Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things to do along 30/40

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Things to do along 30/40

    My wife and I will be driving to Houston from Chicago in november. On the way back we'll have some extra time. Is there anything worth seeing on the drive up? We'll be travelling on 30 and then 40 e/b at Little Rock. Neither of us has been to Arkansas, so anything would be new.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Item9 View Post
    My wife and I will be driving to Houston from Chicago in november. On the way back we'll have some extra time. Is there anything worth seeing on the drive up? We'll be travelling on 30 and then 40 e/b at Little Rock. Neither of us has been to Arkansas, so anything would be new.
    Man, I wish I could help you. The best thing you're going to see on that route is a Cracker Barrel restaurant on I-40 at the Springhill exit in North Little Rock.
    Invisible Signature.......FAIL

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by RDEP View Post
      Man, I wish I could help you. The best thing you're going to see on that route is a Cracker Barrel restaurant on I-40 at the Springhill exit in North Little Rock.
      There's another one in Caddo Valley off I-30, but then of course restaurants congregate along interstates here as they do everywhere. I'm not a Cracker Barrel fan personally. I grew up eating real homecooking and now prefer to go out for steak, Mexican, or Italian.

      You're not far from a couple of state parks if you take that route. Your choices are probably Toltec Mounds, Pinnacle Mountain, DeGray Lake Resort, and Historic Washington. www.arkansasstateparks.com

      If you're a Clinton fan you've got his Presidential Library in Little Rock along with some other museums none of which probably compare to what's in Chicago, a somewhat neat river market district, and the USS Razorback submarine.

      Don't judge Arkansas based on what you see on the east side of the state either, lol.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
        There's another one in Caddo Valley off I-30, but then of course restaurants congregate along interstates here as they do everywhere. I'm not a Cracker Barrel fan personally. I grew up eating real homecooking and now prefer to go out for steak, Mexican, or Italian.

        You're not far from a couple of state parks if you take that route. Your choices are probably Toltec Mounds, Pinnacle Mountain, DeGray Lake Resort, and Historic Washington. www.arkansasstateparks.com

        If you're a Clinton fan you've got his Presidential Library in Little Rock along with some other museums none of which probably compare to what's in Chicago, a somewhat neat river market district, and the USS Razorback submarine.

        Don't judge Arkansas based on what you see on the east side of the state either, lol.
        I can't imagine why you would possibly try to steer him towards a State Park!?!?! Do you get commission on visitors? Anyway, yes, the Clinton center is interesting, but somewhat boring. The USS Razorback is a waste of time. River Market is okay, but not much really going on there.
        Invisible Signature.......FAIL

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by RDEP View Post
          I can't imagine why you would possibly try to steer him towards a State Park!?!?! Do you get commission on visitors? Anyway, yes, the Clinton center is interesting, but somewhat boring. The USS Razorback is a waste of time. River Market is okay, but not much really going on there.
          Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. We gotta make extra dough somehow. lol


          I actually have not been to the bubba center, but I'm sure someday in the future I will. I haven't seen the USS Piggy either, but I'd still like to despite your negativity, lol. I'm sure if it had been the USS Terp you'd love it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
            Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. We gotta make extra dough somehow. lol


            I actually have not been to the bubba center, but I'm sure someday in the future I will. I haven't seen the USS Piggy either, but I'd still like to despite your negativity, lol. I'm sure if it had been the USS Terp you'd love it.
            Why the cynicism? See, REAL cops (not the squirrel chasers) work off-duty at a convenience store or something and don't have to resort to bribery to get people to come to town for extra money. Anyway, the Razorback is okay. It's not really anything I'd spend money on though. And don't knock the Terps, they have sharp teeth!
            Invisible Signature.......FAIL

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RDEP View Post
              Why the cynicism? See, REAL cops (not the squirrel chasers) work off-duty at a convenience store or something and don't have to resort to bribery to get people to come to town for extra money. Anyway, the Razorback is okay. It's not really anything I'd spend money on though. And don't knock the Terps, they have sharp teeth!
              Yeah, I've never cared for working after work, lol.

              At least razorbacks are mammals!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
                Yeah, I've never cared for working after work, lol.

                At least razorbacks are mammals!
                They're mammals that can't seem to kick a field goal!

                Clear out your PM box, I can't reply until you do.
                Invisible Signature.......FAIL

                Comment


                • #9
                  The old PMer was full. I never thought I'd see the day.

                  Item9, sorry to have jacked your thread.
                  Last edited by ArkansasFan24; 10-27-2009, 08:45 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by RDEP View Post
                    They're mammals that can't seem to kick a field goal!

                    Clear out your PM box, I can't reply until you do.
                    Hard to kick with cloven hooves.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      That's OK, thanks for the replies. We will check out some of those national parks.

                      Although you might think the drive is boring (nothing but a cracker barrel), I am positive it's much less boring than the drive from southern IL to Chicago. It's nothing but flat and corn. No trees, no water, no nothing. Just stripe of corn after corn

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Eh....they're state parks. Hot Springs, Buffalo River, and Pea Ridge are all national parks here but well out of your way. Rest assured there is much more to eat than Cracker Barrel. Every interstate town has mega-eateries. Have a safe trip. Sounds like an interesting drive.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Too bad the Marshals Museum hasn't been built in Fort Smith yet.
                          "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
                          -George Orwell

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ArkLawman View Post
                            Too bad the Marshals Museum hasn't been built in Fort Smith yet.
                            True, I so can't wait for that to open. It's going to be pretty awesome.
                            Invisible Signature.......FAIL

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yeah about a month ago some jerk said he'd heard they were "near completion." Got my hopes up. I looked online and nope.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4458 users online. 311 members and 4147 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X