300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to take scratches off a badge?

So I took my star to employment services because the pin was broken, they wanted to issue me a whole new one. I told them I just wanted to get it fixed and keep my original number. They gave me a loaner, which happens to have a few scratches. I know its really not a big deal but I like to take pride in the things I wear. Is there any tips to take of the scratches off.

Supposedly the county does not have a contract with any badge companies to get it fixed (until september, so they say), so its going to take a while before I get my old one back. Any help would be highly appreciated.
    sigpic

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    -George Orwell

You can take it to a jeweler and have him polish it for a few seconds with the rouge wheel. If you swap back, any decent jeweler can fix or replace the pin on the back of your star, too. Hope that works for you.
    Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 08-11-2008, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Thank you sir, for the advice. I took it to a jeweler, he didnt want to touch it because of the enamel.

So I did it my self, I boiled it and took some never dull to it. It took the enamel off. Then I polished it with meguiars all metal polish. You could barely notice the scratches and it shines a whole lot better.
      sigpic

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
      -George Orwell

Comment

It took me a year and a half to get mine back. It's a sloooooow process I'd get the loaner punched (hole in the middle and screw on the bear) by a jeweler and tell em you'll keep it. You'll really be able to polish that sucker with the ability to remove the bear....
        LASD
        We do the best for less with less....

Comment

hey cruz, you don't happen to be the mike cruz that used to work for lapd are you?

Comment

This thread reminds me of my academy days. My first DI made my squad take our badges to a jeweler and buff the hair off the bear.

A week later we got a new DI and we got reamed for having the bear on the badge buffed nice and shiny. We all had to write a 10 page paper on cruelty to animals.
            Retired LASD

Comment

Originally posted by L8SHIFT View Post
              It took me a year and a half to get mine back. It's a sloooooow process I'd get the loaner punched (hole in the middle and screw on the bear) by a jeweler and tell em you'll keep it. You'll really be able to polish that sucker with the ability to remove the bear....
              A year and half WHAT! I know the county is slow but damn. Yeah now that I did all that work on the loaner I kinda like it more than my original. The punched idea sounds good, I just got to find a jeweler that is willing to do it.
              Thanks for the tip. I remember my platoon DI saying something about that.

WPD954, negative on the mike, I dont know too many LAPD that have switch to the county.
              sigpic

-George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by cruz0311 View Post
                A year and half WHAT! I know the county is slow but damn. Yeah now that I did all that work on the loaner I kinda like it more than my original. The punched idea sounds good, I just got to find a jeweler that is willing to do it.
                Thanks for the tip. I remember my platoon DI saying something about that.

WPD954, negative on the mike, I dont know too many LAPD that have switch to the county.

Used to be a jeweler in NWK's RD that punched Dep's bear. Don't know if he's still there.

Comment

I used "Simichrome" polish to keep my metal work shined. Use is sparingly, it is very abrasive if used in large amounts.

http://www.winterbrookfarmantiques.c...FRYcagodFQQPrg

Most motorcycle shops carry the polish. Additionally, some model/hobby shops carry the product.
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Amway "Anti-Tarnish Silver Polish" keeps #417 looking good for several months. It must have something in it to slow oxidation because my badge is solid sterling silver with no clear coat.
                    A year and half WHAT! I know the county is slow but damn.
                    My CHP brother had a 415 in the #1 / 405 SB and Cal-Trans found his badge in the ice plant a couple weeks later about 2 miles down from the incident. It took the State over a year to get his badge back. He said it was fixed but I think they just made him a new one. It was tweaked.

Comment

Here is what a jeweler would use to polish a precious metal - jewelers rouge. It is good for removing scratches, will not be overly abrasive and is low in residue. The only problem is that it is difficult to apply and use by hand. You really need a wheel. The second link carries the compound and various types of buffing wheels and cloths.

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTGY/jeweler-rouge

http://www.hobbytool.com/jewelersrou...gcompound.aspx
                      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by Five-0fromSoCal View Post
                        Used to be a jeweler in NWK's RD that punched Dep's bear. Don't know if he's still there.
                        That was "AAA Jewelers", no longer there....
                        LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4502 users online. 298 members and 4204 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X