Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to MO

Hey all,

I know this should probably be in the Employment section but I posted it here because I wanted people from Arkansas to see it.

I am moving from California to Missouri in May, to Lampe, about 30 min from Branson. The house we are moving to is about 2 miles from the MO/AR state line. I have been looking at Springdale, Eureka Springs, Fayettville, etc as departments.

1. The question I have is what the requirements in AR? Is there any type of state POST system? I can not really find any website for them. I have also noticed that some departments will hire you as an officer and you have a year to go through the Academy.

2. I am 23, but have been in law enforcement since 1998. I was a police explorer for 4.5 years, worked security for 2 years, and I am currently a Tribal Ranger (Tribal Police basically) on a Federal Indian Reservation. I have worked as a ranger for 3 years. I have a lot of useful knowledge and training I have picked up from my years. I am also going through a 64 hour California POST PC 832 course in April. It is the minimum training requirement in California for a Peace Officer, and everyone knows CA has some of the strictest requirements for Peace Officers. I have taken NIMS classes, as well as other training provided by my department.

3. Would a department or the state take my training as experience to use on the point system?

4. Also can anyone recommend some department in the area?

5..Also I know in some states, Sheriff's Departments are pretty much civil officers that run the courts and serve papers, they do not really serve as law enforcement, like respond to calls, and act as primary law enforcement in the county. Is AR like that? In CA Sheriff's Deputies are full officers and patrol any areas that are not incorporated, they respond to calls and do the courts also, but they tend not to serve papers or stuff like that very much.

Thank You all for any help.

I posted the same thing (pretty much in the MO forum, incase you are seeing double) but like I said we will be moving to about a min or AR, so I am looking at both states. And no there is not an option of moving into AR.

You have to be certified in Arkansas, obviously. Fayetteville is a fast growing city, plenty of money, good equipment it seems, don't know much outside of that. I went on a ride a long with Rogers PD and wasn't impressed. Maybe it was just a bad experience, but their equipment/cars seemed pretty poor, the pay didn't seem impressive, and the morale wasn't exactly up there. On the upside they have a very nice police department. Springdale I don't know much about, but you never hear anything negative about it. Same with Bentonville, although you have to understand you'll probably be dealing with two different demographics between betonville and springdale.

Comment

Jason,

The best thing you can do is call standards and see what they say. I wouldnt rely on what matto says. Hes not an officer and you can see by some of his previous posts that he doesnt know what he's talking about.

I have posted the phone number for standards below. Give them a call and see what they say. I would bet they will ask you to fax or mail copies of all your current certifications and they will go from there. Unless things have changed recently you will have to live in the state to police in the state.

If you have some specific questions about Fayetteville or Springdale PM me I'll try to answer them. I know quite a few at Fayetteville and know the Chief at Springdale very well. They both have pretty good web sites.

Good Luck

#4 State Police Plaza Drive
      Little Rock, AR 72209
      Phone: 501/682-2260
      http://www.clest.org/clest_home.html

Comment

Originally posted by DrPePPer
        Jason,

The best thing you can do is call standards and see what they say. I wouldnt rely on what matto says. Hes not an officer and you can see by some of his previous posts that he doesnt know what he's talking about.

I have posted the phone number for standards below. Give them a call and see what they say. I would bet they will ask you to fax or mail copies of all your current certifications and they will go from there. Unless things have changed recently you will have to live in the state to police in the state.

If you have some specific questions about Fayetteville or Springdale PM me I'll try to answer them. I know quite a few at Fayetteville and know the Chief at Springdale very well. They both have pretty good web sites.

Good Luck

#4 State Police Plaza Drive
        Little Rock, AR 72209
        Phone: 501/682-2260
        http://www.clest.org/clest_home.html
        You don't have to be certified in Arkansas to be a police officer?

Comment

Good Job Matto you just proved my point.... You do have to be certified in Arkansas if you want to be a police officer in Arkansas. What standard does is coverts your previous certification from whatever state you are from and IF it meets Arkansas standards then you are certified in Arkansas. It easy to be confused by the process. Arkansas also allows persons to work for up to a year prior to certification. It varies by department policy...my dept wont allow this...if you get hired you go to the academy usually within two to three weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by DrPePPer
            Good Job Matto you just proved my point.... You do have to be certified in Arkansas if you want to be a police officer in Arkansas. What standard does is coverts your previous certification from whatever state you are from and IF it meets Arkansas standards then you are certified in Arkansas. It easy to be confused by the process. Arkansas also allows persons to work for up to a year prior to certification. It varies by department policy...my dept wont allow this...if you get hired you go to the academy usually within two to three weeks.
            Okay, and I stated you have to be certified in Arkansas to be a police officer, so either way my statement is basically what you just pointed out.. Theres no reason to be disrespectful about it, though, I believe we're all adults.
            Last edited by Matto; 03-28-2007, 03:44 PM.

Comment

I wasnt being rude I just pointed out your mistake. All I said was is not to rely on what you said because of some of your past posts. It was all the truth. If you look at your posts one says you have to be certified and the other says you dont.

but tell you what I will just pm your mistakes to you so you can go back and edit if you want. If I make one you can pm me.That way neither of us will highjack jason's topic.

Jason let me know if you need anything and I'll try and help you out. They have some pretty good info on the web site, if you look at the commision meeting notes it appears there was someone who just went through the same thing your asking. If nothing else you can take your case to the commision and they can make a decision.

Comment

If you want to work AR Springdale or Fayetteville would be best. But having worked that area you are moving to I would suggest Springfield MO police Dept. or if you dont mind putting yourself through the academy Stone County SO is not bad at all. Good Sheriff and professional staff. PM for any specfic info on that area, I lived and worked around there for years.

Comment

Well I submitted on online Resume a few days ago to Rogers PD. And I got a letter from them today, with an application. The letter said to consider it as a notice of the upcoming Civil Service Commission Exam. Only problem is that the exam is on May third, and I will still be in California at that time. I am going to MO for the first time, later this week to move stuff out there as my gf will be moving out there. But I wll be turning around and coming straight back. So there is no way that I would be able to drive back there again a week later, than again in the middle of May to actually move out there.

So my question is, does anyone on here in the "know" happen to know, no pun intended, when the next Civil Service Test will be for Rogers, after the middle of May?

Comment

UPDATE - I turned in my resume and application to two departmentsin Arkansas, one an SO and the other a PD, last week. I got a call today from the Chief of the PD, and have an interview tomorrow. So I KNOW all will go well. It's a small town along the AR/MO border in NW AR.

Comment

Good luck, it's a good area.

Comment

Went to the interview today... He said he has to looking to working in one state, and living in another, but it looks promising. He is seemed concerned that the only ties I have to the area is my Fiance, and if she looses her job than I would have no place to live, and we would have to move. But that is not likely. The people she works for love us, so no worries there, plues I love it out here, I would just see if I could get a house out here. I want to stay out here no matter what.

I think he wants me, at least it seemed that way, but said it is not up to him, he lets his supervisors decided on who gets hired, becasue HE does not work with the patrol staff, they do. Which I thought was cool. Its a small dept only 10 officers.

He pretty much told me that I would be working night shift, and I would be assigned a unit, not a take home, but assigned none the less, and I think it would be a 1998 CVPI as he said it was the oldest they have. He also said that I would have to go through the academy a min of 3 months, then I will be a "trained officer" then after a year I will be certified.

But it all depends on if the state line is a problem, but if it depends on residency, I have a PO box in the state, so I can always get a AR state license, based on the PO Box, I have seen it done before, so I am hoping that will be the Loop Hole if it comes down to it.

I looked up on the Commissions website today, and there is no requirement that states that I have to live in the state. It also says that I have to have a Valid Drivers License, not even mentioning that I have to have one ISSUED from THAT STATE. So it looks pretty good so far, I just hope my credit will not be an issue, but people make mistakes, and I am still paying for them, but in time.....

Here is the website...http://www.clest.org/regulation_1002.html

But for now, it seems like I maybe in, just have to go for another interview infront of the "board" of other officers and do background.

ALL equipment is issued, from uniforms, belts, gear, and firearms, which is suprising seeing how it is a very small department.

Comment

Do You Know If The Dept Ur Looking At Has Anymore Openings.OR ANYONE ELSE IN THAT AREA?.im Cert In Mo And Looking To Move Back To That Area..im In Texas Now
                          Last edited by cmv_5; 06-10-2007, 10:48 PM.
                          --Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6--

"In God we trust, all others we run through NCIC"

Comment

I just went for another interview today, and got hired. In fact I start tomorrow and as soon as I get my uniforms, I guess I will go out on patrol. I love it out here, it is a great area and a great state.
                            Last edited by PTR-Jason; 06-14-2007, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Jason all I can say is I hope you didnt get hired on at the Eureka Springs PD.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6597 users online. 362 members and 6235 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X