Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I visit Cali can I bring my service weapon?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I visit Cali can I bring my service weapon?

I'm driving to the LA area in 2 days and want to know if I can bring my weapon or if I should leave it at home. I've heard different answers in the past.

Any help would appreciated.
    I'm available to trade patches...just PM me

MCSO.org

as long as your a fulltime sworn peace officer you sure can, thanks to pres bush. I roll into your state and nevada packing all the time now, before bush signed that bill now that was a different story.

a matter of fact, don't leave home without it.

Comment

Originally posted by WPD954 View Post
      a matter of fact, don't leave home without it.
      I didn't want to...thats why I asked. Thanks!

MCSO.org

Comment

Boulder city Nv. pulled one of our guys over and threw a fit about him carrying in "his city". apparentley he wasnt aware of the change and was educated by both our officer and his own sgt.

Comment

I heard stories about out-of-state LEO's having their weapons taken from them by CHP, and having the guns kept for a long time.

I was told that I had to keep the gun in the trunk and the ammo in the glove box and even then I could have it taken.

I will leave my AR at home but my Glock will be my co-pilot

MCSO.org

Comment

no you can carry loaded and concealed, your good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfPack111 View Post
              I heard stories about out-of-state LEO's having their weapons taken from them by CHP, and having the guns kept for a long time.
              Never heard of such a thing. Irrespective of HR 218, which was not around when I was on the job, I have never heard of any out-of-state, legitimate LEO being hassled for CCW. All you have to have is your department ID and a happy attitude. Come on over and enjoy yourself. Lots to do and plenty to see!
              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Come on over and enjoy yourself. Lots to do and plenty to see!
                Just leave Mr. Glock in the car if you go to Disneyland, (Check recent thread).
                I have heard of LEOs from other states losing their hardware for a spell but it was always related to something they did with it while they were here, or a question about their credentials.

Comment

^ Adding to the Lt's post, here's a link from calccw.com that lists some vendors and their ccw policy. Keep in mind that calccw.com was written for civilian ccw's and policies may vary for LEOs.

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/where-can-t-i-carry

Comment

As long as you are an active deputy sheriff with your ID, you should have no problem. Do not get drunk, however. Then you will not be protected by federal law.
                    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I don't plan on going to Disneyland and I don't make a habit of carrying when I hit the bars.

MCSO.org

Comment

It may depend on the officer performing the stop, but I do remember seeing that LEO's are not exempt from the CA AWB in regards to carrying (bringing in) normal capacity ("high-caps") magazies in CA.

~~~~~~
                        17. Can active/retired officers carry large capacity magazines in states that restrict

large capacity magazines? PC 12020(b) exceptions?

It appears that under California law (12020(a)(2) PC), nobody may import large

capacity magazines into California. There does not appear to be an exemption

for law enforcement officers from other states. This may all lead somebody to ask

whether federal law enforcement officers moving or being relocated into this state

are in violation of California law if they bring their large capacity magazines

with them, since such officers are in violation of California law and there is no

exemption for them.
                        Last edited by FlyByWire; 08-13-2008, 09:05 PM.

Comment

We can carry high cap mags, why wouldn't an out of state leo be able to?

Comment

And would it really matter?
                            "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass -- and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam View Post
                              We can carry high cap mags, why wouldn't an out of state leo be able to?
                              Originally posted by shadowhaus View Post
                              And would it really matter?
                              You guys would certainly know more than me on the issue, no argument there... but I HAVE heard of officers getting into trouble for carrying even their issued weapon into California with 'high caps'.. again it will mostly depend on the officer...

...and granted, in all the issues I have heard about, the visiting officer was involved in something stupid to begin with, that led to officers 'tacking on' the high cap thing.

By no means am I trying to discourage a LEO from carrying into CA under HR218.. but just wanted to throw that out there. I work for the same agency as the OP (different role), and was just throwing a sugguestion out, respectfuly.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3296 users online. 164 members and 3132 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X