300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Diego PD Police Service Officer I

Anyone in the area have anything good or bad to say about the Police Service Officer job with SDPD?

I am weighing some options, thinking about applying. My family and I are thinking of relocating to California. I currently work as a Police Service Tech (parking and traffic enforcement) officer and have found this is similar to what I do now. I have almost 8 years as a dispatcher before making the switch to an enforcement position. Dont really want to go back to being a dispatcher but would if I find the right place.

I am thinking about going to college first and maybe going into a police officer position, but I think I am a few years away from doing that as I need to get some things in order before applying. Should I wait and move and finish school and then just apply to be an officer, or look at relocating to the area, apply for this and if I am hired, would it help me into getting hired into a police agency in the area?
    Thomas - aka HUCK
    PST II - Police Service Tech II

SDPD is a very good PD in my opinion, since you are already doing that type of PSO job and like it, I think it would be a wise choice, get your foot in the door and apply for Police Officer down the road if you decide.

Just curious, where you work now do you take "cold crime" reports and traffic accident reports ?

Comment

PSO is a great stepping stone. The pay is on the low side though. Dispatching pays a lot more. Both are good jobs to have before coming an officer. You do have to go through the whole officer process first.

I worked my way through college as a dispatcher, it was a pain. It took me 8 years. I'm debt free though.

If being an officer is what you want to do, we are hiring like crazy for it. The dispatcher and PSO jobs take longer to get.

Comment

I've Had To Fill In For Dispatchers Before.........i Think I'd Take The Lower Pay Before I'd Do That Again
        Last edited by WPD954; 08-14-2008, 05:14 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

WPD - We dont take the calls per say, more like assist the officers on the calls. What I do know involves parking enforcement writing citations, handling disputes in the parking areas, patrol lots and the roadway that runs through the airport area. Seems kinda like what I do now, with a bit more task. ANd I agree with you about dispatching - I would take the lower pay before being a dispatcher now that I have had a taste of what being out of the office is like.

Nobodyjr - I would like to get into an officer spot, but I am fighting with finishing college and staying where I am now and getting my credit in order and getting into better shape. Thats about 3 years away for me. Hopefully SDPD will still be hiring when I am ready should I decide to wait.
          Thomas - aka HUCK
          PST II - Police Service Tech II

Comment

they will be hiring, if not, plenty of other places will......sounds like a good move for you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6142 users online. 328 members and 5814 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X