Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How bad does it look if you've been fired from 3 jobs in your life?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad does it look if you've been fired from 3 jobs in your life?

One job I worked for for 5 1/2 yrs. got terminated for performance, which is the most recent. The second I worked for 3 yrs. got canned for attendance, third I worked for 3 months same problem with attendance. Is this a big problem when they look at you background? I have good explanations for the reason I got fired.

Originally posted by siryessir View Post
    One job I worked for for 5 1/2 yrs. got terminated for performance, which is the most recent. The second I worked for 3 yrs. got canned for attendance, third I worked for 3 months same problem with attendance. Is this a big problem when they look at you background? I have good explanations for the reason I got fired.
    They say in BGs that "past behavior is a predictor of future performance..."

That said, the problem you'll likely encounter is that the agency will see a pattern of terminations suggesting possible poor performance as an LEO.

As an example, they may say, "Since you were terminated for attendance in two jobs prior, how do we know you won't have poor attendance as an LEO?"

Not trying to discourage you, just giving you a heads-up based on my experiences in BGs. Roll the dice and see what happens.
    Last edited by Stugotz; 08-09-2008, 09:24 PM.
    Focused Recruit

Comment

Not good....

Comment

The two that were for attendance happened in 01'. The company was getting ready to shut down and they started nit picking. Clocking in more than 3 min. late and they were all over you.The second one I was working 2 jobs because my wife just had a baby, it got to be pretty exhausting. I guess it was a bad idea to try and work 18 hours a day.

Comment

The two that were for attendance happened in 01'. The company was getting ready to shut down and they started nit picking. Clocking in more than 3 min. late and they were all over you.The second one I was working 2 jobs because my wife just had a baby, it got to be pretty exhausting. I guess it was a bad idea to try and work 18 hours a day.
          The problem is, just because you are able to explain it, doesn't make you conduct acceptable. Try showing up for roll call three minutes late and watch your Sergeant hand you your as*. No matter how badly you need the money, if you work so many hours in an outside job that it impairs your ability to perform your duties as a cop, the lack of good judgment is demonstrates is like having the words "discipline me" tattooed on your forehead.

You are going have problems with a work history like this. You would probably do better by spending the next two to three years in a job where you earn good performance reports, maintain good attendance and have no history of being late. Once you establish yourself, then apply for a law enforcement position.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I was having those problems in 01'. I had a great attendance record with my previous job 5 1/2 years called off twice, never came in late. I'm not going to have any problems proving I'm reliable. I'm just wondering how the termination looks on paper.Thanks for helpful advice L-1

Comment

The company I worked for in 01' doesnt exist anymore they shut down in 02'. How will a BI investigator find out my work history. I'm not planning on being dishonest if asked about it but should I keep it to myself? I worked there from 99' to 01',just wondering.

Comment

The company I worked for in 01' doesnt exist anymore they shut down in 02'. How will a BI investigator find out my work history. I'm not planning on being dishonest if asked about it but should I keep it to myself? I worked there from 99' to 01',just wondering.
                You will get the direct question asking whether you have been terminated from a job ever, so you must answer honestly.

There are ways to find out too. Example, the Social Security Office has start/end dates for your jobs. The BI will either acquire this info or have you get it and provide it during BGs. You will have to explain why you ceased employment at that job and every other job listed. That the company is out of business won't matter.
                Focused Recruit

Comment

Getting fired recently for poor performance after 5 years with the employer indicates that you did not take your duties seriously, which is a major problem.
                  Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

This totally sucks, it seems like this is a pipe dream. I've had steady work for 2 years and it seems like it doesnt make a difference because of my past. Are there any background investigators on here that know for sure?

Comment

I'm not planning on being dishonest if asked about it but should I keep it to myself?
                      An omission is just as hard to explain as a dishonest answer. I'd fess up.

Comment

Are there any background investigators on here that know for sure?
                        Perhaps you should post your question here:

www.policebackground.net

Their forum is LAPD-oriented and is run by an LAPD BI.
                        Focused Recruit

Comment

Most general employment applications are asking this question right up front. They then give you a single line of space to explain things.

That being said, I would take the opportunity to fully explain your situations in a supplement to the application. At least if they see this issue and have some kind of aversion to it, they won't invite you to participate in the hiring process and you won't have wasted your time going through it just to find out later they have a policy against hiring someone who has been repeatedly fired. Palo Alto PD, for example, and others I have come across recently, list this very issue in the list of reasons for disqualifications.

Also, on the California POST Personal History Statement (PHS) (aka: background packet) you are required to list EVERY job you have ever had AND all periods of unemployment. I recently completed one and had to go back to when I was a paperboy in 1978!

I have some employment issues just like you and I am finally getting to the point I am tired of hiding and apologizing for the experiences I have had. They either like it or they don't and EVERYONE has some sort of issue that cannot be fully explained away by that person. These issues usually make a person who they are.

You didn't mention your age, but might the National Guard be a good way to develop some positive employment history and earn some extra money? I think last time I checked they were doling out bonuses and money for college.
                          Those who are successful at what they do don't give a rip about what others think about them.

We don't rent pigs.

Comment

Well Barkalot I'm 28, I'm not going to let this one issue stop me from trying.

Comment

Well Barkalot I'm 28, I'm not going to let this one issue stop me from trying.
                              I wouldn't let it stop you. I probably applied, tested for or was rejected by 20+ agencies before I finally got hired.

Just do what you can to shore up your credentials so to speak.
                              Those who are successful at what they do don't give a rip about what others think about them.

We don't rent pigs.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3315 users online. 211 members and 3104 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X