300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? 4 Rso

I am a Pre-Service Applicant and toward the end of my process with RSO. I have completed the Poly, Med, Psych and have my Home interview next week. Saying that, I have a few quick ?'s.

Is the home interview the last step for RSO?

My BI suggested the opportunity to go straight to patrol (I know this may not actually happen) but is it more beneficial to do Jail time first? I don't mind if it will help me in the long run.

What should I do to prep before going 10-8. It looks like I may be starting within a few weeks.

Thanks for the help,

-Mesa-

how long has it been since you graduated?? If I were you, i'd go straight to patrol. Custody definately has its learning environment, but there's no substitute for street experience. If its been a short time since you went thru the academy, definately take the advantage of goin str8 to patrol while everything is still fresh in your head.

Comment

Originally posted by MESA View Post
      I am a Pre-Service Applicant and toward the end of my process with RSO. I have completed the Poly, Med, Psych and have my Home interview next week. Saying that, I have a few quick ?'s.

Is the home interview the last step for RSO?

My BI suggested the opportunity to go straight to patrol (I know this may not actually happen) but is it more beneficial to do Jail time first? I don't mind if it will help me in the long run.

What should I do to prep before going 10-8. It looks like I may be starting within a few weeks.

Thanks for the help,

-Mesa-
      Yes, the home visit is pretty much the final stages of the background investigation process. Your BI will interview those who you live with and call your parents if they don't live with you. So tidy up your place to make it presentable. Your BI and another detective will be visiting you, they will probably call you to let you know approximately what time they will be there (depending on how far you are from HQ...meaning, if you're close, they will probably do a surprise visit, if you're far (like me), then they want to make sure you're home). You'll want to dress up like you would in an interview (always look your best). They will also talk to your adjacent neighbors and inquire about you.

After the home visit, your BI will need to prepare their report...this may take a couple of days because they have 29 other files to juggle around. They will probably also visit your academy the same day to review your file and speak to your TO. They will also visit your current employer and review your file. If you have worked for any other law enforcement agencies, they will also visit them and review your jacket.

Your BI has probably informed you of their next hire meeting (its generally around the beginning of the month). This is when your BI will sell you to the Chief of Staff. She will then say yeh or ney, then your file will go to HR for processing. HR will take a week or two to give you the official results and schedule a time/day for you to get sworn in/orientation/paperwork done.

As for your assignment, you need to tell your BI where you prefer to work. Your BI will work with you and do their best to fullfill your request (dependent on the needs of the department). You may want to go to the jails first, but say they don't have spots available there, and are in need of patrol deputies in Palm Desert...then that's where you'd go.

You need to figure out what you're looking for...for me, the jail experience has been very beneficial...I've seen repeaters, and it teaches you how to talk to people. It builds up your confidence, and you have that time to learn about the policies and procedures of the department (which is HUGE at any department).

But your BI is also right, if you had just graduated from the academy, you should probably go straight to patrol while things are still fresh...but you must be confident in yourself. RSO does A LOT of paper...so if you're going to patrol right off the bat...you better be a very good report writer.

As for prepping...gain familiarity of where you're going to work...if it's patrol, you need to know the city (main streets). You need to know policies and procedures. You need to know the department's 11 codes, PC and CVC and they use the Adam, Boy, Charles alphabet...not the military. Read up on police reports so you can spit them out fast.

Also, know what duty weapon and backup weapon you're going to carry. Your BI will need to know this for his/her report so they know wither they need to supply you theirs. Your BI should have given you a list of departmental authorized weapons.

Good luck.
      "Think about the consequences before you mess with a Deputy Sheriff."

Comment

Thank you Viffer !! That was extremely beneficial to me. Exactly what I was looking for. What do you think about Jurupa Valley station? Good for a new cop?

Comment

Originally posted by Wanna Be Cop
          I thought your BI would be finish with your background when he comes to your house.

So, your BI doesnt go to your academy to review your file until after your home visit?
          The home visit is part of the background process, and is no guarentee to being hired.

I've seen backround investigators recommend to hire applicants only to be shot down at a higher level.

Comment

I know nothing is guaranteed until its in stone. But the BI will go to the final stage (home visit) and then go to the applicants employer just to findout this person has IA problems or just present employer problems in general?
            Is this a question or a statement?
            "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

I agree, I'm sure the BI already did.

Comment

IE Copper....do you know of any websites for OFFICERS to communicate with each other in forums like these? I think I ended up on policeapplicant.com by mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by WPD954 View Post
                  IE Copper....do you know of any websites for OFFICERS to communicate with each other in forums like these? I think I ended up on policeapplicant.com by mistake.
                  This place sure is deteriorating to that, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by WPD954 View Post
                    I thought I had logged into arrogantandignorant.com. I think WBC needs to come to my department so I can be his FTO
                    "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

lol........IE and ImachU....pm's in ur boxes

Comment

I noticed the conversation about my BI. To help, My BI sent out letters to my past employers a few weeks ago. She still needs to visit my current employer but that wont be any problem.

Comment

Good luck MESA, your almost there.....I just noticed you live in orange county, now I can understand the push for jurupa station.

Comment

I thought your BI would be finish with your background when he comes to your house.

So, your BI doesnt go to your academy to review your file until after your home visit?
                            No, not necessarily...it all depends on where you are located and which academy you attended. It's all about timing...when your BI is available to go out, and when he/she will be able to have another BI accompany him/her. They will generally try to do several home visits in the same day, especially if you live far away. Visiting your current employer and your academy will depend on them...generally they will try to do it in the same run.

Your BI will generally keep you posted on what is left in the process...but yes, the home visit is normally the tail-end of your background process. All that is usually left is a report to be written.

Comment

I understand that part, but I was just wondering what goes on during those 2to 3 months leading up to the final stage (home visit) if they never reviewed your file or contacted your present employer.

I know nothing is guaranteed until its in stone. But the BI will go to the final stage (home visit) and then go to the applicants employer just to findout this person has IA problems or just present employer problems in general?

It just seems like that would be the first thing to check before going any further with an applicant.

Well, there is extensive background on the applicant that goes on for about a month. The BI sends out your reference letters to your personal refs and your current and past employers and your parents/spouse/etc. Any IA or other employment issues should have came fourth on your PHS form. It would have also came out on your employer's reference letters. The BI visits your current employer to verify and make copies of your jacket. The same is done at your academy (if you're attending one or have attended one).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2669 users online. 133 members and 2536 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X