just patrol like a PD; know why YOU are qualified to be a deputy sheriff and what you've done to prepare yourself for the career; know your strong areas and areas needing improvement; know the difference between "letter of the law" and "spirit of the law" and how to apply these to given scenarios.

It's one-on-one with a deputy. Very straightforward. Eye contact, business attire, confidence, and respect are key.

Good luck!
      so very true. this is great advice and i'm only speaking from expirence. i too was in your position of not knowing what to expect. follow stugotz simple guide lines and you will do just fine. be sure to take a moment to think about the question before you answer. most importantly be confident and calm!!! good luck and keep us updated.
      "train beyond the pain and the only release is death"

Comment

Originally posted by Stugotz View Post

Good luck!
        +1

no reason to be nervous as they are not trying to find something to DQ u on, just looking to see if u are a good fit for the career. be honest and prepared and u should be fine. good luck.

Comment

Is a suit necessary or slacks and tie enough?

Comment

Suit.......

Comment

FULL SUIT for males and females. Dark color like black, grey, or navy blue. Pressed white shirt. Conservative tie. Shoes shined. Fresh hair cut. No facial hair for the guys. No cologne/perfume (it's a small room). Wedding ring only for guys, and for ladies wedding ring & minimal jewelry.

Appearance and presence are factored into the score. Like the link above notes:

AREAS OF EVALUATION:
              - Your interest in the position
              - Your appearance, grooming and attire
              - Attitude and demeanor
              - Communication Skills
              - Professionalism

APPROPRIATE GROOMING:
              1. Remember: First impressions are important.
              2. Departmental grooming standards are recommended but not mandatory.
              3. Proper business attire is recommended.
              Last edited by Stugotz; 08-16-2008, 12:46 PM.
              Focused Recruit

Comment

I'm gonna turn off the subject just a little. Can anyone tell me the passing score for LASD written exam? A year ago it was low, I think 33, just want to know if it's still that low. also will they take my score from Riverside sheriff?
                Post clever signature here.....

Comment

What if you can't afford a suit, all I have is slacks tie and dress shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by siryessir View Post
                    go to the place you rented one for prom lol jk.. im in the same boat as you.. i've heard there is a place in Ontario wear suits aren't that expensive , im going to have to look into it
                    Last edited by krispykreme; 08-16-2008, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Buy a matching colored sport coat from Burlington Coat Factory or some other large retailer. It'll run you about $40-$60 dollars. It's worth the investment.
                      Focused Recruit

Comment

Where is this place you speak of, whats it called?

Comment

If you are serious about LE for a career and plan on doing several oral interviews, as well as interviewing for other jobs, then I would suggest that you invest in a suit. You will need to wear one on several occasions. With the exception of one meeting, I wore a suit every time I did another step in the process.

When I went through the academy, I knew that I would need several suits and ones that I didn't care whether or not they "survived". I went to JC Penny and found really cheap suits ($80) that I could do push ups and mountain climbers in all day. You are going to need several, due to sweat/dirt.
                          The RANGER God cried from above
                          Lightning flashed from the darkened sun
                          Hailstones fell and the earth did mourn
                          It was a solem day for all Airborne
                          June 2001 will be
                          A tragic piece of RANGER history
                          Time stood still on that cursed day
                          Cuz legs were donning black berets

Comment

Where is this place you speak of, whats it called?
                            its called 3 day suit broker...its in Ontario on 6th and Mountain i think... never been there but my friend says the suits there are relatively cheap...

Originally posted by Ranger Hoot View Post
                            If you are serious about LE for a career and plan on doing several oral interviews, as well as interviewing for other jobs, then I would suggest that you invest in a suit. You will need to wear one on several occasions. With the exception of one meeting, I wore a suit every time I did another step in the process.

When I went through the academy, I knew that I would need several suits and ones that I didn't care whether or not they "survived". I went to JC Penny and found really cheap suits ($80) that I could do push ups and mountain climbers in all day. You are going to need several, due to sweat/dirt.
                            we are going to need several suits ... i have several black dress pants, it be nice if i can buy just a matching black sportscoat.. but thanks for the jc penny idea, im going to look into them!, the academy dont mind if our suits aren't top of the line do they? thank god the academy doesn't require imported Italian suits lol jk

Comment

I'm gonna hit up JC tomorrow. Now that I think about it I think Wal-Mart has suits too. A suits a suit I guess, as long as I dont look like a bum.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5523 users online. 326 members and 5197 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X